Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than hijack Jeepnut711's thread on"... 2 Blackhawks from a Gunsmith Friend ..." I thought it better to start a new thread.
Jeepnut and another briefly mentioned the One Ragged Hole Sight rear aperture for the Blackhawks, and I've been looking at the concept for a while.

Guessing it's used just like a rifle aperture? Look through the aperture, still concentrating on the front and let the eye naturally center the front in the aperture, correct?

For those that have it, a few quick comments about it please. Ease of install, which aperture is is used most often, in what conditions (comes w/2 apertures, yes?), does it provide the required level of precision at handgun ranges (out to ... 25? 50? yards)? Any downsides you didn't expect? Thanks!

-jb, loves the concept and cheap enough

·
Registered
Favorite-Blackhawk 357 Mag-4 5/8”
528 Posts
It does come with 2 apertures, it’s easy to install (instructions are included, slide the rear blade out and insert the aperture blade. You do have to be careful with the spring). I shoot an aperture sight on several long guns so it was an easy transition. I am good to 50-75 yds. with a revolver which is same with open sights just easier to acquire a sight picture for me. I have no issues but it is not as good as a scope in low light conditions.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I love it. As stated you shoot it like a rifle aperture focus on the front sight and let it center itself. I took the "big" one hole sight and placed it on my 45 Blackhawk I carry when hiking in case of any predators, 2 legged or 4. I like how quick it is to acquire. I placed the small one on my Single Six I use around the ranch for pests and varmits. It seems to have made the gun more accurate for me especially when paired with a fiber William front sight. I'm a big fan of them, and think that they are just a step down from a red dot on a handgun (I have one on a .22 S&W Victory loads of fun), but 10xs more attractive and keep the gun looking clean and natural plus no added weight. My only complaint/worry is that they will get bent as they do stick up a bit; but that hasn't happened yet in my 2 years of owning them so this worry may be unfounded. Only improvement I may do is add some paint to the sides in the center on the "small" sight to help center it when making precision shots. I have the cloverleaf aperture on my Marlin .357 which has little green fiber dots in the center that help a ton, curious if this will help on the Single Six as well. Pictures are top to bottom Single Six with rear sight in focus; front sight in focus; NM Blackhawk with rear sight in focus, then front sight; and the last picture is on the Blackhawk showing the height of the sight.
Arm Liquid Human body Toy Gesture
Toy Gesture Wood Grey Macro photography
Hand Toy Gesture Musical instrument Audio equipment
Gesture Finger Thumb Nail Wood
Revolver Office equipment Gas Automotive exhaust Machine

·
Registered
496 Posts
Also, looking at the side view, it does look as though the aperture could be easily bent. Yes?
I've thought that but mine feels very solid. If you hooked it on something I'm sure it could be, but so could a regular sight if you tried hard enough. The Single Six has bounced around on the seat or dash of a side by side or feed pickup in Eastern Montana for 2+ years without an issue so far fingers crossed. If they do bend, they are a cheap replacement at $30 a pop for 2 of them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I like them quite a bit. I have the larger aperture on a 2.75" .357 Security Six with the stock front sight, and the smaller aperture on a 5.5" 45Colt Redhawk with a gold bead front sight.
My groups have decreased almost in half with both. I get better sight pictures more quickly.
For fun I have knocked gallon jugs around at the 100 yard berm with the Security Six.
I have taken several deer, a few pigs, and a few coyotes with single shots from the Redhawk using 270gr Thunderheads anywhere from 30 to 80 yards. You just have practice enough to know how high to hold.
Never had a problem with them bending.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice review Montana, and thank you others that replied.
I also thought about a slightly quicker target acquisition if it matters.

-jb, for $30 I can bend a couple :sneaky:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
One thing will add is that they are fantastic as stated but company does recommend and I have tried is that larger sight for shorter barrels and range time. Smaller sight for longer barrels and longer shots. Does work for me. Highly recommend.

Reactions: Red Dirt Dave

·
Registered
432 Posts
I put one on a 45 colt Blackhawk. It was easy to install as has already been mentioned. I haven't shot it much since I installed it so not much to add.

If you drop the revolver on a hard surface I'm sure the sight can bend. That kind of accident isn't in anyones plans, I hope. Otherwise the sight seems strong enough to withstand normal use.

·
Registered
168 Posts
One of the guys on this site gave me one not sure what size it was, but I did not have much luck with it. One time I would do great group and next time it looked awful. I gave it to a buddy and he did not like it either. Not sure if they guy he gave it to liked it or not.

I liked the idea of it and real simple to install it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Personally, I like them. I use the smaller diameter one hole rear sight on all of my Ruger revolvers and also put one on my Ruger Mark IV. The picture is my GP100 with the smaller one hole rear sight.

Water Nature Wood Biome Watercourse

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have seen those and being a rifle guy know the simplicity and precision these offer.
I read the literature on their web sight-pun intended, on the various sizes and the recommended yardages for each.
This might be something to add on my three screw 41 mag with 6 1/2” barrel.
Thx for the links to the site!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put them on my Redhawk and two Blackhawks. After my 70th birthday I started having trouble focusing on the front sight clearly. These took care of the problem for me.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I installed one on my 3.75" Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley today. I got the sight from a friend, and was torn between mounting it here, or on my 5.5" Redhawk. This particular sight is the "Large Aperture" version, which according to Warren Custom is recommended for shorter barrels . . . So it wound up here. I can always move it to the Redhawk later - installation was pretty simple. I also have a 7.5" SBH, but it usually wears a scope.

Next step is deciding what color Hi-Viz paint to dab on the front sight . . . I have yellow, orange, green and also phosphorescent white.

I'm looking forward to a range trip soon.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

Gas Automotive lighting Automotive tire Metal Auto part

Arm Gas Machine Metal Art

1 - 20 of 30 Posts