Ruger Forum banner

OK another lubricant and cleaner thread ...

7K views 43 replies 32 participants last post by  Myg30 
#1 ·
Stumbled upon this, I have no intentions of purchasing but am curious to know if anyone has used it or is aware of it ...

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I like Ballistol primarily as a lubricant and rust protector. I have waterfowl hunted in salt water and have not found a better product to use to prevent rust in those conditions than it. I have also had good luck using it for long term (several months) storage.

As to Frog Lube it is a good product but in my experience in cold weather it becomes gummy.

The OP's product sounds a lot like the mineral oil Ballistol.

#9 ·
#11 ·
I will admit that I did go through a period of falling into the trap of having to try the "newest latest and greatest gun cleaner/lube/miracle". Wish I would have spend that $ on ammo. Always went back to Ballistol and that's where I've stayed for quite a long time. To each their own though. If something works for ya then that's great.:)

#18 ·
How does Ballistol smell ? I've seen it for years .

The reason I ask is a buddy with a gun shop sold me a large bottle of a product called Cleanzoil, spec sheet looked good and I wanted to buy a few things to help his business .
The one thing I didn't do was smell it...big mistake.
I can't put it any other way...the stuff STINKS ! It stinks in bright vivid technicolor. I cleaned a revolver with the stuff and my wife wouldn't let it in the bedroom for two weeks . It has a funky unpleasant odor that I can't learn to love. Never will I buy any product without smelling again .

So ...what's it smell like ?
Gary

#12 ·
I agree with much of the commentary above ... Hoppes is what i was raised to use, got away from using it indoors because of the aroma (my wife has issues with it). I have switched to Bore Tech products because they are non smelling and organic composition, they work in my opinion. The Frog Lube was a Christmas gift a few years back, for the amount i use, they'll be able to bury the remaining amount with me ... Gun oil is gun oil, i buy what is available at a descent price when i need it. So it appears to be two types of Ballistol?

#13 ·
Used Hoppes when shooting returned 7 years ago. After smell chased the boss out of the house went to Ballistol. Drank the Froglube Koolade for a year or so and after sluggish performance out of 1911's went back to Ballistol and now use it and Lucas Xreme.

#15 ·
Ive been using frog lube for at least 8 years now and the only time I've had issues is when I didn't wipe it off or on older weapons that had wider range of tolerances and designed for a thicker lube.

I use it on glocks, 1911, wheel guns, blacks guns, longguns and shotguns and never had an issue

#14 ·
Obviously, the company won’t release a list of components, but it’s description of the products gives a few hints.

They mention that it is “non-petroleum” and has a flash point of “over 100 degrees (F)” - with the other descriptions, I’m guessing it is some kind of grease (which are soaps mixed with oil - which can be vegetable oils) and D-limonene (which has a flash point of 122 deg F). The D-limonene gives a pleasant citrus scent and acts as a cleaner and solvent; it can evaporate away, leaving the (now thicker) grease behind as a lubricant and protective agent.

Unless you have an aversion to petroleum products, I don’t see how this product (or the many others like it) has any advantage over older, petroleum-based solvents.

Jim

#16 ·
The problem I have with Hoppes No.9 as a bore cleaner is that it is not a very effective copper solvent. For most centerfire rifle bores, one needs to use a better solvent to properly remove all of the jacketing metal fouling during cleaning.

I find Ballistol and Hoppes oil to be pretty good firearms lubricants.

#26 ·
Thanks , I know what mineral oil smells like and it's OK .
Most "environmentally friendly" and/or "non-toxic" cleaners , lubricants and preservatives
are mineral oil based , some even claim to be odorless and most are pleasant smelling and the smell usually dissipates quickly.
Going to give the stuff a try .
Gary

#29 ·
Ah, the scent of old socks...Ballistol.

But I do use it but not on gun metal. I prefer Hoppes Oil, a very light coat after cleaning with Hoppes 9 solvent. As for Ballistol, find the smell fades quickly, and it provides me a wonderful and deep-penetrating protectant on the wooden grips on my NM Blackhawk. They glisten but are not slippery. I'm going to try it on my long guns next.

#30 ·
I was using Pro shot One step CLP, and it was pretty good, but the shop that carried it near me shut down, and online it wasn't very cheap. I switched to Lucas bore cleaner and Lucas extreme duty gun oil, and I love the stuff. On occasion I still need to use some Kroil or something to get more lead/super burnt on powder off.

I tried ballistol once, and it smells too much to use in my bedroom, where I usually clean my guns while watching TV. So I need to try it again in my basement or garage when I have time, and see how it works. I know a lot of people really swear by the stuff.

#31 ·
Never heard of the Prolix but I'd be willing to give it a try if it's not terribly expensive. I like the smell of Hoppes but it isn't anywhere near as good at getting copper fouling as many new products. I use it for initial cleaning, mainly because I'm still working a gallon 9f the stuff I bought years ago! For barrels, I usually use Wipe Out but have Sweets 7.62, & several others at the ready. For lubes, if a grease is needed I use Brownells Ultra Lube. Oil is generally Mobil 1 synthetic or Rem oil without teflon. I also like Breakfree but never inside a barrel as it can give erratic results, especially in custom barrels. Most custom barrel makers say not to use it. Contrary to popular belief, WD 40 most certainly is a lubricant, although a very light one. I use it on parts that have been degreased, blow it off with a compressor, then use whatever grease or oil I normally use.
Cheers,
crkckr

#32 ·
Never heard of this stuff. When it comes to the latest & greatest, guilty as charged. My basement shelf's fully populated. That said, I always go back to Hoppe's #9 and Rem Oil. Both have served me well.

#33 ·
ProlixI use it mostly as a cleaner and then lube with ARTS

I'm sold on Prolix. I started using Prolix on the recommendation of Teddy Jacobson (Actions by T) back in the 1990's. After he did some action work on one of my pistols, I saw on the invoice "Cleaned with Prolix" so I called him to find out what Prolix was.
I use it mostly as a cleaner and then lube with whatever synthetic motor oil I happen to have on hand at the time. In my experience it doesn't really matter what brand you use.
I dump the Prolix out into a small container that I use for washing parts then, after my cleaning is finished, I filter the solution back into the container using a small funnel and a cleaning patch as a filter. You lose some but you recapture most of it.
I also really like using a small tub so I can totally submerse the parts. When cleaning handguns, I'll just dump all the parts, including the barrel, into the tub as I strip the gun then just wipe them down as I retrieve them from the cleaning fluid. A few strokes with a brush and then a couple of patches are usually all that is needed for a shiny bore.
Good stuff- makes my life easier...

#37 ·
Yes. When I purchased my first Kimber they included a small sample tube. In addition they call it out in their manuals: "Use a premium lubrication product such as Shooter’s Choice FP-10 or similar quality oil". Very pleased with it so far.

#35 ·
I love these threads. That stuff the OP posted pics of? It will work really, really well. How do I know that? Because canola oil, Mobil 1, bacon grease, earwax, snot from your nose... you gun will run well with all of those... or nothing at all. Yes, nothing. Guns are not the same as internal combustion engines that will seize up and die within minutes if run without oil. It’s not a really good idea to not use oil on your guns, but they will work fine without it.

That being said, any good solvent, oil or even CLP product designed for firearms, is a good bet. Hoppe’s, Ballistol, Remoil... can’t go wrong. Froglube? It’s been around for a few years now, long enough that if it were bad, we’d have heard about it. Again, there are plenty of reputable gun care products out there that work just fine. No need to keep reinventing the wheel.

#39 ·
That cleaner/lube is fine to use with your bore snake. You will probably need to get a cleaning kit with an appropriate rod and separate solvent and oil for more thorough cleaning. I keep the bore snake/ rip cord type pull through cleaners with my range/hunting gear for quick maintenance in the field.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.