Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright

Basically, all the warnings of must NOT get any oil in the striker and channel got me curious.

So, naturally I decided to oil the hell out of it.

I took my SR 45 and took a Walther PPQ 40 and like I said oiled the hell out of the striker assemblies and channels.

I also took my CZ75 9mm and Tisas 1911 45 and oiled the hell out of the firing pins, springs, and channels.

On all 4 I disassembled the slide taking out the strikers/firing pins.

I am keeping a round count and am going to see when I first start having failures to fire.

Today I took my girlfriend and 2 nephews and niece to the range to begin testing.

We fired 150 rounds in each gun.

So far the only malfunctions was due to limpwristing early on which went away after help with their grips.

In fact the only trouble I had was keeping track of 4 different magazine capacities and making sure each gun had the same amount of rounds fired.

Well that and the 1911 shooting out a fireball on the first shot that made a couple guys ask what the hell that was... guess I put a little too much oil in that one.

So the round count stands at 150 each so far without light strikes/failures to fire.

I have cleaned the guns, but only field stripping and not cleaned the striker/firing pin areas at all so as to make sure that the oil and any stuff is still there. I won't clean that until I start getting malfunctions in the gun.. if I get any.

Will keep you posted.

Doc

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Good luck with that experiment. I have to ask, though. What is it you are trying to prove or disprove?

Are you saying that every gun manufacturer who says keep the firing pin or striker channel clean and dry is wrong? Why are you compelled to go against the mfg recommendations?

And why do you think there is a need to flood the channel with oil?

I own a few pistols. After cleaning, I put a few drops of oil on a cloth and wipe the parts down. That's it. Okay, maybe a Q-tip equivalent with some TW25b lube on rails.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oil allows dirt and powder residue to stick. I've seen Glocks misfire due to light primer strikes and ended up being dirt in the striker/firing pin channel. Glock says to keep it dry, and they have a plastic liner inserted to help keep it smooth

·
Registered
96 Posts
I recently bought a new SR9c. I cleaned it, including the striker channel, before I took it to the range and fired 50 rounds. I then cleaned it well and lubed it (light weight oil) including the striker channel. I took it to the range again and had several light primer strikes (every 3 or 4 rounds). I brought it home and cleaned all of the oil out of the striker channel. I took it back to the range and had no more problems. Just one person's experience.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I am doing is trying to see when and if I am going to have any problems.

I am giving it the best chance I "reasonably" can, to malfunction.

4 different manufacturers

3 different calibers

2 of each of the firing mechanisms (striker, firing pin)

and a hell of a lot of oil

People swear by oiling every part and say they have had no problems whatsoever, and then there is bodark that has had problems from oiling, goofey that has seen it, and other reports.

So I am going to see what it takes before I start getting malfunctions due to oiling. I am going to see for myself rather than go by hearsay of people that say they have never had problems and those that say they have. That's all.

Doc

·
Registered
4,715 Posts

3 different calibers

People swear by oiling every part and say they have had no problems whatsoever, and then there is bodark that has had problems from oiling, goofey that has seen it, and other reports.

So I am going to see what it takes before I start getting malfunctions due to oiling. I am going to see for myself rather than go by hearsay of people that say they have never had problems and those that say they have. That's all.

Doc
Interesting experiment.

It will only show IMO, that a few specific models by different manufacturers react differently to varying amounts of oil/dirt.

A more accurate test would be to have 10 firearms of each model, oil five and run five dry. Same ammo and firing conditions would have to be used in all instances, etc.

Comparing one manufacturer to another, particularily if you have only one unit of each, won't provide a statistically significant sample size.

In my case, after more than 5500 rounds thru my SR9c, I know that if I start getting light strikes, cleaning the striker channel has always fixed the issue and I'm OK for another 700-1000 rounds.

My numbers may indeed be affected by how much cleaning fluid I get in the striker channel when I clean the breach face, etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I know the limitations of my experiment. As I said, I am doing what I reasonably can.. I got a nice group of guns but not near enough for any meaningful sampling data.

However, if any of you want to send me some of your guns that you want to donate to the effort, I will be happy to take them offa your hands and give you my address. Hell I will come get them :D

Doc

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My Kahr has a hole near the striker that is used to insert the "straw" that comes attached to most cans of brake fluid cleaner. Hook it up, blow it out, done.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Good luck with that experiment. I have to ask, though. What is it you are trying to prove or disprove?

Are you saying that every gun manufacturer who says keep the firing pin or striker channel clean and dry is wrong? Why are you compelled to go against the mfg recommendations?

And why do you think there is a need to flood the channel with oil?

I own a few pistols. After cleaning, I put a few drops of oil on a cloth and wipe the parts down. That's it. Okay, maybe a Q-tip equivalent with some TW25b lube on rails.
+1! I also am missing the point:confused:

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Yeah, I know the limitations of my experiment. As I said, I am doing what I reasonably can.. I got a nice group of guns but not near enough for any meaningful sampling data.

However, if any of you want to send me some of your guns that you want to donate to the effort, I will be happy to take them offa your hands and give you my address. Hell I will come get them :D

Doc
You would have to bring a shovel to find mine. I currently testing just how secure they are when buried in my back yard..... :D

And I will be interested in your experiment results.

I just want people to understand that it will be just another datapoint in the whole scheme of things.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
replying to monitor results.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

3 different calibers

Doc
It will be interesting to see the end result. I will stick with the manufacturer's instructions and guide lines.

Be careful if you have to rely on one of your soaked test pistols to defend your life. Keep one dry, just in case. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
In addition to collecting gunk in the firing pin channel you also run the risk of oil running down onto/into the primer and killing it.

Still don't see why you are doing this. It's kind if like not changing the oil in your car. We all know it's going to stop running eventually

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
In addition to collecting gunk in the firing pin channel you also run the risk of oil running down onto/into the primer and killing it.

Still don't see why you are doing this. It's kind if like not changing the oil in your car. We all know it's going to stop running eventually
Can you define "eventually"? If not, I believe this is what the OP is trying to determine. Do you now see why he is doing this? :confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
The circumstances will differ greatly and it won't be the same for every gun every time.

Say you oil it up and are able to fire 500 rounds before it starts misfiring. Then after cleaning and oiling it up again you shoot different ammo that is dirtier and you start having misfires after 50 rounds. Maybe the pistol sat somewhere and collected lint or dust before taken and fired, or you use much more oil than the last time, or it has just been more humid outside. Too many variables and just easier to keep the channel clean like the manufactures recommend.

Testing the theory is pointless in my opinion, but it's your time and money to do with as you please.

I carry most of my pistols one way or another and want them to function when needed

·
Registered
134 Posts

3 different calibers

Doc
A striker fired pistol is not a 1911 and never will be, your experiment is foolish and I will tell you why:

Everyone's shooting is different and ammo is different, oil and or grease in the striker channel can and will pick up gunk, and cause week primer strikes.
How soon? well, it's not predictable. BUT, the biggest DANGER is having the channel get so much junk in it and the possibility of the striker sticking forward, and that can cause a slam fire or as we say an A/D and possibly killing or hurting someone.

Deep the darn striker channel DRY, they publish the book for a reason.

Naturally I don't have any skin in your safety game and hopefully others will not follow your foolishness.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ah.

A very sound reason for keeping it dry. The first in fact.

And a very serious reason too. Although, I would never have it pointed anywhere but downrange and away from anyone and anything I did not mean to shoot and/or kill, it is still a legitimate concern.

Experiment over.

I wonder if this is the first time anyone has ever admitted to a mistake on here instead of going into vapor lock mentality to defend a foolish position? :eek:

Doc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts