Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You have 1 lever in production, and you are selling tee shirts. C'mon. I love the fact you have customer service for the older Marlins, but what's the deal here? I want to buy a .357/.38 lever from you. I want it to tube feed with optional top off side gate. And a rugged fiber optic front bead. And sharks. With friggen laser beams on their head....
ok that last one is a bit much I know....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure Ruger/Marlin has a gazillion requests for everyone's favorite caliber/type of new Marlin Lever gun. Never can tell, Your favorite's number could be next.
Well yeah and still, no announcement as to what lever will live long next! I get some things taking a long ramp up. Like rifle primers. (🤣) But lever guns that have been produced for 150 years just do not seem like they should take over two years to get off the ground considering the Marlin and Ruger companies history. I know, I know I sound like I am a whinny itch and thats because on this topic I am!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Not tryin to be that guy who is injecting politics in but..... you guys should probably go over to the Anti-work reddit and start yelling. I think Ruger is getting pinched by this administrations "supply chain" problems and the fact that there is still a large population that doesn't want too work.
Yawn.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The details are out there if you bother looking, but in short, Ruger bought old equipment and some designs. They had to haul all that tooling to their NC location and see what they had to work with. They had to replace a lot of it because they wanted to bring back Marlin at a very high quality level. Then they had to get all the supply chain set up where they needed to. Throw in the pandemic, and you have a scenario where it was just last fall that they finally started producing the one new model.

They could have rushed it but instead of a thread where someone whined about not getting to buy what they want right now it would be a thread where someone whined that the quality wasn't good enough.

Take a deep breath. You'll survive.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I have been wanting a .357 lever, preferably in stainless, for some time now. Even if I could find a Marlin stainless .357 now I wouldn't like the price.
I did find a Rossi 92 last week though, and am pleased to see that the Rossi's are no longer as much of a "project gun" as they were in the past.

Older Rossi's had rough actions that took some smoothing up, and springs were way too heavy. Stocks usually needed refinishing right away.
Mine was made in 2016, and was pretty smooth out of the box, with a lighter hammer and ejector spring and excellent trigger pull.
Stocks still need a re-finish and dovetail slots are oversize, but those are the only faults I can find with the new Rossis.

Something to consider so you can get your "fix" until the Ruger made Marlins start showing up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been wanting a .357 lever, preferably in stainless, for some time now. Even if I could find a Marlin stainless .357 now I wouldn't like the price.
I did find a Rossi 92 last week though, and am pleased to see that the Rossi's are no longer as much of a "project gun" as they were in the past.

Older Rossi's had rough actions that took some smoothing up, and springs were way too heavy. Stocks usually needed refinishing right away.
Mine was made in 2016, and was pretty smooth out of the box, with a lighter hammer and ejector spring and excellent trigger pull.
Stocks still need a re-finish and dovetail slots are oversize, but those are the only faults I can find with the new Rossis.

Something to consider so you can get your "fix" until the Ruger made Marlins start showing up.
Very nice!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I agree, get what you can,,,,,when you can.
Waiting and whining will just leave you bitter and disappointed. Things just is what they is.
The added plus with a Rossi is that the "92" design is maybe the best package around for the 38/357.
Small ,nimble and svelte. A perfect packin rifle.
Love a Henry , love a Marlin but a 92 feels right for a small pistol rounder , as long as you are not planning on optics.
I believe Skinner makes a rear sight swap out base for popping on a red dot though.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I agree, get what you can,,,,,when you can.
Waiting and whining will just leave you bitter and disappointed. Things just is what they is.
The added plus with a Rossi is that the "92" design is maybe the best package around for the 38/357.
Small ,nimble and svelte. A perfect packin rifle.
Love a Henry , love a Marlin but a 92 feels right for a small pistol rounder , as long as you are not planning on optics.
I believe Skinner makes a rear sight swap out base for popping on a red dot though.
I read up on the rossi. they have a model I like, the longer blued steel one. It is tempting, but I want to be able to load through tube and side gate

·
Registered
885 Posts
The largest downside historically is working with Taurus/Rossi customer service and or repair if needed.
But,,,, I've heard they are better with a new repair site in southern Georgia.
They were so bad before they can't have gotten any worse.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have to admit I have what I want at the moment, a few JM's and a couple Remlins all excellent.

I do have a recent JM 39a (2008) but it sure would be nice to see Ruger do those. Along with all the rest of the Marlin rifles.

Hopefully soon we will see the next Ruger/Marlin.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Patience grasshopper.....making even a slight modification in a firearm, much less, new rifles from scratch takes time.....Covid has clearly not helped. I do wish there was more communication coming out of Ruger. And no, I do not want one in .357..........its 45-70 and .44 mag for me...........

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When this thing was in the process, Ruger getting set to make Marlin Levers, about the same time I had a hankering for a 45-70. I wanted a walnut stock, blued octagon barrel, & side gate loading. I patiently waited for Ruger to start production, with really no word on what they would make first. I started lookin at a Henry, & they looked pretty damn good, except, what I wanted, was a rare thing to find, except on Gunbroker, & paying a lot more than retail. I lucked up & found one on RK Guns, for a descent price. I think the new Marlin 1895 is a super nice rifle, but, it just ain't what I wanted. At this point, it's hard to tell what new Marlin will be produced next, but you can bet your ass it will be a popular caliber, that a lot of folks want. What that will be is anybody's guess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Heck, I (and 3 others) set up a 150-man facility, certified it to as9100, and shipped 10 entire lots (of aerospace parts) in 100 days.
Ruger is obviously having problems, or we'd be constantly hearing about their success & seeing lots more rifles. 👁👁

Kind of depends on what you're setting up. I was part of a team that had machines brought in and set up for production(punch presses, laser turrets, ect..). From start of planning to start up operation of a machine could take six months to a year.

Before the pandemic.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Kind of depends on what you're setting up. I was part of a team that had machines brought in and set up for production(punch presses, laser turrets, ect..). From start of planning to start up operation of a machine could take six months to a year.

Before the pandemic.
I figure carrier landing gear might be at least as complicated as a levergun? 🤠
Well WBR thought he could build break open shotguns for half the cost, too...

Meanwhile is Marlin going to be a one-gun company for long? The silence is deafening. 😞😞

·
Registered
256 Posts
I figure carrier landing gear might be at least as complicated as a levergun? 🤠
Well WBR thought he could build break open shotguns for half the cost, too...

Meanwhile is Marlin going to be a one-gun company for long? The silence is deafening. 😞😞
Your experience is interesting and makes one pause. To try to compare only leads me to more questions and in the end it's not a comparison with very many similarities.

Lever guns aren't ever going to be sold to military with that type of profit potential. Ruger can spend some money but their potential buyers are a finicky lot of penny pinchers. Lever guns might very well be more difficult to build profitably than aero space parts.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Comparing Federal Government cost-plus military contracts and resources with private industry that has to perform for shareholders. I guess there's some truth to military/aerospace companies being America's biggest welfare queens....

Once Ruger scales up production in post-Bideninflation America people are going to be disappointed in the pricing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts