Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd like to start off saying this is all Hondo 44's fault, every bit of it!
I was perfectly content with my old well worn Single Six as it was...until I saw the pics of his OM SS with short barrel and a birdshead grip! That was it, I just had to have one like it.

So my old faithful was completely stripped. The barrel was sent off to a machine shop to be shortened from the original 5 1/2 inches to a handier 4 3/4. I acquired a NM steel birdshead grip frame from Ruger and fitted it to the old three screw frame. I made and installed an adapter block to hold the OM trigger return spring while I was at it. The original alloy ejector housing was replaced by a steel part and a curved head ejector rod from a Vaquero replaced the original button head rod
The spur was removed from the original hammer and reworked to a bisley style hammer. The hammer and trigger sear were then both worked over with a fine arkansas stone to assure a crisp trigger release and a set of Wolff springs were installed. I also picked up a .22 mag cylinder for it as well.

I made a set of new grips for the birdshead grip frame from American holly with OM grip medallions installed.
I also did the engraving on it as well. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Now all that remains is a range test to see if my old companion is still as accurte as it was before.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Awesome!

I would love to have a birds head grip on my 3 screw SS.

Was there much machining/grinding/filing required to mount it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome!

I would love to have a birds head grip on my 3 screw SS.

Was there much machining/grinding/filing required to mount it?

To answer your question, there is a degree of handfitting involved, but the only machine work was fabricating the aluminum block to hold the trigger return spring. And that was only a drill pres and vise to keep the hole true. I'm sure someone has covered that subject somewhere in the archives of this forum. In fact, I believe that's where I got the information to fab mine.

I did a post on this several months back on the handfitting process of putting a stainless SBH Hunter grip frame on my New Vaquero. Its the same process, except fitting the NM birdshead on the OM SS is not quite as labor intensive.
Good Luck. If I can be of any further help, drop me a PM.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
If it shoots half as good as it looks you have a winner. I'm thoroughly impressed.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Just beautiful..

If you did the very well done engraving you must have needed to re-blue the piece. Did you send it out for bluing ? If you did it yourself, what did you use ? I'm interested because that looks factory.

Thanks for sharing.

Don't forget to post pics in the Ruger Forum Birdshead Owner's Club, picture gallery.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts