Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderators, I wasn't sure which forum to use. Hope this one's OK...

Hey All,
I'm contemplating on placing an on-line order for a Ruger pistol from "The Sportsman Outdoor Superstore".

Has anybody had any dealings with them? Was your experience a good one?

I'd like to hear your inputs before I commit.

Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey All, me again...
Well I answered my own question. I contacted "The Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore",(SOS), today to inquire about purchasing an SR1911 On-Line from them. The Customer Service Rep.and her boss, the CS Manager, could not have been more helpful, courteous and/or accommadating!

SOS has several SR1911's in stock and now they have one less! :D They will be shipping a copy to my LGS by next Tuesday. So I should be picking it up around the Thursday or Friday time frame. I'm paying $699. for it, plus $30 FFL fee to my LGS. I'm OK with that price.

I had one on order from my LGS since last May, with a price tag of $659. plus 7% Georgia sales tax = $705. I spoke to him before hand about me possibly ordering from SOS as I didn't feel like waiting indefinatly for the gun to arrive. I felt I could help myself speed up the acquisition. My LGS contacted his main distributor and the distributor told him to tell me to do it as he could not see any SR1911's coming this way anytime soon. So BINGO!, with no hard feelings from my LGS.

So I highly recommend SOS as an excellent resource for On-Line gun purchases. I was very pleased with their service and product knowledge.
I give a "thumbs up"! ;)

I'll let ya's know what date is on the test casing, serial number and what color dot it has...

Now it's gonna be a long week for me. But at least now I know it's just a week away, not three more month's, six more month's, ????? months, etc. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have had a couple of good experiences with them as well and they are sometimes cheapest price wise too.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would think you still have to pay sales tax also, so $777.93? :confused:
Well I thought so too, but from what I've been told, it's my understanding that there is no sales tax on internet purchases...(???)

So my cost here is $699 for the gun plus $30 FFL fee to my LGS = $729 OTD...

Had I continued to wait for my ordered SR1911 to come in my cost would of been $659 LGS price plus 7% Ga. sales tax $47 = $706 OTD

So "For A Few Dollars More", (loved that movie), $23 to be exact I'm getting an SR1911 next week instead of ??????????

Sounds like an alright deal to me, I'll take it :D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well I thought so too, but from what I've been told, it's my understanding that there is no sales tax on internet purchases...(???)
Probably wasn't a tax accountant or someone from your state's revenue department that told you that.

Legally, internet sales are subject to sales tax in your home state.
The states (yes, all of them) are trying to figure out how to make sure they get "their fair share".

For now, it's an "honor system" kind of affair where you pay sales taxes on internet sales with your state income taxes. At least that is the case in most states that have state income taxes.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
From my experience and there's been more that a few. You pay who you're getting it from. They don't charge sales tax because it's an out of state sale. Your local dealer doesn't collect sales tax because all he's doing is a transfer. You are not paying him for the gun. He might charge sales tax on his transfer fee. He has nothing to do with selling you the gun. Same with buying from shooting suppliers or most anything you get from out of state. One exception, Say you buy from BassPro and they have a store in your state then yes you have to pay sales tax.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congratulations on getting a SR1911! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

While I really do love all five of my handguns, the Ruger SR1911 is my favorite firearm. If I had to sell all my guns, it absolutely would be the last to go.

What do I like about the SR1911?
The 1911 format in general.
The superb Ruger craftsmanship and build quality.
The excellent smooth trigger pull.
The glasslike break of the trigger.
The superb accuracy from a wide range of distances.
The modest price in comparison to the competition.
The natural feel of its grip.
The natural ease of sighting in a target.
The dependability of its mechanical action.
The artistic beauty of its finish work.
The excellent Ruger customer service.

I don't think there is a better 1911 for the price. You can spend a lot more money and still not get the quality found in an SR1911. When I watch TV, I often leave the SR911 on the coffee table in an open case, just so I can admire its beauty.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
congrats! i've been thinking about various purchases, and thinking about the online possibilities. hadn't heard of sportsman's outdoor superstore. i'll definitely be looking them up.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Congrats on the SR! Seems like a fine pistol. My LGS got one and the gunsmith working there bought it before it ever hit the shelf. He did let me fondle it for a few minutes, though. :)

As far as sales tax is concerned, you don't pay sales tax on online purchases unless you're purchasing from a place in your own state (ie, I live in SC so if I purchase online from Palmetto State Armory, I pay sales tax). I do quite a bit of shopping with Amazon.com. I have a Prime membership and I get Second Day Air on all Prime eligible items for free. I can get $3.99 overnight shipping on any item (I once ordered a 46" Samsung TV on Friday morning and FedEx delivered it Saturday morning at 9:30 and I only paid $3.99 for it!) Each year, I get a statement from Amazon showing my purchases so that I have the option to pay the sales tax on it when I do my taxes. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ummm. No. The reason I buy so much from them is because their prices are better than anyone in town, plus I get free shipping and pay no sales tax. I bought a Bushnell Red Dot from them recently. My LGS had one for $109 plus tax. I got it for $82 shipped and no tax. Saved $36 which is more than enough for a brick of .22LR.

Anyway, as far as sales tax on online purchases goes, you're not obligated to pay it. Technically, your LGS can't charge sales tax on the transfer because it's labor and you cannot charge sales tax on labor. Enjoy the discount and enjoy the new pistol.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much everyone on your well wishes on my new SR1911 which should be arriving the middle of this week. I've been looking at this gun since August 2011, finally made my mind up and originally ordered one last May from my LGS and the rest is history. :)

As for the sales tax issue, I know there's nothing free in life, especially paying taxes, (of any sort), however the SR1911 is an out of state internet purchase. Are there hidden costs integrated within this buy or will it be a receive it now, pay me later deal..aka sales taxes? I can't see the taxman missing out anywhere...:confused:

Thanks again!

·
Ironhat
287 Posts
I just received an announcement last week that Amazon will be charging PA sales tax since it has a presence in the state. I believe that there is a warehouse along the I-81 north/south corridor.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
As for the sales tax issue, I know there's nothing free in life, especially paying taxes, (of any sort), however the SR1911 is an out of state internet purchase. Are there hidden costs integrated within this buy or will it be a receive it now, pay me later deal..aka sales taxes? I can't see the taxman missing out anywhere...:confused:

Thanks again!
When you file your taxes, you have the option to pay sales tax on any out-of-state purchases you've made throughout the year. Currently, there is no law making you pay it. It's an honor system. Personally, I think I'm taxed enough and don't care to pay additional taxes and certainly won't do so willingly.

This is a big problem with online shopping. All of the "local" shops are complaining that Amazon and Ebay are killing their business because people don't have to pay sales tax (which is a better deal, especially if you get free shipping on top of it). My wife and I spent just under $5000 with Amazon.com last year and didn't pay a penny in sales tax on any of it. Tax here is 8.5%, I think, which is $425 on $5000. That's a significant discount.

I'm not paying it if I don't have to.

Whatever you paid for your SR, is what paid for it. No taxes or fees (other than a transfer fee) apply. Enjoy the gun AND the discount! :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
It's the honor system with sales tax and internet purchases...If you were to have walked into Sportsmans Outdoors and purchased it, they'd have tacked on sales tax.

Some states have a sales tax, some don't...also sales tax varies from state to state. If a transaction crosses state lines which tax rate gets applied?...both? LOL

Taxing internet sales is a catch 22...

Anyway congrats and enjoy your SR1911...

·
Registered
567 Posts
JK55,
Go online to the Georgia Dept. of Revenue, they are the ones that deal with this. Check Sales Tax and see what is actually said about internet or out of state sales tax. Also, it may be called some other name like Use Tax, it is the tax that is owed when making out of state purchases. People may think that they are "voluntary" taxes but you really need to check the tax code itself to make sure.

Go here and read page 2.

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/salestax/st3forms/TSD_Consumers_Use_Tax_Return_Form_ST3USE.pdf

This does not look like a voluntary tax to me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
its not voluntary but you are on an honor system. no one will know unless you get audited by the state. they don't have resources to track that stuff just for the hell of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts