Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this old beauty up. It may not be accurate, but it sure is pretty.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,636 Posts
Love it!

·
One Star
9,637 Posts
I like it for sure!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Great looking piece of wood. Never cared much for stainless. Still, nice.

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
creedal, nice find!. Being a 184, it is most likely a 1:10 twist barrel. 55gr is probably the best weight (length), but "every Mini is different"...

Shoot it a bit, heat it up, and see how it does before making any expensive mods. Wild reports of serious slinging of rounds are usually greatly exaggerated. As previously mentioned, an Accustrut will straighten that out.

Also, your 184's ejection distance is dependent on a spring in the bolt, rather than the gas force of cycling. A change in design. So reducing the gas port bushing is unlikely to affect your eject distances (if that is even a problem). But it may help in the survival/longevity of a scope - which would need a funky side-mounted rig (which I have and works okay with Blue Loctite). What damages sensitive optics is the forward "recoil" as the op-rod slams into the gas block. Most optics (other than those designed for air-guns and high quality ones) aren't designed for that forward slam.

1911 buffers work well, usually, both at the gas pipe and the rear. Yours likely doesn't have the "slicer/dicer" of the more recent Minis, so simple 1911 buffers should last a long time. They do change the whole nature of the firing experience - for the better! Kinda like driving with tires rather than metal rims...

Congrats. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, so check it out, this one was originally shipped with a folding stock I guess, because the gas block has a side mounted sling loop. This means there is no way to mount an Accu-Strut.

I suppose I could buy a different block lower half -- but not sure I want to do that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
WOO HOO!
You got a rare one there creedal. The side mount sling gas blocks are worth a LOT of cash. A couple sold on eBay for around $350. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
836 Posts
great lookin' gun !
Love it

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
(snip)
1911 buffers work well, usually, both at the gas pipe and the rear. Yours likely doesn't have the "slicer/dicer" of the more recent Minis, so simple 1911 buffers should last a long time. They do change the whole nature of the firing experience - for the better! Kinda like driving with tires rather than metal rims...

Congrats. Keep us posted!
I have a police turn-in from a prison (at least that's what the sales guy told me:rolleyes:) and it looks little used. I tried making two buffers from thick leather and it chewed them up. So, I bought some 1911buffers but I was suddenly hit with a serious health issue and they never got installed. Now, a question for you, RJF. What do you mean by, "the slicer/dicer of the more recent Minis"? I hadn't heard that term before.

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
iron, at the front of the op-rod, the early non-ranch rifles (no scope scallops) had a flat face. Beginning with ranch rifles, the op-rod had a protruding lip at the bottom of the face that stuck out perhaps 1/8". That is the slicer/dicer of which I spake. Here's a pic:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts