Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got an LC9,and am taking CCW class in Dec. Curious at what the range requirements are for the shooting part of the test. And is the LC9 a good gun to test with.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Welcome to the forum, short answer is that you should get the range requirements from the person who is conducting your class. You may also be able to get the info from your local sheriff's department. As I recall the range requirement in North Carolina that I had was very short range 3yds, 7yds, and 10yds. Your Lc9 will be fine. Basically they just want to see that you can hit the target and that you handle the gun safely.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Welcome from mid-coast Maine. If you are going to carry the LC9, learning with it on the range during your CCW class is a great idea. You would probably post tighter groups with an SR9c, but if tight groups aren't the object, then the supervised range experience with your carry piece will be of great value.

·
Super Moderator
16,246 Posts
tcar ... Welcome from a fellow Buckeye in SW Ohio. In answer to your questions:
1. The LC9 should work fine for your CCW class
2. Regarding what to expect at the class and the range time ... In the big picture (based on Ohio law) you will have 10 hours of classroom work and 2 hours of range time. The exact curriculum during the classroom and the exact live fire process will vary from instructor to instructor. The Ohio law states the following with regard to the general training requirements:
Minimum Educational Requirements

The Attorney General does not endorse any particular form of training or instructor. However, a list of instructors certified by the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission (OPOTC) who wish to teach classes to the general public is available on the Attorney General’s website at www.OhioAttorneyGeneral.gov. County sheriffs also may have a list of certified instructors who have provided contact information to the sheriff. The law sets out minimum educational requirements that are a component of the various forms of competency certification as set forth on page 2. The total time required for training is 12 hours: 10 hours of instruction and another two hours of experience shooting a handgun. The law requires at least 10 hours of certified training in the following matters:
• The ability to name, explain, and demonstrate the rules for safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition;
• The ability to demonstrate and explain how to handle ammunition in a safe manner;
• The ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner;
• Gun-handling training.

Additionally, you must have two hours of practical training, including range time and live-fire experience. The applicant also must complete an examination that tests his competency. The test must include a written section on the ability to name and explain the rules for the safe handling of a handgun and proper storage practices for handguns and ammunition. Additionally, the exam must include a physical demonstration of competency on handgun usage and rules for safe handling and storage of a handgun. It also must require a physical demonstration of the attitude necessary to shoot a handgun in a safe manner. As part of the training, applicants also must receive and certify that they have reviewed a copy of this publication. As an advisory to consumers, the Attorney General recommends anyone contemplating private handgun training take the following minimum steps before paying for any form of training:
• Verify the person teaching the class is qualified to teach.
• Confirm the instructor knows the requirements of the law.
• Be certain the instructor will provide you with this publication.
• Verify whether a refund or additional training may be available if a county sheriff determines, when you apply for a license, that the course did not meet the law’s requirements.
Additionally, I would recommend that your review the information at the following link Ohio CCW Information Center

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I took my Ohio test in Feb this year. Shooting ranges were 3,7 and 10 yards. Some of the 3 yard shooting was left handed(weak side)and 3 yard right handed, from the hip. I think different instructors will do things differently, but the yardages will be similar. The LC9 is an excellent gun for concealed carry.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
What instructor? There's a lot of us Buckeye's on this site. Odd's are that one of us may have taken the class from the same instructor, and then we could let you know exactly what to expect.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Range qualification is definitely the instructor's discretion in OH. Ask the instructor for details before paying!!
Mine sucked - his weapons only, 22LR indoor at 7yds(?), semi-auto and revolver, one reload each, 2 relays of 4. Basically a CCW mill. Lesson learned. Want to go to TDI for something more than concealed carry training some time next year but Lvl I-III is $525 and 1600 rounds of ammo.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am in Ohio and we only shot around 5 yards. We just had to put 5 rounds in a mag and put all 5 rounds in a 5" circle 3 different times, then he just had us practice the rest of the time keeping a VERY close eye on us. My instructor made us do 12 hour class and 3 hour range time, he was x-military and I believe LEO as well and ran it like a boot camp, if someone held a gun wrong or pointed it at the ceiling you got a good military reaming at the top of their lungs. It was great fun. Yes if possible always use the gun you plan on carrying for your range test.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I'm in Ohio too and it was a scarry thing at the range that day. There were people that never handeled a gun in their lives doing stupid things, and some yahoo with a 357 turning back to the croud saying "I hit the paper" at 7 yards away waving his canon back and forth. There were 130 people in that "dead meat market" class. Way too many at a time.

I shot early then almost ran to the back of the croud looking to put some human barriers between me and the yahoos out there doing stupid stuff.

So do not be afraid of the qualifications you have to follow, be very leary of the yahoos with no gun experience.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Welcome from TN. Hopefully get to do my carry permit test soon with my wife, I was wondering about the distances also, I am shooting an SR9C.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Took my CCW course thru Kames Sports in N. Canton. The instructor is a retired LEO of 25 years and owns his own outdoor range in N. Lawrence, Ohio
The range portion was extremely safe. There were 10 people, 4 women with no firearms experience at all.
We fired 150 rounds at 7 yards both strong and weak two handed and one handed both ways.

As far as the classroom goes he was very well versed in CCW and ORC and presented the information in a way that was easy to understand and remember.

·
CARSON-WEST - 2016
6,784 Posts
Took my CCW course thru Kames Sports in N. Canton. The instructor is a retired LEO of 25 years and owns his own outdoor range in N. Lawrence, Ohio
The range portion was extremely safe. There were 10 people, 4 women with no firearms experience at all.
We fired 150 rounds at 21 yards both strong and weak two handed and one handed both ways.

As far as the classroom goes he was very well versed in CCW and ORC and presented the information in a way that was easy to understand and remember.
Dan Clevenger?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Day 25 of my wait here in NE Ohio.....

.... guess they're gonna make me wait the full 45 days.

Here's to maybe soon, getting the call.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts