Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
I can't answer that question, but since no one else is either, I'll say that Power Custom makes a kit that more or less restores the traditional cocking sounds and sequence, with or without the transfer bar, though you sign a waiver for the second option. The hammer profile won't be the same unless you find an older kit. This approach is not the same as putting it back to stock, which I assume is what you really want.

· Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,549 Posts
GunNut71, The following parts are needed: Hammer, trigger, trigger spring, and base pin.

These parts are getting scarce for the same reason as yours ... people want to restore OMs to pre-conversion status. The going price for a pre-conversion kit used to be $100 but I think that has gone up quite a bit in recent years.

When Ruger does the factory conversion, they stamp an "R" on the cylinder frame (under the left grip). When people try to pass off a reconverted gun as "factory original" the "R" stamp will devalue the gun by as much as $100 ... and that assumes the conversion parts are included.

· Registered
38 Posts
I have an '62 old model Single Six that had the transfer bar rework done to it and I can't find an "R" anywhere on the cylinder frame. I have no idea when the rework was done since I got it used.

I personally like having the tranfer bar system. It allows me to load all 6 chambers without having to worry about it.... but of course, it's not a safe queen, I shoot it regularly.

· Registered
2 Posts
1958 Ruger .357 Blackhawk

I have been carrying this on an off a horse since I was about ten. It felt good on my hip when I got it and it still feels good today. If I can't operate it without shooting myself, I have no business having it at all - so I didn't send it back for the conversion and, in exchange, Ruger won't sell me parts for it.

I carry guns for the same reason I have always carried guns - for work. This gun feels almost as good as the old 1878 .45 Colts I had, but they weren't proofed for smokeless, so I finally sold them.

I'd buy the conversion kit and the box and papers for this if I could find them - but I'm not going to send it back for any mods. Just sayin'.

· Banned
4,290 Posts
To each their own, of course. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

However, for me, especially if it's a "working gun," I'd sure prefer to have 6 rounds loaded instead of just 5. I'm just sayin' :)

· Registered
210 Posts
lI saw the writing on the wall a few years back about the restoration parts drying up. I bought a set of parts for $75. Ruger says that they will send all of the original parts back, but many cases were reported where folks got their gun back with the transfer bar installed, and a little note saying that the original parts were "misplaced".

Then, oddly enough, there were gentlemen on the Ruger Forums, saying "Oh, I have a few sets of parts laying around here somewhere. I can dig them up for, uh, $75." I mean, who just happens to have extra parts sets laying around that they don't need? It seems to me that for every gun there is a set of parts, and if someone has "extra sets", could these be the parts that were misplaced at Ruger?

· Banned
1,909 Posts
I have been carrying this on an off a horse since I was about ten. It felt good on my hip when I got it and it still feels good today. If I can't operate it without shooting myself, I have no business having it at all - so I didn't send it back for the conversion and, in exchange, Ruger won't sell me parts for it.

I carry guns for the same reason I have always carried guns - for work. This gun feels almost as good as the old 1878 .45 Colts I had, but they weren't proofed for smokeless, so I finally sold them.

I'd buy the conversion kit and the box and papers for this if I could find them - but I'm not going to send it back for any mods. Just sayin'.
Nothing wrong with that as long as you don't carry a live round under the hammer. It has nothing to do with your safety habits, although are indispensable of course.
It's the unknown that causes it to be unsafe; the stirrup that flops down while your cinching up and bangs the hammer, the gun that slips out of a wet hand and they always land on the hammer because the butt end of the gun is heaviest, accidently banging the hammer on the truck door handle exiting in a hurry, etc., etc. These things have all happened.

Jim

· Registered
5,722 Posts
If you really want a shock check ebay under ruger box and see what the cardboard boxes are bringing....it's amazing...an old model Super Blackhawk box in decent shape is bringing over $100 pretty regularly...I have an unfired, unconverted 1965 Blackhawk 357 mag in 4.6" bbl...I'd kill for an original box and paper work...almost...I had one offered with all the goodies about a year ago...lowest price he'd go was $125 for the package...just couldn't do it..but now thinking I should have ... oh well

Parts "packages" if they show up at all will easily top $100 and they are getting really scarce...folks just tossed them or lost them.

Just noticed (Thursday evening) there is a "parts kit" on e bay (for a single six that was converted) ...it's got a day or two to run...it's got 8 bids so far and is at $31 for now...I'll bet a nickle it brings over $100 when the "smoke clears)...got a jeweled hammer ??

· Banned
1,909 Posts
I just bought a circa 1956 Single Six, and it has the transfer bar installed. I would like to put it back to original condition. What parts would I need in order to do this?

Thanks!
The only parts you really need are the OM hammer and OM cylinder latch (can still be ordered new from some parts suppliers other than Ruger). The latch spring and the pawl in the transfer bar conversion are the same as the original parts. The pawl should be retained because it's fitted to your gun.
The transfer bar conversion trigger will work fine, by just cutting off the lever that attached to the transfer bar.

So the hammer is your only challenge to find and they come up quite often on e-bay and Gunbroker.

As someone posted above, Powers Custom makes an OM drop in hammer but only the Bisley style and not in the single six size.

Jim

· Banned
1,909 Posts
Just noticed (Thursday evening) there is a "parts kit" on e bay (for a single six that was converted) ...it's got a day or two to run...it's got 8 bids so far and is at $31 for now...I'll bet a nickle it brings over $100 when the "smoke clears)...got a jeweled hammer ??
I think the jeweled & rusted hammer may keep the price down a bit, at least it seems to have kept the number of different bidders down to only 6 so far.

Jim

· Registered
3,197 Posts
When Ruger "converts" an Old Model sixgun, they remove seven original parts . . .

Hammer
Trigger
Trigger plunger spring
Bolt
Bolt spring
Pawl
Base pin

You would need all these to do a "fully original" re-conversion.

:)

· Banned
1,909 Posts
These parts are identical and will be fully original for re-conversion:

Trigger plunger spring (the extra spring pressure on the conversion trigger is from the bump added to the back of the trigger)
Bolt spring
Pawl

And the pawl in the gun should be retained, it's been properly fitted to the gun by Ruger.
Any pawl from a parts kit may not work right or may not fit as well.

Jim

· Registered
3,197 Posts
On the ones I've had done, the pawl was replaced and the original returned. I could not see any difference, but apparently The Factory just replaced all the internals as a matter of standard practice.

I have not had a "conversion" with as good an action as the original.

· Banned
1,909 Posts
You're correct, they always replace and fit a new pawl.

I too, have never met a conversion action that I liked either.

I have a friend with an old model single six with the conversion who wanted to retain it because he would use the gun to teach his grandkids how to shoot.

It took all my action tuning skills to get a smooth enough action that I could remove the bump on the back of the conversion trigger (to reduce spring pressure) and still have the action function properly, and get a decent trigger pull!

Jim

· Registered
210 Posts
I had a guy offer me $200 for the set of parts set that I have. They look like new, and the hammer looks just like brand new. The hammer on my Flatgate has polished steel on the top, and the one in the set that I bought a few years ago looks unused, the paint like new. I told him that I didn't want money. The only way that I'll part with my set is an even trade for an original box and paperwork. I have a perfect set of black rubber grips too. I have no idea what a perfect set of grips should bring, but someone with a mint Lightweight with a chipped corner on his grip will determine their worth. I don't want them on my gun. I'd put the shiny new parts in my gun, but then it wouldn't be the hammer that my Dad pulled back thousands of times. They wouldn't be the grips in pictures of my Dad with his trusty Single-Six holstered on our fishin' trips. But I'm not interested in money. I'm interested in barter, just like the good ol' days. I just want a complete kit. I want to have a nice box for my Flatgate to rest in when My Brother's Grandson gives it to his Son or Daughter. When my parts set finds a home, I want someone to hear the music of pulling the action back just like Bill Ruger heard when number one came off of the line. He must have been a happy man on that day. With the transfer bar in there, the music's gone. When someone gets these parts in their gun, the sound will be well worth a few pieces of cardboard. I just wonder how many parts are scattered in a tool box, or were pitched by an ex-wife after a divorce. Some of these treasures will never be restored after the lawyers forced Ruger to install the unwanted fool-proof safety system on every gun returned for minor service work. That I will never understand.
I would be willing to trade the mint grips and the parts set for a pair of Ruger Sambar Stag grips.

· Registered
774 Posts
. . . I'd put the shiny new parts in my gun, but then it wouldn't be the hammer that my Dad pulled back thousands of times. . . .
That's why the top of the hammer is "polished" and not blued as it would have been when it left the factory. My 1957 Single Six has the same "character" from my thumbing back the hammer those many years since I received it new as a gift.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.