Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my GP100 to the range today, first time in many weeks I've had time to do so.

Just for fun, and 'cause I saw the guy next to me doing it, I decided to try to shoot with one hand. I've never done that before!

It is hard.

I'll take a picture of the target later and post it, they all hit the paper at 10 yards, but it ain't pretty.

The guy next to me looked like a military type and shot like it too. One hand, 7 yards, entire clip in maybe a silver dollar group. Cool.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
You want to try something even harder, shoot it one handed in your weak hand. Very humbling.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HAH! I actually thought about doing that with my last cylinder, but was worried someone might be watching me!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Us fossils learned to shoot that way...leaving one hand to hold the flashlight out away from us, our coffee, or whatever...it's really not hard, but good grips make the difference...that's why I love Packys so much...they don't move around even when sweaty...one of the best pistoleros ever, Bill Jordan, carried a set of Herrets that had every bit of the checkering sanded off...they were slick as glass...go figure...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have much experience to compare to, but that GP100 grip feels very secure. Granted, I was shooting .38, and I am betting I'll notice the grip a little more when I try .357 one handed!

Sheepdog, I can picture you keeping an armed intruder at bay with your pistol in one hand and a black cup o' joe in the other!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Was shooting only 38? Man, and I thought you was growed up and heavy on the 357mag. Even my daughter can shoot the 38 one handed!
hehehe, just poking fun.
I'm like sheepdog, we had to learn one handed strong and weak, left and right barracades, even shooting in, over and around cars. The revolver is harder to shoot accurately one handed than an auto due to the rotation of the bbl as you pull the trigger, all that force to cause the cylinder to turn. And the stouter the load the more you have to hang on and time it takes to steady out and get back on target. When we use to go out in the woods, we would shoot from all different kinds of positions, just to make it more fun. The paper punching gets boring nowadays.

·
Registered
320 Posts
One handed shooting.....:D
Yep, done that with my full power 454 Casull loads.
3:00 one second,11:00 the next.
Was checking my right wrist in 2005.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I practice with .38 due to price of ammo. But stay tuned, I just got back from the gun show and there is a new addition to the family!!!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I practice one handed point shooting at close range and can do well enough for self defense, but for longer range target shooting I use both hands.

·
Registered
320 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

I practice with .38 due to price of ammo. But stay tuned, I just got back from the gun show and there is a new addition to the family!!!
Hope your other guns aren't jealous :D.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is my target, first time ever trying one handed. Ten yards. Not good. Double action, though. I need to practice that.

Check out my new addition in the Gallery forum!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Eddie, I don't see a darn thing wrong with those results! I counted 12 on paper, and some decent 2 and 3 shot groupings, although I don't know the succession of your shots. But double action one handed shooting like that is nothing to be ashamed of! Good job! And keep on having fun and trying new things. You learn a lot more by stepping out of your comfort zone. Are ya gonna give us a hint as to what your new addition is?

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Wolfsong! Unfortunately there is no real succession of shots in relation to the pattern/grouping, pretty random. It's funny though, that shot very near the center, I knew when I squeezed that off it was close to perfect and, like a great golf shot, I'm left wondering 'why can't I do that every time?'

Here's the new addition, a Single Six, alongside my GP100...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
How would that target look on a T-shirt on an average-sized man??? 'Nuff said!!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

How would that target look on a T-shirt on an average-sized man??? 'Nuff said!!!
Sheepdog beat me to it.... put that on a B-27 target and you will see your still in the C.O.M. of the target. There is not a thing wrong with your group.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi EddieF :D
Like others here,nothing to be ashamed of.
Good shooting !

·
Registered
880 Posts
Right on, there, Sheepdog...yeah, we did. The folks I'm with still require a a little of that, with both strong and weak hand. Yet, with most everybody usin' slide guns instead of wheelguns today...th' full appreciation of the thing isn't fully understood, I'd guess. If a guy has a smooth DA revolver, he really ought to try it, just fer' th' experience.

Had a pair of Herrets made way back then...they were called "Jordan Grips" if I recall correctly. Also had an "out of th' box" style, similiar, if I remember right...called the 'Shooting Star". They were indeed smooth, as Mr. Jordan explained, so that one could adjust his grip easily and quickly.

And, Eddie...that ain't bad, friend. Keep at it, with a load that's easy to control, and enjoy. And, it does things fer' your confidence, too!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is two handed from the same session. I felt pretty good about this, even though this target is only from 7 yards, but it has been 5 or 6 weeks since I had been to the range and I wasn't sure how comfortable I'd be...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts