Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to avoid going to San Francisco for fear of getting stuck there when the Big One hits the liberals and I become collateral damage :D

Yesterday was an exception. For the price of one concert ticket, I got to see four classic rock acts (in order of appearance, or importance?): The Doobie Brothers, Steve Miller Band, Santana, and Journey. The opening act wasn't shabby either, depending on one's music taste: Tower of Power.

Some observations: There were lots of kids in the audience, in their late teens or early twenties, who are quite famliar with the Doobie's hits.
I've never seen Steve Miller live before, not even on youtube, and I was impressed by his stage presence. I thought Fly Like An Eagle would be the highlight of his performance but Swingtown and the finale, The Joker, received the best response from the audience.
Santana turned the night into a huge party. Some videos showing what looked like anti-war clips were a bit distracting though.

Journey opened with Separate Ways and made it clear that they're not messing around. They're going to rock!
Neal Schon played The Star-Spangled Banner and it was heartwarming to see (as far as I can see) everyone stood up. I'm sure Kaepernick wasn't in the audience.

Tower of Power started at 3pm, Doobie at 4:30pm, Steve Miller at 6pm, and Santana at 7:30pm. Journey rocked harder than all the other acts before them but when they appeared onstage at 9:30pm, I already felt like a cellphone with a drained battery, especially after Santana's energetic set.
Note to self: Watch Journey again but at an earlier time slot.
Trivia: Day on the Green was a recurring concert in Oakland, California, presented by promoter Bill Graham and his company Bill Graham Presents. Held at the Oakland Coliseum, these events began in 1973 and continued into the early 1990s. The last Day on the Green overseen by Graham took place the same month as his death in a helicopter crash in 1991. There was a series of Day on the Green shows the following year in the wake of Graham's death, but no more have been promoted since then. There were other shows in 1994-97 at the Oakland Coliseum Stadium - namely U2, Pink Floyd, and the Rolling Stones -but these were not a "Day On The Green" by definition because they occurred at night and also because Bill Graham had passed so "Day on the Green" had become a thing of the past.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
The only real problem with San Fran is the weather is always terrible there. No matter what season it is, it's always cold and windy. Shame because it really is a beautiful city with some pretty awesome history, but like I said the weather ruins it.

Fun fact, I actually am friends with Carlos Santana in real life and have him in my contacts on my phone.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
That sounds like quite a show. As a 70s kid I know that music and would have liked it but I would have been with you at the end with the drained battery feeling. I might have been drained about halfway through even...

Geezer rock lives on. My teenage son seems to like it. Or at least he doesn't seem to mind it if I have it on the radio. Good to hear the old bands are still touring even though some of those guys have to be in their 70s now.

How many original members were still in the bands? I assume Steve Miller was fronting his band as was Carlos Santana and Michael McDonald but any idea if there other were original members?

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I know all those groups as I turned 18 in 1974 but I went thru the entire 1970s without buying a record 8 track or a cassette. Those younger forum members 8 tracks were a variation of a casette tape but larger. CDs did not come into commercial use untilt he early 80s.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maser - I forgot to bring a sweater but the evening temperature is still bearable this time of the year.

Waveform - The Doobie Brothers still have original guitarists/vocalists Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons so the sound is still pretty much there. Michael McDonald wasn't in the lineup though.
You're right about Steve Miller and Santana fronting their band. They both do a fine job of surrounding themselves with talented musicians.
Journey is pretty much intact, only the vocalist Arnel Pineda isn't connected to their late 70s-early 80s success.
The four bands maybe retiring soon but my kids (23 and 19) are familiar with their music.

bwinters - I was born in 1968 but grew up with my cousins who were at least six years older than me. So, their music choice in the 70s heavily influenced me.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Hard to imagine the Doobie Brothers sound without Michael McDonald. Very cool nonetheless. Funny how the music of our teenage years becomes our music. I like a lot of music - jazz, bluegrass, classical - but rock/pop 70s music brings back a lot of memories. If I'm driving in a car with Sirius/XM I seem to end up with the 70s on 7 channel.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the 3-cd Doobie greatest hits and noticed that a good number of my favorites became hits before McDonald joined the group for Takin' In To The Streets in 76. It does sound a bit weird when the band plays Michael's songs without him.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I have the 3-cd Doobie greatest hits and noticed that a good number of my favorites became hits before McDonald joined the group for Takin' In To The Streets in 76. It does sound a bit weird when the band plays Michael's songs without him.
That explains it - my high school years were 1977 - 1980 so the Doobie sound with Michael McDonald is what sounds "right" to me. I never bought any records (or 8 tracks) back then, only listened to top 40 radio.

I kept up with pop/rock through the 1980s and somewhat through the 1990s but lost touch in the 2000s. I guess that's part of getting older. "You crazy kids and your dang music! Now get off my lawn!"

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great lineup but I wouldn't recommend the marathon-like schedule to anyone.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Where was this? What venue I mean?

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I was born in 66. We loved Steve Miller Band. I still listen to him, but never had the chance to see him in concert. Sounds like he put on a good show. :)

For whatever reason, we never really listened to any of the other three.

Glad you enjoyed the concert. :)

·
VRWC Charter Member
2,014 Posts
Graduated HS in 1973. Music of the late '60s & through the '70s seems to be the best to me. Chicago, Grand Funk Railroad, Stevie Miller Band, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Tommy James, Led Zeppelin, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Yes, Three Dog Night, Steppenwolf, REO Speedwagon, Pink Floyd, Iron Butterfly, and many, many more were to be found in my and my brother's collection of LP's and 8 tracks.

Saw BTO, Doobie Brothers, Sha Na Na and Steppenwolf in concert all in the summer of '74. As I recall, the lead-in band for Steppenwolf was REO Speedwagon.

Good memories. :)

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where was this? What venue I mean?
AT&T Park, the home of the SF Giants.
Trivia: During Giants games, Journey's Lights is played in every game but last Sunday was the first time it was played live in the stadium.
I was born in 66. We loved Steve Miller Band. I still listen to him, but never had the chance to see him in concert. Sounds like he put on a good show. :)

For whatever reason, we never really listened to any of the other three.

Glad you enjoyed the concert. :)
Yeah Steve put on a good show. If I were to rank the performers that night, he's my no. 1.
Graduated HS in 1973. Music of the late '60s & through the '70s seems to be the best to me. Chicago, Grand Funk Railroad, Stevie Miller Band, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Tommy James, Led Zeppelin, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Yes, Three Dog Night, Steppenwolf, REO Speedwagon, Pink Floyd, Iron Butterfly, and many, many more were to be found in my and my brother's collection of LP's and 8 tracks.

Saw BTO, Doobie Brothers, Sha Na Na and Steppenwolf in concert all in the summer of '74. As I recall, the lead-in band for Steppenwolf was REO Speedwagon.

Good memories. :)
Most of the bands you mentioned, I have their songs on MP3. Chicago was probably my earliest and Three Dog Night the most recent discovery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts