Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Ruger 10/22 back in 84 when I was out in California. If I found out I had 300 rounds through it I would be surprised that the number was so high. Not sure why I haven't fired it more, but it just sits in my closet for the most part.

It does have some rust on the outside of the barrel, but most of that came off when I cleaned it a few months ago. Someone was telling me that the older models were made differently and are actually a better?? gun.

My question I guess is: Is there any truth to that? and if so, is it worth more than what the newer ones are going for at this time? Not sure I'm really wanting to sell it, but it does just sit there so...... Maybe I could trade it and one other in on a new .22 mag or something. ;)

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I purchased a Ruger 10/22 back in 84 when I was out in California. If I found out I had 300 rounds through it I would be surprised that the number was so high. Not sure why I haven't fired it more, but it just sits in my closet for the most part.

It does have some rust on the outside of the barrel, but most of that came off when I cleaned it a few months ago. Someone was telling me that the older models were made differently and are actually a better?? gun.

My question I guess is: Is there any truth to that? and if so, is it worth more than what the newer ones are going for at this time? Not sure I'm really wanting to sell it, but it does just sit there so...... Maybe I could trade it and one other in on a new .22 mag or something. ;)
I'm not a collector, but I find it hard to believe anything they made 6 million of is worth much more than you payed for it.

Also, in the big scheme of things, 1984 is not that old, seeing how they have been continuously produced since, I believe, 1964.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I didn't think it would be - if anything there might be more metal in it than plastic. Haven't looked at the new ones lately.

Was just curious though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just saw about 10 of them sell on a auction site, some were from the 80s and sold for around $170 each.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts

The 10/22 originally had a walnut stock, metal barrel band, butt plate and trigger guard. Over time, the stock was changed to hardwood, and the barrel band, butt plate and trigger assembly all became polymer.

The new ones work just as good as the older ones. For some folks, the walnut and metal ones are more desirable, mostly for aesthetic reasons. Ruger has made millions of 10/22's, though, so they're far from rare.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 10/22 originally had a walnut stock, metal barrel band, butt plate and trigger guard. Over time, the stock was changed to hardwood, and the barrel band, butt plate and trigger assembly all became polymer.

The new ones work just as good as the older ones. For some folks, the walnut and metal ones are more desirable, mostly for aesthetic reasons. Ruger has made millions of 10/22's, though, so they're far from rare.
Guess I'll have to take a ride to the gun shop and see what I get offered for it. I would rather have something I would use than something that just sits there taking up space and collecting dust.... :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
You can always list it here for sale in the classified section.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
My 1982 one cost me about $59 back then new. It would be worth whatever any new 10/22 is worth used based on shape.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 1982 one cost me about $59 back then new. It would be worth whatever any new 10/22 is worth used based on shape.
$59? Hmmmm, not sure what I actually paid for it, but I seem to remember somewhere north of $150.

Here's a picture of it:

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was looking around at gun brokers site - lol, the original manuals are going for $12-$25 weird.. Guess they are becoming collectors items?

I still have my original manual, a little brown from age, but all the pages are in tact.

It is a Walnut stock.

Interesting on pg. 15 of the manual it says:

The standard stock assembly (B-99R) is walnut and is sold only on an exchange basis. That is, the "old" stock, must accompany the payment and order for a new B-99R stock. Price is $60.25.

Wonder why that was a requirement.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Was looking around at gun brokers site - lol, the original manuals are going for $12-$25 weird.. Guess they are becoming collectors items?

I still have my original manual, a little brown from age, but all the pages are in tact.

It is a Walnut stock.

Interesting on pg. 15 of the manual it says:

The standard stock assembly (B-99R) is walnut and is sold only on an exchange basis. That is, the "old" stock, must accompany the payment and order for a new B-99R stock. Price is $60.25.

Wonder why that was a requirement.

I think by the early 80's the stocks like you have were walnut stained birch. To get a walnut stock from Ruger, you had to send a walnut stock in, otherwise you would get a birch stock. Your picture is identical to my 10/22 from then. My stock is in the box, because I put mine in a folding Ram Line stock right after I bought it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think by the early 80's the stocks like you have were walnut stained birch. To get a walnut stock from Ruger, you had to send a walnut stock in, otherwise you would get a birch stock. Your picture is identical to my 10/22 from then. My stock is in the box, because I put mine in a folding Ram Line stock right after I bought it.
I did the same thing, still have the wood stock tucked away, times have sure changed, I found mine at a yard sale for $40......... :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 1022 and its walnut stocked but it don't have a barrel band.brass bead front sight and buckhorn rear, small magazine release lever.I got it 3 years ago at a gun store, traded a taurus clone of winchester 63 that never worked right.straight across trade, it was priced on shelf for $175 and has owners manual.best trade I made in a while

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I held on to mine when I made my trade. I think I will look into fixing it up a bit, maybe redoing the bluing on the barrel and getting it function checked by someone more qualified than I. Just hang on to it for a while then pass it down to my son.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
I just recently picked up a 10-22 carbine(s/n 114-XXXXX 1975 vintage) for $175. No rust, but very dirty. Did a thorough cleaning, removing bolt , recoil spring, degreased the trigger assembly. Bore is perfect, I think it was carried more than fired. The Walnut stock is in very good shape, with only a very few minor scratches.
This is my second 10-22 as I have a 10-22T that I used for NRA small bore silouette competition. I had never really took one down to bare bones before. This little rifle was a true work of genius, and the more I play with it, the more I want to fool around with it.
I'm wondering when the stocks went from Walnut to Birch, and butt plates from steel to plastic . I may pick up a couple more to play with, as my grandsons are just old enough to enjoy them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts