Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Colorado. Love this forum!
I very recently acquired a very very nice GP100; .357 Mag, Adj. Sights, GP141, 4” Target Barrel (full lug), blue. The only sign of use is slight ring on the cylinder. Checking the serial number, I find that this jewel was made in 1986, which is apparently the first year for GP100 production. A question if I may: does the fact that this is a “first year of production” item add or detract from the value of the revolver? Not that I am interested in parting with it but I am curious as to it’s worth . . . or lack thereof.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Nope, it doesn't unless it's unfired NIB with all papers.
Denis
Yup....pretty much the deciding factor on value!

Enjoy though...pretty cool pick-up! :D

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The bluing might be nicer than on newer guns? Not sure how true that is, though. My 2000-ish GP100 has a "deeper" blue than my Single Ten, but perhaps they just don't finish both the same way even now.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
A nice find of a great gun. GP are just about immortal given any sort of care.

BTW you don't have a 'bull' barrel, you have a full under lug barrel.

A bull barrel is larger in diameter in all directions, not just the bottom to hold the ejector. I wouldn't do for you to be confused about that as I don't *think* there ever were true 'bull' barrel GP's made.

Enjoy it and shoot it like you stole it!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
There was a Bull Barrel Service Six, I have one, it's called a Machine Heavy Barrel. It was an attempt by Ruger to make the Service Six more like a S&W 10 or 13. They're rare, but mine was a cop gun, and thus hs a lot of "cop wear" so isn't collectible.

Early GP100's are neat, I have a 1989 production, but like was said unless new in the "yellow box" they don't bring any premium. A 1986 production GP100 in used condition has no more collector value than a used "low back" Security Six, I've bought a few of those for the same prices as later models.

I would like to add a 4" 1986 production GP100 to my GP collection, just to have one of the "first" ones,but I wouldn't pay a premium for it. I walked away from a well-worn blue 170 prefix for $400 at a gun show, just didn't need another "beater".

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
BTW you don't have a 'bull' barrel, you have a full under lug barrel.

A bull barrel is larger in diameter in all directions, not just the bottom to hold the ejector. I wouldn't do for you to be confused about that as I don't *think* there ever were true 'bull' barrel GP's made.
Well, bull usually means little or no taper down the barrel. The GP has no real taper down the barrel (at least my 4" don't appear to, maybe a 6" looks different) in partial or full lug configuration. So it doesn't seem unreasonable to call it a bull barrel. Though you are right, no one calls them that, maybe just because there was never a light/tapered/mountain gun barrel option on the GP.

Also, the OP just said "target" barrel, which I suppose the adjustable sight model with the extra weight of the full underlug might qualify as. :)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Ok, have it your way. Everything really means something else.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
A bull barrel is not simply a straight barrel.
It's a heavy much-oversized-in-diameter barrel, and it has a specific meaning in the "bull barrel community". :)
Denis

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
A bull barrel is not simply a straight barrel.
It's a heavy much-oversized-in-diameter barrel, and it has a specific meaning in the "bull barrel community". :)
Denis
Haha, fair enough. I guess S&W calls their non-tapered barrels "heavy" not "bull", and as ExArmy pointed out, so does Ruger when there is more than one barrel thickness. Though again, the OP never called it a bull barrel in the first place.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Uh, I didnn’t say “bull barrel” – I said “target barrel” which is what it says on the label on the end of the yellow box . . .
Also, thanks to all for your input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts