Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Killed my first deer with one back 1971 or so. Had it zeroed at 100 yards and shot a 2" group. I was quite pleased. It was a really nice weapon. I had a companion .44 Mag Blackhawk with a 10" barrel, too. Sold both of them to a good friend a few years later and have wished a thousand times I still had them.

· Registered
2,096 Posts
My wife uses my (now "her") Ruger 44 semi-auto...Serial # xxx-000018. In the past three months she has dropped dead in its tracks , a 335 lb Missouri Hog...and 4 Whitetail Does...one in MO in Sept. and three here in So Indiana this week. The 44 mag gets the job done.

I have a SS Model 77/44 bolt action. and love it, but have not taken a deer yet this year.

· Registered
110 Posts
I did some trading a while back, and ended up with an early type (tubular mag) carbine. It's the RS model, with the factory peep sight. Looks to be fired very little.

It's been sitting in the safe since. I really need to get it out and shoot it.

· Registered
31 Posts
I bought the 1st carbine back in 1981. Discovered the top of the receiver cracked after maybe 50 rounds sighting in. Sent it back, Ruger sent me a brand new one and it has never been able to group any handload or commercial ammo to date. I bought it for my father who wasn't fond of the Marlin lever action .35 Rem I bought him. Last year I pulled it from the safe and discovered the scope mount holes were not center of rifle. Bought adjustable mounts which centered the scope for sure but the rifle still shoots 75 yard groups between 2.5" to 6.5". Wanted to like it. Ruger said I could return it and get a discount on a 77/44 which I declined.

· Registered
43 Posts
I bought one for my wife to hunt with back in 1980. The trigger pull was so rough and heavy she couldn't hit the target at 20 yards. I talked to a couple of gunsmiths who both refused to touch it. So, with the parts diagram as a guide I managed to smooth the trigger up enough for her to shoot pretty good with it.
The gun has been shot every year with my handloads since 1980 with few problems. So I'd say it is reliable. As long as it's cleaned properly.
After awhile the gun will start jamming and cleaning the chamber will have no effect. The gun must be taken apart so you can clean the gas port in the barrel. All these parts you removed will need cleaning also including the bolt. It can be a job to do this but to keep it running it's neccessary.
The .44 carbine was designed to shoot full magnum 240 grain loads around 1600 fps. you get much slower and you will start to get jams as there is not enough gas for the action to work properly.
I sight in at 50 yards and it will shoot with all shots touching if I control the trigger. So it is pretty accurate too.
And a big plus, it shoots the same ammo as my 7.5" SBH.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.