Ruger Forum banner

14401 - 14420 of 14472 Posts

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,121 Posts
Ruger Forum dot Net > “Tavern” (where all general non-firearm discussions go) > “The One and Only Car/Truck Thread”. Third sticky thread pinned at the top.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depending where you are in the country, have that bourbon with a splash of real maple syrup in it. Delish! The cooler weather just makes it the perfect fall drink!

·
One Star
10,065 Posts
I don't believe the Walter Reed doctors!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Depending where you are in the country, have that bourbon with a splash of real maple syrup in it. Delish! The cooler weather just makes it the perfect fall drink!
I won’t go into the long story but a dash of vanilla
Is very good in bourbon and better in bourbon and coke. Vanilla really pops in bourbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Haven’t drank bourbon in many years. The last time it was Jim Beam & I woke up the next day saying “never again!”! Maybe I need a shot of some better bourbon & just a shot, not half a fifth like 15 years ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
One Star
10,065 Posts
Rest in peace Jonny Nash," I can see clear now the rain is gone."

·
Registered
896 Posts
Kentucky Bourbon is the best, accept no substitutes. The best flavor of Bourbon in my opinion is... Bourbon flavored Bourbon. Keep the sweets and fruit out of it.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,121 Posts
Bourbon is a style of whiskey. (Note the “e”.) Whether it’s made in Kentucky or elsewhere makes no difference, although most of the good ones come from there.

US federal standards require it to be made in the United States, made from a mash bill of at least 51% corn, aged in new charred oak barrels, distilled to no more than 160 proof, barreled at no more than 125 proof, and bottled at 80 proof or more.

It could be made in Idaho and still be Bourbon.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Not according to folks in Kentucky ... but do as you will

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,121 Posts
When I toured Buffalo Trace (in Kentucky) that’s exactly, word-for-word, what our guide Jimmy told us. He said you could make it anywhere in the US as long as it meets the standards in 27 CFR. Then he sort of poked fun at some of the local competition who have tried to build a brand niche on a fake, local “mystique”.

He also mocked some people’s idea that you’ve got to drink it a certain way, noting how versatile it is. (Relatively few great cocktail recipes are based off of scotch or Irish whiskey, compared to American corn- and rye-based whiskeys.)

While there may be very slight differences in local water chemistry, there are plenty of places in the US with good whiskey-making water. The big local advantage they cited was specifically the proximity of oak stave sources. That would have been an advantage 100 years ago but not today with an interstate highway system. And most of their grain isn’t even local.

There could be a climate factor but again, KY’s climate and air quality isn’t particularly unique, and most bourbon doesn’t age in the barrel very long anyway. American bourbon won’t have a fraction of the regional variation that (longer aged) scotch whisky has from the highlands to, say, the ocean seaside Islay distilleries.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Had to clean up my motorcycle last night after getting rained on Saturday. All in all a pretty nice evening.
I have a rule when riding. First drop of water that hits you is God's fault. Second drop is your fault! I don't ride in the rain, and I even got linked ABS.

Here's a pic might interest some here, that's me on the left + a buddy who wanted to tag along on the right. Now, guess the blond's name in the middle?

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
When I toured Buffalo Trace (in Kentucky) that’s exactly, word-for-word, what our guide Jimmy told us. He said you could make it anywhere in the US as long as it meets the standards in 27 CFR. Then he sort of poked fun at some of the local competition who have tried to build a brand niche on a fake, local “mystique”.

He also mocked some people’s idea that you’ve got to drink it a certain way, noting how versatile it is. (Relatively few great cocktail recipes are based off of scotch or Irish whiskey, compared to American corn- and rye-based whiskeys.)

While there may be very slight differences in local water chemistry, there are plenty of places in the US with good whiskey-making water. The big local advantage they cited was specifically the proximity of oak stave sources. That would have been an advantage 100 years ago but not today with an interstate highway system. And most of their grain isn’t even local.

There could be a climate factor but again, KY’s climate and air quality isn’t particularly unique, and most bourbon doesn’t age in the barrel very long anyway. American bourbon won’t have a fraction of the regional variation that (longer aged) scotch whisky has from the highlands to, say, the ocean seaside Islay distilleries.
When I toured Wild Turkey Distillery our tour guide said the opposite, Ky was the only place true bourbon can be made.

14401 - 14420 of 14472 Posts