Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new model single six and sold it last year. I missed it too much and found this old model to replace it. Its a 6.5" barrel fixed sight model in blue. Ruger chart dates it between 1970-71. The finish is in decent shape and came with the pistol, original box, .22 magnum box with red fuzzy bag and the .22lr cylinder.

Upon inspecting it everything looked great and original. Untouched without the transfer bar. The 3 screws look like they have never been turned. Bore clean with decent land and grooves.

As i was cleaning out the .22 mag cylinder i noticed the step inside the 3 chambers.

The other 3 did not have the step. I dropped a few .22wmr inside and only 3 fit, they would not fit the other three.

Seems like the bullet fits but not the case. Then I tried the .22lr round and those fit the chambers the .22wmr woulnt fit.

I checked both cylinders and they have consistant elctropencil marks on the cylinders with matching last three digits. However i noticed the .22 wmr cyclinder is not marked ".22 wmr" or "magnum" anywhere and i remember seeing that on some photos of old model single sixes.

Thoughts? What to do? should i shoot magnum rounds through the ones that fit? and .22lr in the ones that dont? Should i send this to Ruger and have them look even though im not original owner and its 40 years old?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeap cleaned. They are different diameters. Anyone know what diameter the chambers are supposed to be? i can measure it with a caliper. The .22lr seems like a tight fit.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Is it possible someone reamed a standard .22 cylinder to hold 3 standard 22's and 3 .22 mags? All my convertables have solid cylinders for the .22 mag and not fluted like the one in the picture. :confused:
Does the numbers on the cylinder match the ones on pistol?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My .22 mag cylinder is fluted like this one. I'd suggest calling Ruger and see if they have a recommendation. That definitely isn't right.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
That gets my vote for weird, no doubt about it. A 22 mag chamber is a larger diameter than a 22 LR and it is by design. My guess is that someone had a 22 LR cylinder reamed out in three chambers to shoot 22 mags. Don't see how Ruger could have done that, accidentally. If you want to salvage that cylinder, your only option would be to ream out the other three holes to 22 mag.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Striking eagle

Sound to me that you haves a second 22LR cylinder. The 22mag are little larger in Diameter and will not fit into 22LR cylinder. The 22mag Casing are 15/64" and the 22Lr are 7/32 you will Notice that bullet are same but Mag has heavier case !

Striking Eagle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sound to me that you haves a second 22LR cylinder. The 22mag are little larger in Diameter and will not fit into 22LR cylinder. The 22mag Casing are 15/64" and the 22Lr are 7/32 you will Notice that bullet are same but Mag has heavier case !

Striking Eagle
But then why does 3 holes fit a 22mag and 3 only fit a 22lr? It sounds like some kind of customization work to me. how ever the reasoning escapes me. unless the previous owner wanted a pistol to use for both small game (squirrel) and preditors while setting in a deer stand. Are there any external markings to distinguish what round may be under the hammer at any given time? I think I see a center punch mark next to one. :confused:

·
Registered
210 Posts
How accurate are the .22 LR cylinders. If they aren't accurate I would just just destroy the cylinder and get a new one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the barrel determines the pistols acc. to the most extent. The prev. owner liked to tinker or had money to burn. try both of them out, do not put 22lr in mag tube (unsholdered). Good luck,
Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
Whatever you do, do not send it to Ruger to get it fixed. They will not fix it unless you convert it to the new safety system. Have an independent gunsmith ream the cylinder holes that need it.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Looks like you got the first '3' shooter and don't have to change cylinders when you want to shoot mags :) ! Looks like a custom cylinder. Every other hole to keep it balanced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tore it down completely and cleaned everything thoroughly. It was quite dirty. I suspect it has never been completely tore down and cleaned. Interesting to see the differences between the old and new model. At first i thought i was missing a trigger spring. After the TLC i took some measurements.

There is almost no play forward or back in the cylinders. Maybe slightly more with the mag cylinder but not much. I measured cylinder to forcing cone gap with a feeler.

With the hammer down:

22LR cylinder .0025-.003 pulled back. pushed forward i can barely fit the .003.

22Mag cylinder .003-.004 pulled back. Pushed forward i can barely fit the .004.

There is very slight play when hammer back full locked. The pawl looks slightly worn on the sides of the teeth. Id like to replace it. Are there any differences between the old model pawls and new model?

I wont be sending it to Ruger. The trigger feels amazing compared to the new model single six i had. Im also loving the action. Ill get the 3 chambers on the .22 mag cylinder reamed someday but ill just enjoy it like this for now.

·
Patriot
393 Posts
Wouldn't reaming chambers in a .22lr cylinder to take .22 mag be dangerous? Mags require a thicker chamber wall to handle the greater pressure. Unless I misunderstood the advice people were giving if so I apologize.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Someone who does walk-about hunting did that on purpose. Its so he can shoot rabbit or squirrel with LR without exploding it, however also having some WMR available if a fox or coyote shows up.

It was more often done with only a single WMR chamber though, not three.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It occurs to me that this might be a simple slip up in manufacturing, that left the 3 cylinders undersized. Perhaps it was on a CNC machine or at the minimum a turret lathe and was pulled off incompletely bored.
Maybe it was Friday or lunch time who knows, maybe the operator had to take a P.
Get it bored out and shoot it!
Gabby

1 - 17 of 17 Posts