Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by a friend's house yesterday and he pulls out a original OM bearcat with the brass frame, serial number was 45XX. It had a little wear around the muzzle and some surface rust on the cylinder but not bad considering that he picked it up in lieu of $200 a guy owed him. Can't say I blame him but he wouldn't sell it to me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have one. I paid $49.50 OTD for it in 1964, it was my first revolver and the first gun I ever bought for my self. It will never be sold...........robin

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I buy a lot of new production guns but I have a huge fondness for the old stuff. There's soo many cool guns that are no longer produced that I wish I would have been alive at the time to have bought em new.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I was alive back then and the cost of new guns was just as insurmountable then as new guns are now.

But in hindsight, I would have gone in debt to buy more guns knowing what I know now about which guns to buy, if I was back in that time again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was alive back then and the cost of new guns was just as insurmountable then as new guns are now.

But in hindsight, I would have gone in debt to buy more guns knowing what I know now about which guns to buy, if I was back in that time again.
Man, do I agree with THAT! Well said. My little Bearcat was expensive (to me, in 1970), but I wish that I had bought 6 of them. Imagine what they would bring NIB now? :eek:
Same as above with the .30 cal M1 Carbine that I boought at the saem time from the same Big 5 store in Pasadena, CA. Wow! For an old guy, my memory is still pretty good.

Where you from, Hondo44?

·
Registered
767 Posts
I recognize the passion, bu its one of those guns that I've never regretted selling. Just too hard to get my big mitt to work with that tiny trigger guard.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I recognize the passion, bu its one of those guns that I've never regretted selling. Just too hard to get my big mitt to work with that tiny trigger guard.
My hands are most likely less big than yours- I never found the small size of my Bearcat to be a problem, and instead an advantage and carried it everywhere on hikes in the mountains and deserts. So small I never knew it was there until needed for snakes, etc.

The Ruger Bearcat is a "kt gun"- so called because 19th. century miners carried small revolvers in their "lunch kits (lunch boxes)" for use in case of personal conflicts down in the mines. :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Love my old Bearcat, serial no. starts with F. Grip a little small but I still can shoot it and out to 15 yds. very accurate for me.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I always wanted one when I was a kid but my dad found a Single Six and that was the first handgun I shot when I was 6. I sort of had large hands. Flash forward and when Ruger reintroduced them I bought one in SS. I ordered it and while waiting went to a gun show where a collector had one LNIB. I bought it. It was just about the same price as the new one I had ordered, $325. Still have them both both they are a little too small for my hands now. I have shot both of them however.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Yes, if we knew then what we know now.... I remember looking at a brand-new 1966 Impala coupe, and for less than $300 more the dealer would have sold me a four-speed Super Sport. Sadly, I bought neither. Same thing with guns. Who knew?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts