Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came into some inheritance money a few years back and bought my first Glock. It was the Glock 26 Gen 4 and I got pretty good with it. Sometime later, I went for my CWP and my trusty G26 got me a perfect score on the range test.

I began to get an interest in Sigs P series pistols and sold my Glock to help fund a P226 purchase. I have since sold the P226, to this day I still carry a Sig P938!

I regret giving up the very pistol that earned me my Carry Permit...I should have retired it for my Son!

Anyone else have the one they miss?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did that!

I sold a buddy my Smith 629 to get a Glock 30 for a CCW. About a month later I was kicking myself. Took me around 5 years but I managed to get it back. That is the only one that I ever regretted.

Funny thing is I ended up selling that same Glock to the same guy and ended up getting that one back too. LOL I did not care that much if it came back tho.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wish I still had the bolt action .22 my dad gave me when I was 10. I sold it when I was 18. My father died back in 1998, it would be nice to have it to shoot today and remember those times we went out to the boonies, set up can and I shot them with him.
now your SIG P938, IS the gun I presently want. Due ot covid I am giong through some financial issues si I don't have the spare $$ to get it. but when i do I will. The SIG reps came to the range near me. they did not bring anything but a few 9mm, which sucked since I like a .45. I did not pick that gun, but the rep brought it inside the range for me anyway. he set up the target at 5 yds, I laughed and said that's cheating and pushed it out to 10 yds. I lined it up with a 10 in target and a 1.5in bullseye, and hit the BE 1st shot, turned around and said I love it. I cannot believe how accurate it is was at 10yds. I got 10 shots all with a 2in spread with that gun. its an awesome piece. I kept the target.
But yea, I agree, holding your first one for your son would have been great.
Vertebrate Mammal Font Circle Electronic device

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I've only sold off one of my revolvers -- a .44 Mag SRH . Only could carry it in a chest style holster, so was rarely shot. I got an .45 Colt original Vaquero (shot plenty with it) in its place and never regretted it. So no.... Semi-autos are a dime-a-dozen. No attachment to that style of guns.

·
Registered
669 Posts
While I was "growing" the gun pile I did regret selling a few.
But the money was always reinvested in another gun that was more needed, at that time.
Now that I am attempting to shrink the gun pile I cannot afford the remorse.
Funny, the easiest guns to sell are the NIB collectable beauties. Turns out they are just vanity pieces after all.
The ones I am troubled to sell are my beat to death, rode hard, well pounded, self modified to my taste ,,,,,,, shooters.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I have never sold a gun.. I did trade one last week but never sold. I have wonder what it would feel like. I be honest I am thinking about selling some of my guns. I am getting older and I don't think my kids really want any of my guns and would sale once I am gone. I think I could enjoy the money myself.

Wait I did sell a Black Powder rifle at the last gun show I went to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have never sold a gun.. I did trade one last week but never sold. I have wonder what it would feel like. I be honest I am thinking about selling some of my guns. I am getting older and I don't think my kids really want any of my guns and would sale once I am gone. I think I could enjoy the money myself.

Wait I did sell a Black Powder rifle at the last gun show I went to.
I regret selling my dads .357smith highway patrolman special all others got turned into other guns that I wanted.

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,828 Posts
There are many I regret. I once bought a beautiful Rem 700 BDL .308 brand new, and sold it before I ever put a scope on it. A Colt Cobra .38spl, and Dan Wesson .357 and .22 revolvers with multiple barrels. The biggest regret is the amazingly accurate Dan Wesson 8" .44 magnum I sold when my roommate disappeared on rent day . I took a big loss, but I kept my perfect record of paying rent on time. I miss that huge revolver.

·
Super Moderator
5,081 Posts
Every gun I sold, I wish I had back. Every gun I sold was sold back in college when I needed money and I was down to the last few dollars and was making the old food to eat or gas to get to work dance.
I have found in my case, that any gun that I might have lost interest in, that lost interest is temporary and before long I will be pulling it out of the back of the safe.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Best not to sell guns, even if it's a Glock!

I have a few guns that I've considered selling. Mostly ones that don't work very well. I have a P22 CA that I'd have sold a long time ago but it has the distinction of being the first handgun I ever purchased and the only gun I ever bought in California so it has some sentimental value despite being a jam-o-matic.

I have a Taurus TCP in .380ACP that I've thought about selling. It's a CCW oriented pistol that's had intermittent reliability issues... so it's basically useless. Not much fun to shoot at the range and not reliable enough to carry... oh yeah, and it's discontinued. At this point I'm basically keeping it around so if the 'end times' come I can barter it away for a loaf of bread or roasted chicken.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I came into some inheritance money a few years back and bought my first Glock. It was the Glock 26 Gen 4 and I got pretty good with it. Sometime later, I went for my CWP and my trusty G26 got me a perfect score on the range test.

I began to get an interest in Sigs P series pistols and sold my Glock to help fund a P226 purchase. I have gh the yearssince sold the P226, to this day I still carry a Sig P938!

I regret giving up the very pistol that earned me my Carry Permit...I should have retired it for my Son!

Anyone else have the one they miss?
The only ones of the many that I've sold/traded down through the years were two Colts. The New Service that my wife gave me when we were first married and an older Detective Special...really wish I had those two back!

·
Administrator
22,889 Posts
I have sold and traded many over the years but looking back I wish I had hung onto a Sears 30/30 that was just a nice little rifle. It was accurate, light and believe it was a Winchester M94 clone.

I also have one I regret not buying and that was a Colt Detective Special that a gunsmith offered to me for $300 in the 90's and I passed.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I'm 72 now ... my Old Man must have been a lot smarter than I gave him credit for ... when I was about 12 we were dove hunting and I was using my Grandfathers Remington model 17 , 20 ga. pump ... I dropped the first dove flushed and told my Daddy that I really like that Model 17 ...it seemed to point itself . Dad looked at me and said " Son ...Don't Ever sell a gun you like ...you will regret it ... some day "
That's probably the best advice I ever got from anyone ... concerning guns !
PS - I still have model 17 Remington pump ! I still Love it !
Gary

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Every gun I sold, I wish I had back. Every gun I sold was sold back in college when I needed money and I was down to the last few dollars and was making the old food to eat or gas to get to work dance.
I have found in my case, that any gun that I might have lost interest in, that lost interest is temporary and before long I will be pulling it out of the back of the safe.
Yes, this!
I also sold/traded a few when $$ was an issue back in the college days. I don't buy guns 'on a whim' they are generally much thought about before buying so I don't part with them anymore. I have had quite a few guns that went unused for extended periods but sooner or later someone mentions something they wish to try or see and the gun gets back out and interest is rekindled.

My stock answer to anyone's question about buying any of my guns (or knives) is that they are all for sale and they will have to buy them from my widow. I hear a number of people saying that they don't have offspring to leave their guns to and so they are getting rid of them so as not to leave a burden when they pass. I guess that I am very fortunate in having some trusted friends who will take care of that when the time comes. If my wife needs the $$ they will sell all the guns, hopefully things will work out where they can pick one or two 'favorites' for themselves and then sell the rest. Either way, I get to enjoy them through all of my days.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 39 Posts