Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know S&W makes a great 686, very well finished and just a classic beauty.
But one or two things that I like better about the GP100 is
1. the grip frame , you can pretty much put a grip on it to make it the length of pull that fits you're hand. You can do this due to the grip frame not fitting to the edge of the grip. You can make the grip pretty much any size. It's a great design.
2. Front sight is just a breeze to replace. You can switch them out at will if you like.

My GP's are dead on shooters, very accurate for me and my steel plate shooting.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yup, the easy to change sight is very nice. I've got a few different sights that I've been changing between to find what I like most.

I also like how easy it is to disassemble.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
...I also like how easy it is to disassemble.
Yes! A cartridge rim or dime edge to remove the grip screw, then you can completely detail strip the GP100 action without tools. Try that with a Smith & Wesson...! The crane/yoke to frame latch and non-rotating extractor rod are great, too.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I wish the sight attachment would become more standard. I think I'm up to 4 now that I play, uh do research, with.

And the grip was the final difference between the two when I was looking at the 686 and the GP100. I found myself adjusting on the 686 and the GP100 just sits naturally in my hand.

Wish I was as accurate as it is though. Oh yeah, just all kinds of fun to shoot too.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
For me, the biggest reason I prefer the GP is the DA pull. I do not like the way a 586/686 stacks all the way to the end of the DA pull. I find that I can keep the sights much steadier and lined up during smoother DA trigger cycle with the GP and it shows in my better DA scores with the GP.

Note that this is a personal preference. Some folks prefer the 586/686 DA pull. I do not and, yes, I do as much DA work as SA work when shooting so it is a big deal for me.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bwinters,
That is a good point. Not downing it or saying anything wrong about it so please do not think I am. But my preference is to have the extra metal in the cylinder and also more of a traditionalist about the 6 rounds. But many people would rather have the 7 rounds.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I agree on all points but I mostly just wanted to chime in and say what a great looking revolver that is! Very nice.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I agree on all points but I mostly just wanted to chime in and say what a great looking revolver that is! Very nice.
Yeah, that's one sweet gp!:)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I prefer the balance of the GP over the S&W M-686. I've owned and shot both and both are very accurate and often take the same holsters.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Those are two great features. May I add a third?
User serviceability and an easy trigger job.
With a little study, a GP100 owner can disassemble, lighten springs, & polish bearing surfaces etc. The owner thus saves $200 on a trigger job.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Those are two great features. May I add a third?
User serviceability and an easy trigger job.
With a little study, a GP100 owner can disassemble, lighten springs, & polish bearing surfaces etc. The owner thus saves $200 on a trigger job.
To be sure, opening up a Smith is not a chore to be taken, lightly.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rich & Northcountygirl,
That is also a good point. Definitely a S&W disassembly if not done correctly will damage the side plate and there is a lot going on in that revolver.
A Ruger is definitely easier, at least for me and I have had several S&W apart.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These grips are off of ebay. They are the only ones that I can find that really fit my smaller hands well.
If interested just type the following in the search box on ebay. They come from over seas.
(RUGER GP 100, GP 100 SUPER REDHAWK GRIPS,NEW, HARDWOOD,GP 100, JARUWAN.P)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts