Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things always have a way of working out, David thought to himself as he was finishing his work day. Earlier in the day one of his co-workers and friends, John Miller, came up to David and asked what he was doing for his vacation in November. "Deer hunting, you know that" David said, " I've taken two weeks of vacation in November for the last 15 years to go hunting". It was kind of a funny question for John to ask. Not only have they worked together at the welding and machine shop since they both started on the same day 15 years previous, but, they also had known each other since they were big enough to walk to each others house.
" I always hunt those first four days from daylight 'til dark, then after that, hunt mornings and evenings and help Dad around the farm during the day ". David added " Same thing you do with your Dad ".
" I know , I know " John said quickly, realizing that the question might have sounded stupid to his best friend. " I just thought we might try something a little different this year"
" What did you have in mind ?" David asked, only half paying attention, trying to finish up the wood splitter he was building for a customer. " What I'm thinking is that we see if the boss will let us work some overtime and get some of this backlog of work done, as well as put a little extra money in our pockets". John said with a small half smile and a twinkle in his eyes that meant that he had it all worked out. " Plus we make a list of all the chores that our Dad's want done, work together and switching between your folks farm and my folks farm, get all that stuff done so we can free up a weeks worth of time".
David put down the gun to the mig welder he was using, took off his welding helmet and looked John straight in the eye and said " You have my full attention". John, almost breathless with excitement continued " Then, we drive up to Michigan and do a little hunting".
With a doubtful look on his face David said " The only flaw in the plan, let me rephrase that, the only couple of flaws in the plan is that first we have to convince our Wives about the trip. Secondly with me is of course the added expense of it since I've just built my new house". John, just smiling ,said "Well Buddy, I hate to sandbag you like this, but , the Boss has already agreed to let us work all the overtime we want for the next six weeks, so that part of it is solved". " The only thing we have to do is talk to our Wives".
" Yeah, the easy part". David said with heavy sarcasm.

When David got home that Evening, his Wife, Michelle, was talking on the phone. " Okay Lynn, I'll let him know. Oh wait a minute , David just walked in. I'll let you tell him". Michelle motioned for David to take the phone and with her hand over the mouthpiece she whispered " It's your Mom".
" Hey Mom" David said " Yup , just walked through the door".
" Yes, I can come over after supper". David said with a questioning look to Michelle who was nodding her head yes. " Okay, see you then" David replied, finishing up the short conversation and hanging the phone up.
"What's that all about?" David asked his wife. " You'll find out." Michelle said " oh, by the way, I'll be coming along also" she continued "There are a few things I want to talk to you Mother about while you and your Dad are talking".
" This sounds like a conspiracy to me, but I'll play along. Plus there are a couple of things that I want to go over with you while we're driving". David said.

The drive over didn't take very long, only about fifteen minutes. It was, however, long enough for David to bring up the hunting trip and to tell her about the overtime that we would be working to pay for it. Suprisingly, Michelle wasn't upset with the thought of hime being gone. " You know" she explained " You've worked everyday that I've known you without complaint, you've never denied me anything that I've wanted to do, so I can't see where I can complain about this to you".
"Really? " David asked, mildly suprised " I can go if I've made enough extra to pay for it?" . " Really" Michelle said " It's not vey often that you ask to do something, and I know you will have enough to pay for it". Just then, as they were pulling into his Parents driveway, David thought that this was just too easy.

Pulling in to the Homeplace for David was always like a glass of Iced Tea on a hot Summer day, refreshing and relaxing. Starting out as 40 acres when his Great Grandfather bought it, it now consisted of 260 acres with another 80 acres a mile down the road and an additional 40 acres about 10 miles past that. The running joke in the family is that every generation needs to keep buying land and eventually, after six or seven hundred years, it would all be connected.
As they were getting out of the truck, David noticed his Dad walking up from one of the barns that were scattered across the farm. "Go on in" David said to Michelle. " I'm going down to see Dad". Walking down the gravelled driveway towards his Father, David could tell his Father was expecting to see him this evening by the look on his face................

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Excellent.
What is the title for these works?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Deputy,
I haven't really came up with a title yet, but I have been thinking about " Over The Next Hill..." We'll see. Thanks for your interest in it as it is something that I really like doing. Every so often I plan on putting a chapter or so on here until you guys get tired of me doing it.
Brian

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Brian,
I must say I am not much of a reader, but your writing is easy to read even for me. I don't think i am going to get tired of your writings.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
My computer crapped out after "...by the look on his face..." Now I KNOW that you wouldn't leave us all hanging like that....it must be my computer....after all you know we're just a bunch of short-tempered old farts (with guns)...you wouldn't do that to us....this is excellent, Brian....you have permission to stay up all night working on it, and it might go well in the new magazine in installments...I'm hanging on for the next issue already...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Sounds like an excellent feature for the new magazine. I'd love to see it there.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You, Sir, definitely have my attention! Keep it coming!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts