Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe I got one! My hands are still shaking like a 60 year old with buck fever.

Any reccomendations/experience for a starting load for this little carbine using the hornady lever revolution 225 grain bullets? Just seems to me they ought to shoot very well, if the soft nose will feed.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I assume you are referring to the old Deerslayer semi-auto? Good find, I haven't even seen one for quite some time. There was a problem with some of them with the frame or operating rod cracking (can't remember which) so check it carefully.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Had one and it liked loads about like factory loadings. Cut back on the powder and it jammed bad. Handy little rifle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use H110 in mine I found it to burn cleaner that imr4227 and made the switch because I was woried about fouling up the gas port. I use 23gr H110 with 240gr xtp coL.1.610 wich was right at the crimp grove. The problem they have was the stock cracking if it became loose. If yours is loose you remove the but plate and tighten the bolt, I believe it is a flathead but I dont remember for sure, you wil need a long screwdriver to reach the bolt because it is towrd the end of the stock. I have not tried hornadys lever revolution in mine so I cant help you with any load data ive used but this should help, hornady 44mag ftx load data
http:/www.hornady.com/assets/files/...agFTXRifle.com
Also take a look at this I found it interesting
http//hunting.about.com/od/guns/ig/Ruger-44-carbine-instructions
Good luck and hpy shooting that is a fantastic little rifle. -Bod

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Any reccomendations/experience for a starting load for this little carbine using the hornady lever revolution 225 grain bullets? Just seems to me they ought to shoot very well, if the soft nose will feed.
The good news, that little carbine was from the era of "REAL" .44 Mag loads.

Any load you see from a current manual will be fine. It will likely shoot best with loads at or near current max.

Lever revolution is new stuff, and will not blow your legacy Ruger up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Can't believe I got one! My hands are still shaking like a 60 year old with buck fever.

I have one and it likes near max loads, I use H-110 and 240 grain JSP & JHP bullets. Lighter loads I tried did not cycle.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Wife recently used a first year production Model 44 carbine for her Hog and Whitetail Doe. We have a TWO digit serial number on her gun, but sure shoots as good as any newer version. I am not fond of the 'shotgun ammo loading process' on this gun. I wish it had the removeable mag that is used in todays bolt action version.. But on the other hand, here are the results...She used MagTech 240 gr sjsp ammo at a distance of about 50 yards for each animal.

Here's her gun with her deer

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
T Man,
Do you pack spare mag(s) for your 77?
I'm looking for belt type carriers for the 77/357-44 magazines. I use Speed Loader carriers for my BX10's, and they work great for that, but I haven't seen a source for the larger magazines.

To answer your question more clearly, I have a couple Uncle Mikes Folding Carriers for handgun rounds, for hunting. I use separate carriers for .357 & .44 so the loops stay tight enough to hold .357's securely. I did buy 3 extra magazines for both rifles though, I figure 4 magazines should last a lifetime, as they do hold up well, and are easy to clean.

I'm thinking that a 10 shot staggered box magazine would be a good option though, I'd buy a few of those if they magically appeared.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
unburned powder

I am loading IMR 4227, 23 gr behind a 240 gr XTP. I am using large pistol primers, CCI.......getting a lot of unburned powder, which ain't good in the little 44. carbine. Will a hotter primer, say a large magnum pistol primer help fire up the powder? I plan to get H110 come payday, but I'm still curious about the 4227.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Make sure you crimp the heck out of them...

If that does not work, back off the load a bit and try a magnum primer before you work back up...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hadn't thought about the crimp. Planning to load some H110 for the carbines (I found another one). The 4227 load is just the generic load for my blackhawks, and I don't put a heavy crimp in them. The little guns like it fine, but the unburned powder is an issue.
I will try recrimping a dozen or so, just to see.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I am loading IMR 4227, 23 gr behind a 240 gr XTP. I am using large pistol primers, CCI. Will a hotter primer, say a large magnum pistol primer help fire up the powder?
I think you'll find that there are few perfect powder/primer combinations. Unburned powder is usually a sign that you're not getting either good ignition, or you haven't hit the optimal working pressure for the propellent to burn completely. Compressed loads with some combinations leave lots of junk in the tube, and often even on the bench. Crimp/uniform crimp can make a surprising amount of difference. Look closely at the factory stuff, it's thoroughly crimped, and it usually shoots pretty good.

W296/H110 is a very good choice in the straight cased magnums, but you need to load 'em pretty hot to get decent accuracy, with minimal "unburned" powder residue. The unburned thing is actually rare, and just ash. If you think it's unburned put a match to the kernels, unburned is pretty obvious.

Try a magnum primer though, but back the load down first. 4227 is really just as good as the ball powders, it just meters differently. Accuracy with any powder is a matter of testing it out, and some bullets, for whatever reason, just don't shoot well in some guns.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
will do

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Recrimping the 4227 loads worked out well, much less "stuff" in the action. Loaded some H110, 21, 22, 23 gr with magnum primers. Too hot. 23 Gr all over the paper at 50 yds with both guns. Tried the load in my SBH, primers flattened. Kind of hard to tell about that with a gas operating system, I think, because the primers looked fine coming out of the carbine. Finally settled on 22 gr of 110 with regular large pistol primers, and got a 2 inch group at 100 yds. The 23 gr 4227 shoots to the same point of aim as the 110, so with a good crimp I actually have two powders which perform in those two guns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts