Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Man I am getting old lol I posted the same question twice :O

After a lot of reading reviews on the PC9 I decided I want one so the hunt is on :) It will go nice with a 10/22 :) Both will be a retirement gift to me from Me :) Who has a PC9 ? Pros cons in your eyes :)

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I have the PC9 and PC4.
Pros:
Fun guns to shoot!
Very handy carbines.
Would make an excellent choice for a home defense gun.
Conversation starter at the range.
Uses P-Series magazines.
Optics can be mounted using standard Ruger scope rings.

Cons:
Mile long trigger pull that a Clydesdale would struggle with.
Complicated bolt lock/trigger mechanism that is embedded in the stock which makes a "trigger job" difficult. There are people who do them though, you have to send the whole stock in.
Uses P-Series magazines which are quickly becoming obsolete, although Ruger still produces them and high cap aftermarket mags are available.
Optics other than scopes require a Ruger scope ring adapter.

I recommend you get one, despite the cons I've listed. You'll thank yourself when you find one.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Never owned but did get to shoot one a few years ago. It was fun. And I remember it was pretty accurate out to 20-25 yds. Very nice rifle. Had the same sort of heft and feel of the mini14, but somewhat different design. Used the same mags from the Ruger P series pistols. If you end up getting one you might as well get one of those pistol to go with it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Anything I can learn is a good thing and I may change tracks to a different 9mm :)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I owned one for a while, and they are solid, reliable guns. The con side is that they are really kind of heavy for a 9mm carbine, they are a little tricky to field strip, and as Ruger no longer makes them, if you need a part your are SOL. And with all things Ruger quits making, if you find one you will pay dearly for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I picked up a month or so ago. . . Love it!! It really tearing it up against more expensive ar9 style guns at USPSA shoots around here. Can wait to hit Area 2 with it!!

Power Custom sear adjustable “RJ” trigger ( you have to call and order, you’ll need the 10/22 disconnector to go with it! ) ask for Randal Power, he’ll know how to ship it comple. It’s their 10/22 competition trigger. 2lbs, no pre or post travel. CRISP!!

Taccom butt PC9 kit, no comp for me.

Vortex Venom 6moa dot.

Love this thing!! Make sure your barrel nut is tightened about 2 extra clicks!! Have fun!!

Have some load data for it too if y’all need some. Tested 5 different weights at about 4 different speeds to find the sweet spot for me!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Only twice ??!!;) Not only have I duplicated posts on several forms, but I've actually posted a reply to my original post ( on the S&W forum a couple years back--still hearing about it) :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts