Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

A buddy of mine recently gave me a barrel for the Ruger P-Series guns. He said that it was made by Ruger back in the 1980's some time. I'm planning on putting it into my P85-MKII.

I thought a dual caliber P-Series would be cool.

Z

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I have been curious about after doing a bit of light research on a couple of forums. I see mention of a dedicated guide rod and spring that was supposed to accompany this barrel. I did not receive said guide rod and spring.

How critical is replacing the guide rod in a P85-MKII? Has anybody else done this barrel swap?

Registered
The problem may be in the strength of the spring. If the 9mm spring is too strong, the gun may not cycle. If it is too weak, the gun will take a pounding. I do not know how the 2 calibers stack up with recoil, but that is what I would be most worried about if the fit is correct.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
The problem may be in the strength of the spring. If the 9mm spring is too strong, the gun may not cycle. If it is too weak, the gun will take a pounding. I do not know how the 2 calibers stack up with recoil, but that is what I would be most worried about if the fit is correct.
So a lighter recoil spring might be in order . . . . . .

Anyone know why the second guide rod?

Registered
So a lighter recoil spring might be in order . . . . . .

Anyone know why the second guide rod?
I have two P89x's that have the 30 luger barrel and guide rod with springs, i'm not 100% sure you can drop the 30 luger into a P85 and as others have said the spring for the 9mm might be two strong ...

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I have two P89x's that have the 30 luger barrel and guide rod with springs, i'm not 100% sure you can drop the 30 luger into a P85 and as others have said the spring for the 9mm might be two strong ...
I would love to see a photo of one of those. Is the model number rollmarked into the side of the slide as above? Is it stamped P89X?

Just curious.

Anyway, I am bound and determined to get this barrel to fit into the P85. Where there's a will . . . . . . .

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Very interesting. I guess the only way to know if a P89 is an "x" model is as evidenced by the presence of the additional barrel, and possibly a serial number within a certain range?

Anyway, I tried to install this barrel into my P85-MKII. As with any good "1911," there are no "drop in parts." "Some fitting" will be required.

Registered
I have three P89X's all verified by Ruger and box labels marked as such
, sold an extra barrel and guide rod a while back to a fellow with a older P89 and the barrel would not fit. He called Ruger and they said the older (first) model P89 was a different creature and the barrels would not interchange. I think if you can get the barrel to fit and work a lighter spring from Wolff would be fine on the factory guide rod.
I have a spare barrel and factory guide rod but not quite ready to let them go yet.
Good Luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I have three P89X's all verified by Ruger and box labels marked as such View attachment 144926 View attachment 144928 , sold an extra barrel and guide rod a while back to a fellow with a older P89 and the barrel would not fit. He called Ruger and they said the older (first) model P89 was a different creature and the barrels would not interchange. I think if you can get the barrel to fit and work a lighter spring from Wolff would be fine on the factory guide rod.
I have a spare barrel and factory guide rod but not quite ready to let them go yet.
Good Luck.
Well, if these barrels do not "drop-in" to early P89's they sure as heck won't drop into a P85-MKII, and I proved that to myself yesterday.

Enamored at the thought of having a "dual caliber" Ruger P-Series, I set out do do a "drop-in" barrel conversion on my trusty P85.

Like with any good "1911", there is no such thing as a "drop-in" barrel, at least not with this Ruger. Getting the barrel into the slide and the slide back on the frame was simple einough. Everything went back together just swimmingly. Then I tried to retract the slide . . . . . .

Rut-roh. The slide would not move backwards, not more than a 1/4". The barrel it seems, would not drop down far enough into the frame to clear the slide. Worse yet (any of you familiar with the take down of a Ruger P-Series should be able to commiserate with this) the take down tab INSIDE of the frame had snapped back into the "don't remove" position.

So now I had a problem. I needed to retract the slide to move the take down tab into the position needed to remove the slide, but I could not retract the slide to move the take down tab into the position needed to remove the slide! AAAARRRRRGH . . . . . . . !

Somewhere, someplace along the development line, some engineer at Ruger must have experienced this EXACT same thing. Those that have one of these tanks can confirm. There is a little hole at the top of the take down tab. Why is it there? So Zoid can reach up in through the magazine well with a stainless steel hook and grab the take down tab to move it into the position needed for me to remove the slide . . . . . . . .

Fortunately, it didn't take me long to figure this out. A couple years ago, I would have had a non-functional gun for weeks . . . . .

Anyway, after taking off the slide and .30 Luger barrel, I quickly saw why the slide wouldn't retract.

Here is a photo of how the original 9mm barrel sits within the rails of the frame.

And here are photos of the profile differences between the two barrels. The 9mm is on the left.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You can see that the original 9mm barrel (on the left) has flat lands or shelves that rest down inside the frame slide rails. The angled surfaces of the .30 Luger barrel prevent it from dropping into this recess and the hood of the barrel will not clear the slide.

The way a P-Series take down works, you don't need to retract the barrel except when disassembling. The slide will go back on with the barrel in the locked position - except the take down tab that allows you to remove the slide, now snaps back into the "locked" position requiring you to retract the slide . . . . .

Anyway, I repeat myself. I was able to reach up through the magazine opening and pull the take down tab into position to get everything apart.

Once apart, I got out the dremel, files, and sandpaper to mimic those shelves seen on the 9mm barrel into the .30 Luger barrel.

After much arduous work (most of it over my lunch break at work) I ended up with a barrel shaped like this.

While it's not the BEST looking hatchet job I've ever done, it functions and allows the new .30 Luger barrel to sit like this.

Z

Registered
Seems to me that it would have been easier to just buy a P-89, and then you'd have a P-85 9mm and a P-89 convertible.

Just like how years ago a friend gave me the half box of .38 Special +P ammo left over from his days as an armed security guard. So I had to buy a Blackhawk to use it up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Seems to me that it would have been easier to just buy a P-89, and then you'd have a P-85 9mm and a P-89 convertible.

Just like how years ago a friend gave me the half box of .38 Special +P ammo left over from his days as an armed security guard. So I had to buy a Blackhawk to use it up.

One would imagine, but I've heard of these .30 Luger barrels not fitting the early P-89's. That would leave me in the same position I would imagine.

Besides, I like tinkering, learning, and owning something nobody else has.

Z

Registered
I have three P89X's all verified by Ruger and box labels marked as such View attachment 144926 View attachment 144928 , sold an extra barrel and guide rod a while back to a fellow with a older P89 and the barrel would not fit. He called Ruger and they said the older (first) model P89 was a different creature and the barrels would not interchange. I think if you can get the barrel to fit and work a lighter spring from Wolff would be fine on the factory guide rod.
Good Luck.
moparclan ... I'm fully aware of your prowess when comes to our beloved P series. You and I have chased the next best deal on P series a time or two. I, myself have 2 of the P89x's. Always looking for another one or two or maybe three ... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
My concern is the spri g for the 9mm won't function with the 30 luger, please keep us posted on your test firing ...
The ammo I found was on the hot side for. 30 Luger. It was 95 grain, 1280 FPS if memory serves me correctly, which it never does. Muzzle energy was around 410 ft/lbs, so if the spring isn't new (I've never replaced it) I have high hopes. If I need to get a lighter spring for it, that's a small problem to solve.

I'll give y'all a report as soon as the ammo arrives, and I get out to the range.

Z

1 - 20 of 23 Posts