Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a back hankering to get me a GP100 in 3", probably blued.
I don't really need it, but have an itch to get it anyway; don't guess anyone else ever had this problem.

Anyway, looking at one made back in around '88 or '89 in blued. How would it compare to today's Wiley Clapp blued 3" or just a SS 3"? I'm talkin' compare in any and every way, e.g. quality (how does quality compare in the late 80's to 2015; did they make any major changes? ), price, etc.

(the old one, he wants about $500, course a new one cost what, $600 for a used one, and $700 for new)

Thanks for any input and help. I'd primarily use it for HD and have +P's hollows loaded in it, probably 158's.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I bought a 4" gp100 built in 2014 and other than it having an easy to change firing pin and mim? trigger it's basically the same gun as the one I had from the 80s. Fit and finish on this particular gun is as good as any I've seen on any mfg, no barrel cant, uneven part fitment, etc and it has a nice action (unusual for out of the box Ruger in my experience) and shoots as good as any revolver I've ever shot. I also have a blued wiley clapp 3" and would say the same for it and it would be true but did have to send it back to Ruger because the pawl (hand) didn't retract back into its window as it should but they fixed it and had it back to me in little over a weeks time. I also have 2 new 3" stainless adjustable sight gp's and they're nice guns but the crane to frame gap were uneven which has no effect on the guns but doesnt meet the cosmetics of either of the others mentioned. I think you can pick up a new GP100, wiley clapp excluded for just under $600 and although you state blued, I've seen several used lnib fixed sight stainless 3" gp's at Bud's in the $450 range.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input Kentucky. (I used to live near Ft Knox)
I'll check Bud's...HAVE been checking only GnBrkr )
Strange, the SS ones cost less than the blued?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Albert, I too would love to have the 3 inch barreled blued or stainless GP100 with adjustable sights. From your description you don't mention adjustable sights. A Ruger Security Six with a 2.75 inch barrel & adjustable sights would fit the bill very nicely! There was one here for sale about 2-3 months ago that was mint the seller was asking $550.00 for it. I am sure the new GP100's are well made but if I could get one from 8-10 years back that was mint I would choose it. I do not know all of your preferences but it sounds like you want a good solid gun but what I am not sure about are the features you might want. Such as say a GP100 half lug or full lug barrel etc! But I really like the blued GP100 Wiley Clapp model. But the best bang for the buck dollars spent a standard Blued GP100 4 inch barrel adjustable sights .357 is the one I would be looking for. Something about the 3 inch barrel makes these guns kinda pricey!!! I hope you find your gun, my version is a S&W Model 66 no dash 4 inch barrel. Not as heavy duty as the GP100 but it does what I want. Again good luck to you hope you find that GP100!!!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
GP100 3" barrel blued is not a common configuration. I won't go as far as to call them rare but certainly uncommon, especially in 357 magnum. More likely to come across one in 38 Special (1722) as there was another run of those a few years back but a 357 magnum 3" blue will be few and far between and might explain the $500 price you saw. I've paid that for brand new GP100s - but not a 3" blue 357. That's what makes the blue Wiley Clapp a little more unique to me than the stainless steel version. In overall production of GP100s over the past 30 years the 3" blued 357 has been pretty scarce.

As for old versus new I don't hold to the theory that the old guns were always better. Old guns had issues too from time to time just like the new ones. What has changed is gun forums like this one that gives everybody a place to gripe about their problems and disappointments. Rarely do people join a forum just to praise their new gun but they'll sure do it to gripe about a problem. Gives the impression that there are nothing but problems these days, quality control is bad, etc. I've never had to send in a new GP100 for service but I have had to send in two old ones from the late 1980s.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input all. Never could understand adj sights on a snubbie. I don't have to have them. Here's one that's on GB now, IF I won't to say to heck with it and pay their price. Reviews on the Wiley Clapp are just smokin' good. Just a little tank of a gn...I think at around 37 oz. Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100 .357Mag/.38Spl 1753 : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
the only real difference ive been able to detect over the years is that the triggers are often better nowadays. This varies greatly, of course.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've got a GP100 MC with adjustable sights. After unsent it back to Ruger to fix empty cases not ejecting cases easily, it's a great gun. The MC changes are mostly felt with the trigger. The SS is nicely finished. The 4.2" barrel is a good length.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts