Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Civilian
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about locking threads older then 3 years old to new comments?
I get tired of opening a thread after seeing title only to realize any links or info is probably out of date.

·
Super Moderator
21,354 Posts
I think the problem for the most of the exhumed threads is the recommended reading that is posted below a thread many are necro threads that the system picks up similar words in the title. We do have some threads that have remained active for a decade so closing all of them would close them as well.

Reactions: gunjunkie

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I'd think unless there's a link for a specific sale , the info provided is going to be pertinent still. How many are still that active that it'd be "tiring" ?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I make it a habit now to look at the date posted ... if it's a post from years ago I might go to the latest post and see if it's an update going on or simply move on to another ...more recent ...posting . Looking at the date the thread was started becomes second nature very quickly and eliminates reading something from years ago .
Gary

·
Registered
43 Posts
I tend to deal with a lot of stuff that is out of production, with sketchy histories and information, and a lot of things that people forgot. Like Ruger P Series pistols. For me, a dead link is a lot better than no information at all. And an opportunity to use the internet wayback machine (archive.org) to find the information that was there originally, if I am lucky.

All of those older threads are a priceless source of information.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Gary nailed it - you just have to look at the thread a little more carefully before adding a comment. This would happen before on the old platform too but this new "Recommended Reading" feature does seem to resurrect a lot more zombie threads. Sometimes I enjoy just seeing old members posts who have dropped away or in a few cases passed away. There's good info in some of the threads too. But the direct replies to the OP from years ago is probably not getting through.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Generally, I like old threads, I am old, most of my stuff is old, frequently they remind me of things that I knew, or should have once upon a time.

To me the current revival of necro-threads is solidly based upon the "Recommended Reading" feature (i hate to call it that because to me a 'feature' should be something good).

While I am training myself to look at the original posting date of a thread before viewing a thread, that does not eliminate opening many wasted efforts because you still don't know if the thread died a natural death long ago and was brought back by one, now out of date reply or if it is a thread which has been in continuous 'use' for years.

Other than seeing a "Where do I find ammo" thread and seeing that it began in 2009, you really don't know what you are getting in to.

The way in which "Recommended Reading" comes up with it's 'recommendations' seems to be only slightly more accurate than Amazon recommendations where if you look once at a screw they try to sell you every part of a house. Narrowing that down could perhaps help, as could maybe reminding NEW members (I know, it isn't ALWAYS them) to look at the date of the latest post in the thread that they are replying to before pushing the "Post Reply" button.

Does everyone receive the same recommendations after looking at a thread? I have no idea if the recommendations are tailored to the reader or just based upon some 'key' words in the thread viewed.
Under this one I see:
"Old threads" - last updated 2013
"Really old threads" - last updated 2009
"Make old threads read only" - last updated 2010
"Closing a thread" - last updated 3 mo ago
"Out Dated Pages" - last updated 2015

I think we have a pattern here!

Bruce

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,967 Posts
I can see both sides. On one hand, old threads are indeed a goldmine of information. So, I think the "Recommended Reading" list at the bottom of the new page view is really useful. It probably keeps people from asking the same questions over and over.

On the other hand, it also gets really annoying to see people (usually brand new members) "reply" to someone who hasn't posted for years. I'm waiting for the sad day when some knucklehead replies and gives "advice" to one of our dearly departed RF members who has passed away.

If the software could be tweaked, I think the perfect solution would be to have a banner come up when someone is replying to an post over "X" number of months, and the mods could set "X" as whatever they want. Right now the forum pops up a warning banner if "new posts" have been submitted since I started typing a reply. If the software is sophisticated enough to do that, it should possible to code it to say something like, "You are replying to a thread that has been inactive for more than twelve months. You may wish to consider starting a new conversation."

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,772 Posts
The biggest thing for me and the quick fix for myself is to look at the damn date!
Speaking for myself I still sometimes go too fast and fail to check out the origin date and whether the response reflects any valid historical and or current content. Some threads reflect historical information with important updates as the subject evolves.
*Some of these old threads are worth their weight in gold for me on this forum. I still spend time searching for information on the archived threads and just love it.

Reactions: FeralCatKillr

·
Registered
488 Posts
I can see both sides. On one hand, old threads are indeed a goldmine of information. So, I think the "Recommended Reading" list at the bottom of the new page view is really useful. It probably keeps people from asking the same questions over and over.

On the other hand, it also gets really annoying to see people (usually brand new members) "reply" to someone who hasn't posted for years. I'm waiting for the sad day when some knucklehead replies and gives "advice" to one of our dearly departed RF members who has passed away.

If the software could be tweaked, I think the perfect solution would be to have a banner come up when someone is replying to an post over "X" number of months, and the mods could set "X" as whatever they want. Right now the forum pops up a warning banner if "new posts" have been submitted since I started typing a reply. If the software is sophisticated enough to do that, it should possible to code it to say something like, "You are replying to a thread that has been inactive for more than twelve months. You may wish to consider starting a new conversation."

I really want to "Triple Like" this. There are indeed old threads that are gold mines of information. There are also old threads which have been 'active' for years (and there is no way of knowing that without sometimes going through pages of old responses). The ones that need to be 'trimmed from the heard' are the ones where the question was answered long ago and someone (usually) new here dredges it back from the dead, adding to nothing except their 'post count'.
A 'Warning Banner' that you are answering a 'necro-thread' could probably head off a great many of those.

Bruce

·
Civilian
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Old post links
I never said get rid of them. And as you can see this subject has been broached before.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts