Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I've concealed mine in a Galco OWB holster under a loose fitting knit shirt with the shirt tail out. Sure it printed but I was in an open carry state that recognized my concealed carry license so I decided I wasn't going to worry about printing. This was inside Yellowstone NP and Glacier NP so there were plenty of people around. I doubt anybody really noticed.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I use a Bianchi shoulder rig with a Galco holster to tote my 44 Mag Alaskan.

I first bought my Alaskan just as a fun range toy. But after getting accustomed to my Alaskan's excellent trigger and big weight that helps tame recoil and follow up shots I got serious about carrying it with 44 SPL and or very toned down 44 Mag.

With my shoulder rig I can conceal it easily as long as I can comfortably wear a cover shirt. The Alaskan is heavy but one loop of the Bianchi shoulder rig is elasticy so it helps soak up some of the weight. It positions well on my body and conceals very well.

It is so big that it is easy to draw and not fumble around with it and again the size makes it for an especially sweet shooter with light loads. I started reloading 44 Mag for it and stepping up and down in charges and realized that I don't always need ammo that could take down a bear. I initially carried it with 44 SPL Critical Defense from Hornady. And for a year I have been trying to hunt down some of the elusive Speer 44 Mag Short Barrel 200gr •Muzzle Velocity: 1075 fps Muzzle Energy: 513 ft. lbs. 4" test barrel and finally got some about two weeks ago. Out in the country I would carry full power 44 Mag but in the city where I dwell the toned down 44 Mag load should be just fine.

Those 44 Mag Gold Dots cost me almost $2 apiece, but I figure if you're gonna carry an Alaskan, you should load it with a Magnum round.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts