Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, all of the talk about the new plastic TG's and barrel bands got me good and upset last week, so I started going to all of my local shops looking to see if anyone still had any "old" stock left. Found a few, and bought one, even though it is the flat black powdercoat. It looks pretty good, I am however kinda worried about the durability, as many have made it clear that the new finish that was implemented just before the plastic changeover was pretty lame and fragile. I put it into one of my re-finished stocks that I had laying around, and think that it is a good looker though.

I did a trigger polish and stoning myself, and got it down to ~2lb without the use of aftermarket parts. I also did the "auto-bolt" mod, and headspaced and radiused the bolt. The barrel is going out to be set-back and rechambered, and to get a new 11 degree crown. Other than that, I plan to leave it as is, no bells and whistles. Kinda a "sleeper" for showing up some of my benchrest buddies. :D

JJ

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,415 Posts
That's a mighty fine looking 10/22. Don't worry about the finish on the receiver. Ruger used to "powder coat" them but for the past few years they are just painted. If they get barked up, just buy a can of epoxy based flat black spray paint. I've refinished a few and when you compare them to a brand new gun, you can't tell the difference. The powder finish was very hard to match and wasn't any more scratch resistant than paint.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That is some gorgeous wood on the little rifle me likey:D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone,

It's "Tiger Striped Maple" from when they had some maple stocks coming out of the factory. I re-finished it and really think that it has some neat charachter. In the light, the stripes change from dark to light and vice versa when you rotate it from front to back. Kinda interesting to say the least.

JJ

·
Banned
700 Posts
Good tiger stripe maples are scarce. Ruger went to maple for a limited time after the post walnut birch...then back to birch. I've seen some nice ones like the one pic'd from the early 90's.

SD

·
Registered
211 Posts
WOW! Nice tiger stripe, that top one is possibly the nicest I have seen.

·
Registered
377 Posts
That's awesome!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts