Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bedside gun? Most dependable for HD? SR9c, SR9 or P95? Have never shot any of them so don't have a feeling on either. I kind of like the hammer being there on the P95. I'm new to handguns, have bought a SR22, Lite and a S10 in the last few months so most of my shooting will be with these 3 guns. Whichever 9mm I get will get some break-in and for both me and the gun but will not be shot as much as the other 3, just to keep both current. I know the SR22 is the trainer for the other SR's but it does have a hammer so can be shot both DA & SA. Plus the $ difference as I have about spent my "mad" money for the year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
p95 is also cheaper, just as reliable (imo) but a little less "feel good" in the hand... its accurate durable and is lbs 4 lbs a tough s.o.b. to beat.

that being said, the sr9 or sr9c is all of the above too except cost more LOL.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would say the SR9c because it can double as a carry gun as well. Pop in the extended mag at night and you have a great bedside gun. That is what I do with my SR9c, carry it IWB all day, throw in the large magazine at night.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
All 3 will serve you well for a bedside/HD gun. The SR9c gives you the added benefit of a CC gun if you choose. The P95 is the least expensive, and a great value. Your SR22P matches the P95 controls perfectly. I would choose between the SR9c and the P95. My house guns are P95s

·
Registered
332 Posts
bedside gun? Most dependable for HD? SR9c, SR9 or P95?
Of the three you mention I would definitely go with the SR9C. And, I would also invest in a laser sight for it. Remember if, God forbid, a bedside gun will ever be called upon it will more than likely be under low or no light conditions. That is where the laser sight will [no pun intended] really shine for you!

The SR9C gives you the versatility of a large capacity mag or a shorter mag for concealed carry. Also, the trigger pull is the same every shot whereas the P95 is double/single action. I like the "always the same trigger pull" idea, but that's a personal thingie.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Remington 870... I don't mean to be coy, but a shotgun is the best SD gun.

But, if you're like me and have grandkids that visit, and need to put something in a speedy accessible lock box i.e. pistol - then pick the one you like the best. Any of them will work for a bedside gun. As a few others have mentioned, the SR9C is a little more diverse. That's why I keep an SR40C or an M&P9C in a SpeedVault SV500 mounted discreetly the bedroom.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Of the three mentioned the SR9 and P95 would be my selection but since your new to firearms the P95 might be a better initial selection for you. When your ready to discuss long gun's post another question.

·
Registered
177 Posts
P95 is time tested and tough as nails...not that the SR9 won't prove to be as well. Just hard for me to argue against the old P-series.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I would say the SR9c because it can double as a carry gun as well. Pop in the extended mag at night and you have a great bedside gun. That is what I do with my SR9c, carry it IWB all day, throw in the large magazine at night.
+1

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
bedside gun? Most dependable for HD? SR9c, SR9 or P95? Have never shot any of them so don't have a feeling on either. I kind of like the hammer being there on the P95. I'm new to handguns.
Of those three...I would probably chose whichever is more comfortable in your hand! There's just nothing like a comfortable gun if you ever need one! Personally, I would probably chose the SR9c or the P95...simply because I have smaller hands and I know they fit in my hand better. Also, I prefer a slightly heavier bullet for close defense purposes! In 9mm...I prefer the either the Winchester PDX1 124 grain bullet or the Hornady XTP JHP 124 grain bullet!

Shoot 'em all...and see which one works best for you!

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Of the three you mention I would definitely go with the SR9C. And, I would also invest in a laser sight for it. Remember if, God forbid, a bedside gun will ever be called upon it will more than likely be under low or no light conditions. That is where the laser sight will [no pun intended] really shine for you!

The SR9C gives you the versatility of a large capacity mag or a shorter mag for concealed carry. Also, the trigger pull is the same every shot whereas the P95 is double/single action. I like the "always the same trigger pull" idea, but that's a personal thingie.
Well stated!!! Also, consider getting a set of tritium night sights...they'll help out A LOT in low / no light shooting situations! They're natural, quick, and give you a nice 3-dot sight system during the day!

·
Registered
673 Posts
All of them are good guns. If you can find a range that rents them, shoot them all. Pick the one that fits you best.

Personally, I've shot the SR9, SR9C, and P95. The SR9 & SR9C just didn't feel right. I'm not compatible with the SR9 grip ergos. I own a P95.

P95 Pro's:
  • Built like a tank.
  • Safety & Decocker
  • DA/SA trigger pull
  • Proven Design
I have more options using my P95 as a night stand gun. The rail allows me to mount a light & laser. It sits in my nightstand (I have no children) round in the chamber, safety engaged. At the range, I practice disengaging the safety and putting down a good first shot with the DA trigger.

If I ever feel that the engaged safety is a detriment, I chamber a round, decock the P95, and rely on the heavier DA trigger as a safety, just like my revolver.

Within the confines of a typical suburban residential home, the P95 will be practical accurate. I don't rely on my P95 to be a target/bullseye pistol.

Cons P95
  • Sights.
The stock sights are a little lacking IMO. Finding replacement front/rear sights is not easy. If you're mounting a light/laser for night, the lacking stock sights aren't that detrimental.

The paint dot in the front sight is prone to falling out. It happened on my old P95, and my current one.

I've recently applied Glow-On phosphorescent sight paint to the sight dots on my P95. They look like plain old white dots in light. At night, expose the sights to light from a flashlight and the sights glow bright.

ALSO...

While Ruger does make fine pistols and their CS is second to none, you should try out some other 9mm's that represent a good value for the budget. The Sig SP2022, when on sale, is a good value.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Out of the three..... the P95.
Simplistic, tried & true.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went back and forth between the SR9 and SR9C. I finally went with the SR9. It just felt like it was made for my hand.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The way it fits is very important. A bad fit will throw your aim and shot off unless you learn to compensate for it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts