Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, while resizing rifle cases, I get oil dents in the case neck. Is this a serious problem, and will it increase the pressure enough to make it unsafe?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey Hawken, that is from using too much oil. You want your cases to be slippery, but any excess oil will cause a dent. When I first started reloading, I had this happen. Then I read what the problem was, so I was less generous with the oil, actually wiping off if I get too much. You just want enough so your cases don't stick in your full-length die.

Oh, I can't answer your questions, per se. But I don't think so right off. After you fire those, your dents will be gone. But I would personally not use them if I dented them very badly.

That's my 2¢.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Too much lube, reduce the amount by about 1/2 and clean you dies with some bore scrubber spray. I used to get them all the time. You'd be surprised just how little lube you actually need on the case.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I don't believe it's a dangerous condition, but you can avoid it entirely by using less lube. Try one of the spray lubes on the market. They don't build up enough to cause the dents in the first place.

·
Registered
250 Posts
All of the above responses are right on the money. When you fire the reloaded round the oil dent's go away but this can induce excess fatique on the case shoulder so adjust your resizing proceedure. BTW this was an excellent question and one of the main resons we exchange tips and share information.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It's no problem, pressure wise from all that I've read over the years, but you're just wasting lube. Do a little experimentation and find that sweet spot that allows for easy, effortless sizing and no dents. It's not all that narrow a band. Rod

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sometimes, while resizing rifle cases, I get oil dents in the case neck. Is this a serious problem, and will it increase the pressure enough to make it unsafe?
You are using way too much lube. You are not going to have any safety issues however.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
In severe instances, the dents CAN change the shoulder dimensions enough to interfere with chambering.
One of only two jams I've ever had in my 1984 AR was caused by that, had to have a gunsmith surgically remove that live round.
Long time ago, I'd just re-lubed the pad & had put too much on it, which put too much on the cases.
Denis

·
Registered
649 Posts
I used to get a dent here or there with a pad full of Redding lube...

Since I started using my finger and the stuff below, never have had another dent:

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Hornady spray lube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts