·
Exchequer
4,484 Posts
That's a new one for me too.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In reading some info it goes on wet then dries to the touch ...

I found it on Gun Broker ...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Almost sounds too good to be true - but the same (true) claims can be made for Ballistol and Frog Lube.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ballistol doesn't dry to the touch does it? I use Frog Lube on slide rails.

·
Super Moderator
21,241 Posts
I like Ballistol primarily as a lubricant and rust protector. I have waterfowl hunted in salt water and have not found a better product to use to prevent rust in those conditions than it. I have also had good luck using it for long term (several months) storage.

As to Frog Lube it is a good product but in my experience in cold weather it becomes gummy.

The OP's product sounds a lot like the mineral oil Ballistol.

·
Army CW3
1,073 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
I will admit that I did go through a period of falling into the trap of having to try the "newest latest and greatest gun cleaner/lube/miracle". Wish I would have spend that $ on ammo. Always went back to Ballistol and that's where I've stayed for quite a long time. To each their own though. If something works for ya then that's great.:)

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with much of the commentary above ... Hoppes is what i was raised to use, got away from using it indoors because of the aroma (my wife has issues with it). I have switched to Bore Tech products because they are non smelling and organic composition, they work in my opinion. The Frog Lube was a Christmas gift a few years back, for the amount i use, they'll be able to bury the remaining amount with me ... Gun oil is gun oil, i buy what is available at a descent price when i need it. So it appears to be two types of Ballistol?

·
Premium Member
13,937 Posts
Used Hoppes when shooting returned 7 years ago. After smell chased the boss out of the house went to Ballistol. Drank the Froglube Koolade for a year or so and after sluggish performance out of 1911's went back to Ballistol and now use it and Lucas Xreme.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Obviously, the company won’t release a list of components, but it’s description of the products gives a few hints.

They mention that it is “non-petroleum” and has a flash point of “over 100 degrees (F)” - with the other descriptions, I’m guessing it is some kind of grease (which are soaps mixed with oil - which can be vegetable oils) and D-limonene (which has a flash point of 122 deg F). The D-limonene gives a pleasant citrus scent and acts as a cleaner and solvent; it can evaporate away, leaving the (now thicker) grease behind as a lubricant and protective agent.

Unless you have an aversion to petroleum products, I don’t see how this product (or the many others like it) has any advantage over older, petroleum-based solvents.

Jim

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Used Hoppes when shooting returned 7 years ago. After smell chased the boss out of the house went to Ballistol. Drank the Froglube Koolade for a year or so and after sluggish performance out of 1911's went back to Ballistol and now use it and Lucas Xreme.
Ive been using frog lube for at least 8 years now and the only time I've had issues is when I didn't wipe it off or on older weapons that had wider range of tolerances and designed for a thicker lube.

I use it on glocks, 1911, wheel guns, blacks guns, longguns and shotguns and never had an issue

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
The problem I have with Hoppes No.9 as a bore cleaner is that it is not a very effective copper solvent. For most centerfire rifle bores, one needs to use a better solvent to properly remove all of the jacketing metal fouling during cleaning.

I find Ballistol and Hoppes oil to be pretty good firearms lubricants.

·
Premium Member
2,681 Posts
I've been using the same three products on all of my firearms since 1964. I think so much of all the gun care products of today are nothing more than marketing hype...
http://www.hoppes.com/traditional/gun-grease
http://www.hoppes.com/traditional/no-9-solvent
https://www.3inone.com/products/multi-purpose-oil/
I can attest to the Hoppes No. 9 Solvent and the 3 in 1 oil as being top notch products. Never used the Hoppes gun grease but have used their gun oil and it's a quality product too. I don't use a lot of grease on my firearms..when I do I use AGS White Lithium Grease.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I will admit that I did go through a period of falling into the trap of having to try the "newest latest and greatest gun cleaner/lube/miracle". Wish I would have spend that $ on ammo. Always went back to Ballistol and that's where I've stayed for quite a long time. To each their own though. If something works for ya then that's great.:)
How does Ballistol smell ? I've seen it for years .

The reason I ask is a buddy with a gun shop sold me a large bottle of a product called Cleanzoil, spec sheet looked good and I wanted to buy a few things to help his business .
The one thing I didn't do was smell it...big mistake.
I can't put it any other way...the stuff STINKS ! It stinks in bright vivid technicolor. I cleaned a revolver with the stuff and my wife wouldn't let it in the bedroom for two weeks . It has a funky unpleasant odor that I can't learn to love. Never will I buy any product without smelling again .

So ...what's it smell like ?
Gary

·
Super Moderator
21,241 Posts
Ballistol has an odor when you apply it but it quickly dissipates. It is a non-toxic mineral oil.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's new for me as well.

I've had the opportunity to use some cool stuff over the years, but nothing is better than a jug of good "old" CLP!

One of the finer endorsements here:
BREAK

1 - 20 of 44 Posts