Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from my morning walk, during the walk young people would run by me and look at me as if to say "get out of the way pops, your blocking the path." Thought to my self, be happy you are young and can still run. Then it occurred to me, what have they got to be happy about everybody gets to young, not every body gets to be old. I should be happy, in two weeks I will be seventy and even with all my aches and pains I can still get out and walk six miles, not everybody can do that, so I should be the happy one; so all you old geezers out there be happy in your advanced age.

PS: When I walk I wear a fanny pack (I know it looks dorky but at my age who cares). In this pack I have my ID, cell phone in case of an emergency and my SR9C in case of an emergency.

·
Super Moderator
21,204 Posts
I have a 4 mile route I walk and have done so for years. I used to run until I hit the 2's. Two knee surgeries, too fat and too old. People along my route know me and wave and say hi. I carry dog spray and a handgun, usually my NAA minimag. The key is to do it and keep going. Keep the joints moving and they stay lubed. Get a little oxygen to the brain and it stays healthy. I may start with the aches and pains but when I finish I feel better.

We head down to your fine state in the winter and keep it going down there.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yes, be happy. Both my parents had health problems that had severely limited their mobility by that age. Enjoy being able to do what you do.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Great thoughts, Airdale.

Last week I moved my 90 year old mother in with us. Wow, she certainly is frail and can barely get around. Yet, with the temp at 104, she went outside with her walker and took a stroll. I had to put an end to that and let her know we can walk in the cooler hours of the morning.

At my age, 61 ... I'm moving slower and feeling more aches and pains than I used to. Losing a few pounds would probably help. I have a 2 mile route that I usually take twice ... but not often enough.

Good health to all of you "old geezers."

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I walk,Tour over 8 miles a shift,for 62 y/o excellent shape even though had bypass 17 years ago,a couple of major surgerys,GOD must want me around for a good reason,Like a Timex watch,Keeps on ticking !

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'm 62 and go out and walk with the dogs for two miles every day. I also wear a fanny pack with many of the same items as you, but also pack my Bearcat and occasionally something larger when bears get to be an issue.

Every time I feel a bit lazy, I think of my friend who has MS. She gets out on her crutches three times a day, every day, rain or snow, because she is determined to keep moving as long as she can. My husband has back problems which limits how far he can walk at any one time, too, so he can't join me on my long walks. Do I take walking for granted, then? Not on your life. I walk while I can, as far as I can and thank God every day that I still can.

·
Registered
144 Posts
II hope I'm as active at your age, keep up the good wok and ignore them whipper snappers!

Just got back from my morning walk, during the walk young people would run by me and look at me as if to say "get out of the way pops, your blocking the path." Thought to my self, be happy you are young and can still run. Then it occurred to me, what have they got to be happy about everybody gets to young, not every body gets to be old. I should be happy, in two weeks I will be seventy and even with all my aches and pains I can still get out and walk six miles, not everybody can do that, so I should be the happy one; so all you old geezers out there be happy in your advanced age.

PS: When I walk I wear a fanny pack (I know it looks dorky but at my age who cares). In this pack I have my ID, cell phone in case of an emergency and my SR9C in case of an emergency.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My next door neighbor passed last year due to terminal cancer. 84 y/o and 22 years older than me. That woman could outwork me any day of the week. Towards the last she would come over and get me to start her weedeater for her. I know her kids didn't want her doing anything, but figured she had the right to do anything she wanted. I can only hope to have her attitude. "Body in motion tends to stay in motion"

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I'll be 75 in a couple of weeks...everyone says "you don't look like you are in your 70's"....they should see if from in here!! Lots of very hard miles as a younger man and frankly should have probably died in my 50's but some things changed in my life and things got better...My Mom lived to 97 and was still in her home...and had a "boy friend"...Dad had cancer at 72 that took him...I got lots of "added parts" and stuff that doesn't work but just keep plugging....I was pretty active up to a couple of years ago when I lost the use of a lung..that along with COPD from a life time of smoking (not for a long time now) and some asthema make exercise a real issue...Just glad to recall where I put things and able to enjoy my wife, kids, grandkids and great grandson....I'm a surly old futz and I think that keeps me feeling alive. Congrats to all the older folks...we know things the youngsters don't (they think they do but they don't).

The picture is of me and my Great Grandson (we got him trained to just call me "Great") about January of this year...my Wife says I look like a Mafia Don in the picture. Oh well

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Airdale, as you, I'd rather be a geezer than a goner. We Texans are blessed with good weather much of the year and there is no reason to not get outdoors except maybe when its 104. Although, my hunting buddies and I seem to wait until late July and August to work on our stands and check out the lease.

I walk my Yellow Lab every day, rain or shine. He probably has saved my life, since my self-discipline for exercise is somewhat weak. I call him my Angel because when I would probably turn over to sleep an hour he stands beside the bed with his big head on it and if I don't get up right away then he puts he paws on the bed and licks me in the face with a sloppy tongue. If that won't get you up, nothing will.

Several people have inspired me to keep mentally and physically active. One friend I talked with a few days ago is 92. Up until a few years ago he was one of the most physically active people I've ever known. When his legs gave away and put him in a wheel chair, he and his wife still go to a local community college pool to swim. He and I hiked the Big Bend National Park when I was 35 and he 65. His influence encouraged me to hike part of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. I am in my mid 70s. One of my hunting buddies who is now 76 use to race cars and motorcycles. A couple of years ago, he and several of his motorcycle friends rode their bikes to Alaska. A few weeks ago he sold a hotter bike and bought a nice BMW cruiser in North Carolina and rode it back to Texas.

Seniors I talked with over the years tell me what they regret most is not the things they did, but the things they didn't try or didn't do.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I'll be 75 in a couple of weeks...everyone says "you don't look like you are in your 70's"....they should see if from in here!! Lots of very hard miles as a younger man and frankly should have probably died in my 50's but some things changed in my life and things got better...My Mom lived to 97 and was still in her home...and had a "boy friend"...Dad had cancer at 72 that took him...I got lots of "added parts" and stuff that doesn't work but just keep plugging....I was pretty active up to a couple of years ago when I lost the use of a lung..that along with COPD from a life time of smoking (not for a long time now) and some asthema make exercise a real issue...Just glad to recall where I put things and able to enjoy my wife, kids, grandkids and great grandson....I'm a surly old futz and I think that keeps me feeling alive. Congrats to all the older folks...we know things the youngsters don't (they think they do but they don't).

The picture is of me and my Great Grandson (we got him trained to just call me "Great") about January of this year...my Wife says I look like a Mafia Don in the picture. Oh well
Don Opos, yes indeed. Nice grandson with you there. The "kids" keep us young, don't they.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
We're walkers too. I notice if I slack off for a couple weeks then start walking again, I get out of breath easier going up hills. I have a noticeable difference in lung function within a week after starting again. Plus I feel good, upbeat when I get done. I think walking must be a positive all around exercise for us.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Well, at 62 I've been given Last Rights a few times and my wife and I have our 'last conversation' down to 4 words since we usually don't have time for the whole thing. I've bleed out enough times that parts of my eyes have died from lack of O2. I'm running on somebody else's parts (kidney) and a man-made heart valve too. In an x-ray I look like a box of spilled staples.

Growing old isn't for sissies. Always focus on what you *still* have.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
I wish I could still walk. While I'm not in a wheel chair, I have something called venous insufficientcy from a dozen or more deep vein thrombosis and 3 pulmonary embolisms. On top of that, the only time most of the year I could stand walking in Phoenix is during our midget winter. It hit 116 degrees here this summer. I think the all time record is 122 degrees. Last year we hit 118.

I used to live in San Jose, CA. While their gun laws suck, you can't beat the weather. It was amazing year round and I used to walk/jog/run most of my life back there.

Now I plan my trips from the living room to the bedroom!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
There were bets that I would not make twenty-one. Yet here I am at sixty-six still going strong.

I am a Range Safety Officer at our gun club. We had a hunter rifle sight-in-service open to the public this weekend. During a lull in customers, I put three consecutive Hornady .223 53 gr V-MAX Superformance rounds through the same hole at a hundred yards from my Colt H-Bar Elite CR6724.

The spotter marked my first round. He said I completely missed the target on the next two shots. I moved to the lower left diamond for my fourth shot. He marked it, measured it, and then admitted I had put three rounds through the same hole. I adjusted my scope and put five rounds in the one inch bull's eye that could be covered by a dime.

I an too old to run or fight, so I have to carry a gun.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
At mid fiftties I'm starting to inherit a few creaks I did not have previously.
Although I am in better shape than most half my age.

·
Registered
282 Posts
As many can attest, I 'suddenly' :eek: find myself nearing the 7th decade on this wondrous and dangerous planet.

Go to work most weekdays which keeps the juices flowing and brain in gear (though get a bit frustrated :( when the 'word' doesn't just pop out sometimes). Note: I'm fortunate to be the "boss" - a word/concept that is not allowed except to jive me - first name only.

Blessed with a great team to pass the company leadership onward (85 yr anniversary this year) though only my 25th.

Work in a competive market shared with a wide variety of folk (age, culture, nationality, race, education, single, married, kids, etc.) also helps 'keep one keepin on'.

Plus the alternative ain't so great if you want to spend time with the grandkids while they grow.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts