Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold weather and conversations over Thanksgiving meal have raised the desire to (someday) get back out and do some hunting. Probably not this year... too many more pressing issues and too few financial options... but it is nevertheless an enjoyable thought process to go through (once again)... Open question to all: .243, .270, .308, .30-06, or 30-30? As a note I still have the "old reliable" 12-ga. slug gun & a .50 Hawken replica "for now". Florida deer and / or Florida hogs. All "hypothetical" at this time, but the Ruger American looks like the route I'll go when I take the plunge. I've been told to figure $200 for glass. Any and all thoughts and advice welcome... I've got plenty of time to listen and learn...

·
Banned
370 Posts
Cold weather and conversations over Thanksgiving meal have raised the desire to (someday) get back out and do some hunting. Probably not this year... too many more pressing issues and too few financial options... but it is nevertheless an enjoyable thought process to go through (once again)... Open question to all: .243, .270, .308, .30-06, or 30-30? As a note I still have the "old reliable" 12-ga. slug gun & a .50 Hawken replica "for now". Florida deer and / or Florida hogs. All "hypothetical" at this time, but the Ruger American looks like the route I'll go when I take the plunge. I've been told to figure $200 for glass. Any and all thoughts and advice welcome... I've got plenty of time to listen and learn...
.308 in Sierra Match King 168gr is a hard round to beat for me for everything. Our family lot is 1700 acres and I blast hog with my Mossberg MVP Predator in .223, but .308 is my choice of rounds for everything.

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
That's one of those personal preference things, and all those are good rounds. I like the .308 as an all around round, but your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do you have a favorite action type? I also like the .308 as a very versatile cartridge for deer & hogs, especially if you meet up with an XXL sized boar. I own a lot of different action types and I'm sure the majority of my big game rifles are bolt guns. But, I also really like lever guns owning several in good chamberings for deer & hogs. A BLR in .308 makes for a very handy and lightweight rifle and would be hard to beat if you ever think you might need a fast 2nd shot in the Florida brush :D. We bought a Ruger American Rifle (compact) in .243 for a new shooter/hunter in our family recently and it is a decent enough rifle. I would likely also look at Marlin X7 in that same price range.

Today two Benjamins will buy you a pretty nice scope, one that would rival in quality the best Weaver, Redfield or Leupold had 30 years ago. I'd suggest the Burris FFII & Leupold VXI as good scopes to check out. I happen to own more Leupold scopes than any other brand (20+) and like their models and bullet-proof guarantee (even tho I've never used it!). I find scopes in the 2-7 range to be the most versatile, giving very good FOV at short ranges and sufficient magnification at ranges out to 300 yards. If low light performance is important to you, I'd look at heavier reticles such as the #4 or HD (Heavy Duplex). I have two Burris FFIIs with #4s and five Leupolds with it as well. I also have perhaps 6 more Leupolds with the heavy duplex reticle. In very low light levels and especially if aiming at a dark target (like a hog) the bold reticles are worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The .308 is my personal all around favorite rifle round. But I do want to go to another state where whitetail can be hunted with a rifle and shoot one with my 1951 marlin 30-30.

·
Registered
761 Posts
ill be the odd ball a say go .270! I use 150 gr Winchester SP's. This year alone I dropped 3 good sized deer at 75-100 yards and when I say dropped I mean legs buckled no movement.. .308 is also great for all around either way you'll have a great time.

I would put a Redfield 2-7 on the American good luck with whatever you choose and happy holidays!

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I also say the .270 Winchester for all around hunting(coyotes too). I have a Savage Axis series and love that inexpensive rifle. Flat shooting with 150g ammo will do the job. Look into some of the new scopes being offered from air gun manufacturers, as they are bulletproof and reasonably priced for the occasional shooter. I will say that the rifle you choose might be impacted by availability and cost of ammo. 308 can be had in surplus form for low $ emergency stockpile.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Would stay with either the .308 or .30-06. The '06 can give you a little more punch and range, if necessary, but there are probably more loadings for the .308 and it is a shorter action. I've done a lot of good work with the .308 and never felt undergunnned.

Best of luck and the Ruger American Rifle would be an excellent choice!
Drew

·
Banned
313 Posts
canrt go wrong with anything in north america with 308 (i use my 350 mag on elk and moose). in midle gerogia - where a BIG white tail may be 350 + lbs (in other words - they are sorta middlin down here), hog, coyote, bear - i love the heck out of my mini 30 (just a chopped down 308) - i rarely shoot over 150 yds. light. the wife loves it. no kick for my grand kis. im gonna have to get another so i can use it. oh - sorry - 7.62 (same as 308) but only x 39 - so - yes lain bullet and less powder (much more effective under 150 yds than 223) - also a much much cheaper round if you decide you want to do some shootin - not just huntin (i have 500 acres here)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've stayed with 308 for years because I'm not very adventurous and thinking about changing hurts my brain.
Around here the majority use, 7 08, 308, 270, 3006.
How dead is dead ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so far to all. Looks like the consensus (if there is such a thing) congregates around the .308... though a few local folks have praised the .243 Win. Question: would the .243 be light for a feisty hog, or just right?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So is the Ruger American the way to go? I'm on a tight budget... $200 for a scope is a big add-on. Can you install ghost ring sights for less?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
You may want to consider 30-06, will drop anything in North America. If you are hunting in a wooded area, you may want to consider a .30-30...jmho

·
Banned
370 Posts
I don't understand reasoning behind using a larger round on "X" animal. I have personally killed deer with 69gr SMK .223 and .308 is more than enough. Not picking on you because I have friends who hunt with me and use 35 wheelen, I just think larger rounds make up for lack in trying....or something.

Again just my opinion, I guess if it was Alaska or something would be different, but HOGs....man we can go to the federal reserve and its free to shoot them anytime...I kill them with my 1911...i dunno.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You can easily spend more on optics than the firearm itself, and you generally get what you pay for. I think you could do OK for $200, but it won't be a premium optic.

If you want sort of a "do all" gun, then I don't think a .243 would be a bad choice at all. Sure, a .308 or a .30-06 would work as well, but required? Probably not. I know my brother has downed many a whitetail with his .243. My cousin has downed quite a few with his Colt AR15, .223.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
I vote '06. In my area '06 ammo is more plentiful and available in more varieties than .308. While the 308 and 30-06 are very similar ballistically, with light bullets (125gr) and heavy bullets (220gr) I think the '06 performs just slightly better. Anywhere in between is a dead tie. If you really want to reach out and touch something (800yds+) the .308 is probably a slightly better choice. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts