Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hoping someone here might have some info regarding older tang safety M77’s.

I’m trying to learn about the variations between M77’s from this era. I’d like to have a better understanding of the specific models that existed, such as M77 RS (with sights) and other model variations. One of the primary pieces of information I’m looking for, is if any of these tang safety versions were manufactured without sights, and chambered in .35 Whelen.

Any bits and pieces of information are of use to me. Likewise, if someone knows of an alternate place where I might find some answers …perhaps some suggested reading that would make a good reference?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hi Don, I'll take a stab at trying to help. I'm no expert but I did check the book "Ruger & His Guns" by R. L. Wilson and the M77 is covered in limited detail. Introduced in 1968 with serial prefixes through 1992. Total made: over 1,087,000. This book does not list the .35 Whelen as a caliber offered nor does .35 Whelen appear in the table of markings for the M77. That being said, it seems Ruger often did unusal or non-standard things by request or for some reason so there's still the possibility of the existence of an M77 in .35 Whelen, just not as likely as other short and long action calibers.

77R: Standard rifle, no sights, receiver machined for Ruger scope rings, both action lengths.

77RS: With iron sights and receiver machined for Ruger scope rings, both action lengths, including .458 inchester Magnum.

77RSC: Primarily .458 Winchester Magnum and a few .416 Taylor, Magnum Action, Ruger scope rings, 24" heavy barrel. Circassian walnut, etc. (lengthy description follows...)

77RSI: International model, with Mannlicher style stock; 18 1/2" barrel, with scope rings and iron sights.

77S: With iron sights, scope rings not provided.

77ST: Round top receiver, drilled and tapped for screw-on mount scope bases (e.g. Weaver or Redfield); with iron sights. Known as the Round Top Model.

77V: Varmint rifle, no sights, receiver machined for scope rings, heavy 24" barrel. Drilled and tapped for target scope blocks. Intended primarily for silhouette shooting.

77PL: Round top receiver, without iron sights.

There are other subtle variations of interest to collectors pertaining to things like round or squared forend, wide or narrow forend, non-warning guns, etc.

A new M77R cost $160 in 1969. (sigh)

Hope this info helps. Good luck on your quest for a classic M77.

Wave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Waveform. Indeed your information provided some fo what I was looking for. I can never remember what most of the variations of M77's are, so having this list helps greatly. When I was reading your post, I kept nodding my head to much of it, thinking... "Yep! I remember now."

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Thanks for the help Waveform. Indeed your information provided some fo what I was looking for. I can never remember what most of the variations of M77's are, so having this list helps greatly. When I was reading your post, I kept nodding my head to much of it, thinking... "Yep! I remember now."
Don, glad it was some help. The only Ruger book I have is the one I mentioned and it's a pretty good one. But it's not a complete catalog of all Ruger firearms ever made. There is a table with serial numbers but you can also get that on Ruger's website, as you probably already know. Sounds like you're looking for an M77R in .35 Whelen and that may be tough to find. Have you seen one or heard of one in that caliber or are you just hoping it exists?

Wave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don, glad it was some help. The only Ruger book I have is the one I mentioned and it's a pretty good one. But it's not a complete catalog of all Ruger firearms ever made. There is a table with serial numbers but you can also get that on Ruger's website, as you probably already know. Sounds like you're looking for an M77R in .35 Whelen and that may be tough to find. Have you seen one or heard of one in that caliber or are you just hoping it exists?

Wave
I have a vague recollection that I've come across a M77R in .35 Whelen in past years. However, I'm not completely sure anymore, and hence my post.

I keep telling myself that I need to listen to that inner voice. When I see an out of production rifle that I'd like, I need to buy it at that time. Regardless, if I'm not completely sure, or if the money isn't there, I have to pass. Some time down the road, I usually regret those decisions. I can tell you that there's a story related to that about a Winchester M88. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts