Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an older 10/22 at a pawn shop. In checking the numbers, it begins with 120. The Ruger graph shows a skip between 119 and 121. Can anyone tell why this is. Also I bought a TakeDown awhile back. Have not shot it and probably won't. I'm wondering if it is as accurate as the original 10/22 out of the box?

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
First: Welcome to the forum!

Yours is most likely a mid-year manufacture. Your S/N falls right in the middle of 1980-1981. For more specifics, you'll need to call Ruger....

From their website....

The above chart shows the approximate first serial number shipped for the indicated year. This number should be used as a point of reference only. It is not necessarily the very first serial number shipped, but it can be used to determine the approximate year your Ruger firearm was shipped.

Ruger does not produce firearms in serial number order. There are occasions when blocks of serial numbers have been manufactured out of sequence, sometimes years later. Also, within a model family the same serial number prefix may be used to produce a variety of different models, all in the same block of serial numbers. And in some cases, models may be stored for a length of time before they are shipped.

For details on your specific serial number you may contact our Service Departments:
• Rifles, Shotguns, Revolvers: 603-865-2442

·
Registered
793 Posts
I picked up an older 10/22 at a pawn shop. In checking the numbers, it begins with 120. The Ruger graph shows a skip between 119 and 121. Can anyone tell why this is. Also I bought a TakeDown awhile back. Have not shot it and probably won't. I'm wondering if it is as accurate as the original 10/22 out of the box?
There is no skip in serial numbers. The Ruger site only shows the first serial number for each year. The 120 serial number was not a first serial number for any year. This means yours was made in 1980.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Just a little confusion, are saying that you haven't shot the take down or the older model? And if you aren't going to shoot one of them, why not? In my opinion the older gun is not a special firearm just an older one. I would clean it up, lube it and see how well I can shoot it. The take down should be just as accurate as any standard model. Not shooting it would be like buying a watch and never wearing it.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Welcome to the site..and nice find!

·
Registered
17,040 Posts
I'd shoot em both. Welcome from up in the Panhandle.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum from southern Arizona.

Nice catch on the older 10/22, and on your TD.
My TD was certainly accurate right out of the box, tho I can't compare to other models since it was my first 10/22.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts