Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So help me, I'm NOT a member of the Grammar Police. Really, I'm not. But, I just can't keep this to myself any longer. Specifically, the way so many people seem to confuse the word "weary" with the word "leery". The two words have two completely different meanings, but I'm always hearing people say stuff like: "I went out with her a few times, but I'm a little WEARY of doing it again." For Heaven's sake, "weary" means "tired". The proper word here is "leery", meaning "suspicious" or "wary". Maybe this is a regional thing, and perhaps no one else here has been an auditory witness to this verbal silliness. But to the folks who are out there doing this, PLEASE, cut it out already! Okay. I feel better. Boy, do I like the Tavern.......:)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If can pull that off, how about starting on to,two,too and there, their, they're.

Oh ya, capitalization would be plus too.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Grammar, spelling, punctuation police here.
I'm guilty..... :eek:
And no excuses

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
LOL.., there's already enough to worry about getting DDed out of here over, now Miss Manners and Uncle Grammer too.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
As many accents as there are in California I wouldn't know if they were saying weary,wary or worry.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL.., there's already enough to worry about getting DDed out of here over, now Miss Manners and Uncle Grammer too.
Aw, c'mon, welder....while this thread is about something that I find a bit annoying, in reality, it's strictly for fun. Lord knows, I'm certainly not an English expert!;)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Aw, c'mon, welder....while this thread is about something that I find a bit annoying, in reality, it's strictly for fun. Lord knows, I'm certainly not an English expert!;)
And while I would like to think I am, that isn't always the case..... :eek:
You guys have certainly expanded my vocabulary..... :D :D :D

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
The difference between loan and lend.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
... Maybe this is a regional thing, and perhaps no one else here has been an auditory witness to this verbal silliness. But to the folks who are out there doing this, PLEASE, cut it out already! Okay. I feel better. Boy, do I like the Tavern.......:)
While one's region may have some impact on grammar and certainly delivers some quaint colloquialisms, I suspect the larger issues driving "verbal silliness" are more a product of our failing public education system and to a great extent poor parenting. I'm often astonished as I walk through the local mall and listen for what passes as "Speaking English" among today's youth :(.

Welder ... I'm reasonably certain that we have not discharged any forum members over spelling errors or bad grammar :).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My biggest pet peeve is the misuse of the words "I" and "Myself". People, sometimes it is proper grammar to refer to yourself as "me".

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My pet peeve of late is mute being used in place of moot.
LOL, some of the people guilty of these things should stay mute. :D

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
i am always amazed at people from one area/culture/heritage trying to make others conform to what they believe is proper (reconstruction?). i use the orthography of my ancestors spoken through Southern colloqial language and am proud to speak my way! i feel it is best to read, interpret (if necessary) and enjoy the context rather than pick and nag. Dixie agrees with me and wishes all a fat and juicy turkey!

·
Administrator
23,044 Posts
While one's region may have some impact on grammar and certainly delivers some quaint colloquialisms, I suspect the larger issues driving "verbal silliness" are more a product of our failing public education system and to a great extent poor parenting. I'm often astonished as I walk through the local mall and listen for what passes as "Speaking English" among today's youth :(.
Add that to the poor acoustics at a drive thru and you swear you have been abducted by aliens and are on another planet but the real problem is when you get to the window it isn't any better.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Between and among. TV is getting pretty bad also. This example seems to crop up quite a bit.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
i am always amazed at people from one area/culture/heritage trying to make others conform to what they believe is proper (reconstruction?). i use the orthography of my ancestors spoken through Southern colloqial language and am proud to speak my way! i feel it is best to read, interpret (if necessary) and enjoy the context rather than pick and nag. Dixie agrees with me and wishes all a fat and juicy turkey!
Us in PA have our Dutchy talk as well.... You don't take a shower, you take a shar, there are strange creatures that are called doohickies and whatchamacallits. The list goes on and on and on, but that's a good sample. I am not "Dutch-a-fied", much to their dismay. Sometimes I feel like they speak a totally different language than me. And spelling, forget about it. I've seen people spell wood pile as wood pow, no kidding. It's a scary world up here.....

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I never made a mistake in grammar but once in my life and as soon as I done it I seen it. — Carl Sandburg

1 - 20 of 68 Posts