Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the NEW MODEL VAQUERO`s have been out for a while. What is the general thinking are they that much better than the OLD MODEL VAQUERO`s. I don`t have any NM`s just OM`s VAUQERO`s, and I have several. I think I prefer the OM VAQUERO`s am I just out of touch with main stream thinking. I am getting pretty old and have used the OM`s VAQUERO since they first came out. Am I wrong, I would like to hear your what you think. ken

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
The new Vaquero feels enough different to me that I tend to agree with you. The triggerguard raps my knuckle with heavy loads, and the hammer is awkward. I like the pistol, but I'm not sure it's any better. may have to get another one or two, just to be sure.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's nice that the OM's can handle high pressure (ruger only) loads and the OM feels better (to me).

However, the NM is definitely more svelte and when compared side by side, the NM looks better (to me).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looking at my avatar you can see I have one of each. The old Model is a somewhat larger pistol. I never had any problems but I must admit the New model is more comfortable to me. It's not so much of a reach to cock the hammer. My reloads are low-power so the larger cylinder of the Old model is a non-issue to me.:D

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Huh, last I knew ALL Vaquero models were New Model design (transfer bar action). ;)

Sorry just annoying that ppl use incorrect terminology on this. Vaquero and New Vaquero, large frame, medium frame...

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Huh, last I knew ALL Vaquero models were New Model design (transfer bar action). ;)

Sorry just annoying that ppl use incorrect terminology on this. Vaquero and New Vaquero, large frame, medium frame...
+1 on that...I have a couple of "original large frame" Vaqero's and really like them...I also have a "New Vaquero" with the smaller frame and even though I load lighter loads...I just don' t like it as well...Ruger sure got lots of folks confused with the name "New Vaquero" leading many to think there was an "old model Vaquero"...like in the Blackhawk series...no "old model" exists. In addition they have now removed the word "new model" from the guns so what are they now?..."new old models or old new models"...wheeeeee

·
Registered
44 Posts
I like the old Model

I actually had the NM before I got an OM. I like the OM much better, it is heavier and has the 71/2 inch barrel which I like. The NM was too light and a bit soo small. I traded the NM for a Benalli shotgun!

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I like the old model because it hase the xr3red grip frame. for me the colt style grip frame is a horrendous natural pointer. I know heresy but for me so are the glock and the luger and far worst of all the 1911 with both style of mainspring housing. for me the best natural pointer is the ruger bisley grip frame.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I never seen an Old Model Vaquero but do have an original Vaquero. I don't have a New Vaquero, but do have two .45 Colt flattops which are on the medium frame ... love 'em. I could be happy with large or medium frame. Both handle any .45 Colt load I want to put through them. I don't need/use Ruger Only Loads in my .45s for all of my shooting. If I did, I still have a BH to handle that if needed. Guess what I am saying is if I was in the buying mood for a fixed sight revolver, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a New Vaquero which is closer to the SAA than the original Vaquero.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have both and OM and a NM. I like the OM better. It is heavier and a little larger than the NM, but the OM action is much smoother than the NM and it is more accurate. Both have ivory grips and I think they look better on the blue OM than on the stainless NM, if that's worth anything. In fairness, my NM has a bisley grip and I think it is too large for my hand. So the NM is not particularly comfortable, but the regular grip on the OM is perfect.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
but the OM action is much smoother
I do believe that is why a lot of people prefer the three screw action (OM) revolvers. They feel that the action is smoother. However both the original Vaquero and New Vaquero are New Models which have the same actions. The hammer spring on the New Vaquero is lighter which affects lock time and trigger pull to some extent. Both though can be 'touched up' for fairly good trigger pulls. I just had one of my .45 Colt flattops touched up by Bob Munden and it is very good.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't have an original Vaquero (old model), but I do have a stainless New Vaquero and a new model Blackhawk. IIRC the BH (new or old) have the same frame and cylinder dimensions of the original Vaquero.

Although they're both in .357, it's hard to compare apples to apples since my NMBH is blued (and therefore has the abominable aluminum frame) as well as a 6.5" barrel, while my SS New Vaquero is all-steel and has a 5.5" barrel. Between the two it's difficult to pick - I like them both. The grips on the New Vaquero seem to fit me better, but the gun "feels" heavier to me (haven't actually weighed them against each other) possibly due to the all-steel construction as well as the smooth faux-ivory grips while my NMBH wears some nice checkered wooden Eagle grips, which secures it in my hand much better.

FWIW I used to own a Uberti Cattleman in .44mag that had the traditional Colt-style mechanism. The grip on that one was perfect - much better than either of my Rugers, even though the gun itself wasn't very good.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here is something most folks don't care about, but makes me prefer the new model...the gap between the cylinder & frame:

Old

New

I have a Blackhawk, and it also has a pretty noticeable gap between the cylinder and frame. And I like my Blackhawk. But I also find it ugly. I don't own an Old Vaquero, so maybe the gap is only in some pics...but I do wish all cylinders matched their frames:

BTW - my new New Vaquero, which may now be my favorite gun:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts