Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Officials: Boy, 7, shot to death outside Pa. gun store Updated: 12/08/2012 03:12pm

MERCER, Pa. (AP) — Authorities say a 7-year-old boy was shot to death when a gun accidentally went off as his father was getting into his truck outside a western Pennsylvania gun store.

The boy was shot Saturday morning at Twigs Reloading Den in East Lackawannock Township, 60 miles north of Pittsburgh. Store owner Leonard Mohney says it happened in the parking lot.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the boy was shot when his father's handgun went off as the man got into the truck while holding the gun.

Police say 44-year-old Joseph V. Loughrey told them he had emptied the magazine but didn't realize a bullet was still in the chamber. Seven-year-old Craig Allen Loughrey was shot in the chest and died at the scene.

State police are investigating the shooting as an accident.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Very sad...
May God rest the soul of that little boy & comfort the family; no one else can feel their loss...

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
Sad and sickening.
Yet another case where a clueless gun owner dropped the magazine, thought that unloaded the gun, and didn't check his weapon. Stupid!

How incredibly irresponsible for a person who doesn't know jack sh*t about his firearm to carry it loaded out of the store... much less with a 7 year old boy at his side.

Yes it was an accident but this father should be prosecuted for reckless endangerment, and perhaps for involuntary manslaughter.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Officials: Boy, 7, shot to death outside Pa. gun store Updated: 12/08/2012 03:12pm

MERCER, Pa. (AP) — Authorities say a 7-year-old boy was shot to death when a gun accidentally went off as his father was getting into his truck outside a western Pennsylvania gun store.

The boy was shot Saturday morning at Twigs Reloading Den in East Lackawannock Township, 60 miles north of Pittsburgh. Store owner Leonard Mohney says it happened in the parking lot.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the boy was shot when his father's handgun went off as the man got into the truck while holding the gun.

Police say 44-year-old Joseph V. Loughrey told them he had emptied the magazine but didn't realize a bullet was still in the chamber. Seven-year-old Craig Allen Loughrey was shot in the chest and died at the scene.

State police are investigating the shooting as an accident.
Such a familiar fatal error...what's the first rule in gun safety???

Utterly heartbreaking event. I thought of my seven year old grandson as I read this story...

·
Banned
402 Posts
How did it get pointed at his Son ???
AND WHY WAS HIS FINGER ON THE TRIGGER

These kinds or stories make me absolutely sick.
Yes I agree--no accident here--

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Always treat a gun a LOADED!!!!! Amazing of truly stupid people can be.

Now a little boys dead because this Guy didn't follow rule one. TREAT ALL FIREARMS AS IF LOADED...

Now in addition to the family dealing with this, the anti gun nuts are going to jump all over this and another business gets bad press, an gun store to boot.

Want to bet the mother sues the gun store for allowing a customer to have a firearm on property? Even though the idiot is her husband.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
SAD, prayers to the family

Remember the 5 Ps

1.Point on a safe direction with finger off trigger
2.Put on the safety
3.Pull out the magazine
4.Pull the bolt ,slide or changing handle to the rear and lock open
5.Physically (finger) and visually verify the chamber is clear

This works on the majority of semi auto pistols, rifles and shotguns. Exceptions are the 1911 types were safety locks the slide so cannot do step 4 due to step 2.

How often do people rack the slide with mag in , then drop mag and feel safe as they saw the chambered round eject. And there the stand with a fresh round in the chamber thinking the gun is safe.

I use this when ever I pick up a gun or unloading what I am shooting.

Just my way, not THE way

·
Registered
25 Posts
Even though the father is going through a horrible situation, I agree he should be prosecuted for the death of that poor child. Terrible situation or not, he needs to be held accountable.

·
Finishing the Unfinished
253 Posts
I just recently started teaching my daughters about shooting. And even though I started with an air rifle, the first thing I told them is "This gun is always loaded."

The father's actions, lack of caution, plain foolishness with a firearm with his son present is just despicable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sad very sad. I have a 7year old girl and I carry everday. But I never take my gun out of the holster around her. I feel like I am a responsable gun owner but I also feel around any child you can never be to causious

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Safety..... Safety..... Safety.
The father now has the rest of his life to realise his stupidity.

·
US Constitution Defender
889 Posts
This is so so sad.

A (presumed) mistake like this is so devastating to families.

My first thought was if this dad had carried a revolver instead of a semi-auto the chances would have been reduced and perhaps his son would still be alive.

That's not to say that an accidental shooting can't happen with a revolver but I have witnessed an unintentional human error discharge very up close and personal and it was a decades experienced gunsmith and concealed carry instructor who made the mistake and pulled the trigger on a semi-auto pistol he had racked assuming a clip was not in the pistol.

At least he had it pointed down at his work bench when it discharged.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
This is tragic, on so many levels. But, while I agree with every post above, decrying and condemning the reckless, irresponsible gun handling practice's of the father, all I can think of is the depth of grief and despair he must feel.

Trust me, I'm not sentimental or a bleeding heart type. Just the opposite. But, I remember well, when my kids were at that age, I don't think I could have coped with losing one of them. Particularly, if I was responsible for it.

RIP to the little guy and compassion to the dad, his mother, their future relationship, which will surely be strained, and rest of his family. :(

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
RIP to the little guy and compassion to the dad, his mother, their future relationship, which will surely be strained, and rest of his family. :(
Indeed. This is the kind of event that easily destroys a family.
He not only has to face his wife (and perhaps his other children).
Most likely this father has to face grandparents, aunts, and uncles on both sides of the family.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Basic gun safety, you ALWAYS check the chamber!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Several rules of gun handling were broken here.

Reading the local paper this morning it states he was trying to sell it to the gun shop. Assuming he showed it to the gun shop personnel, the action should have been opened and slide locked back, magazine removed, before it was handed to the potential buyer. Then handed back to the seller in the same condition. Had this been done...in the store...it would not have been loaded, unless he loaded it after the fact.

Of course the other rules are finger off the trigger and muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Several rules of gun handling were broken here.

Reading the local paper this morning it states he was trying to sell it to the gun shop. Assuming he showed it to the gun shop personnel, the action should have been opened and slide locked back, magazine removed, before it was handed to the potential buyer. Then handed back to the seller in the same condition. Had this been done...in the store...it would not have been loaded, unless he loaded it after the fact.

Of course the other rules are finger off the trigger and muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times.

I recently sold a 380 and before I even showed it, I had it open with a lock cable through it. Provided the keys to the buyer.

Such a tragedy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.