Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to put down one of my Rhodesian Ridgebacks last evening. His health was going south quickly and I didn't want my buddy to suffer. I think as a pet owner, that's the hardest part...putting your best friend down for good. It's not the first time I've had to this and surely not the last. It doesn't get any easier. I'm gonna miss him. I truly believe it is one of the worst feelings in the world.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Sorry for the passing of your bud. I've had to do that to many times in my life also. Said I would never get another animal to have to go through that again and within a month or so, well there's another one to raise.

Agreed it's the worse feeling in the world but soon the void gets filled.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Sorry for your loss. They become our best friends and, just like our human friends, it is hard to let them go. You made the right decision, but it is a difficult one.

·
Pony Soldier
8,640 Posts
Remember the happiness you gave your friend.

Greg

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
I feel for you. It never gets any easier. It's just so hard to know when it's time, because of how tough they are, and their ability to not show pain. I'm glad you have other dogs to help ease the pain.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
My condolences to you, it's never easy.
I don't remember where I got this:

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years -
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come, so let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
And please stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve - it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years -
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Still miss mine, been 3 years and still get a lump in my throat. My dad and dog died about week apart and Poocher hit me a whole lot harder. Have not been able to get another yet.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Aw man, I am so sorry. If you miss him like that then he was a happy dog and a good good boy. Think of those times.

There ain't no easy way...

·
Registered
803 Posts
I went through the same thing last February. I had to put down my 13 year old Chocolate Lab. He was the best buddy I ever had. He was with me every step around the house for 13 years. That just cannot be replaced. I want another dog bad but I just cannot bring myself to do it because it won't be my old Max and that is what I want. Maybe in time.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Mister not so famous, I feel your pain.

Mishtub,that The Last Battle is a beautiful poem.

Been there too many times and I know we are not alone!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for your strong support. It means a lot to me.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Being a pet owner I understand all about the loss of a friend.

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. Been there, done that and it sucks. It's one of the toughest things a pet owner ever has to do. It's worth it though. The blessings a loyal dog brings into your life are immeasurable. Again, condolences on your loss.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for your support.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Been there several times and will be there again several times more. Beloved pets are hard to give up. You built some beautiful memories together.

"God gives us love; something to love, He lends us."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts