Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Only one complaint about the Ruger American

10K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  DPris 
#1 ·
Just purchased a new Ruger American 308. Wanted a lightweight gun for toting up the mountainside in WV. Fits the bill. These rifles are a great deal. I only have one complaint. I was cleaning out the factory goo and when I got to the trigger group, just passing a rag over the thing made the two exposed c-clips pop right off the trigger pin and the sear pin (two closest to the trigger). A 20 minute search on the floor (couldn't end up on the workbench, of course :rolleyes:) finally located the little buggers. The other pins are shorter and have a circular recess to protect the clips. Why not these two??? Did not want my trigger falling out in the woods, so I pushed the pins down against the clips and put on a small amount of Loctite 242 to hold them in place. Why on earth did Ruger do it this way? :confused:

#2 ·
I wonder the smae thing about my M77, except it's just about the stock screws. Why do I have to keep the one screw just barely (BARELY!) snug in order for it to shoot good groups!? Dang thing might fall out, I'm gonna have to Loctite it I guess. Why does Ruger do these things when they almost have it perfect? I don't know.

#6 ·
Yes, it's a good article, esp. if someone can't look at & try each model to see what they like.

But I have read articles where the Ruger came out on top. I worked up loads for a friends Marlin 25-06 & it is a nice rifle. It is in 25-06, shot 100 gr & below well. I have since worked with 2 American 308's & they shot slightly better. The big edge to me with the Ruger over ANY other tuperware stock is the bedding system. The Marlin uses pressure points, which doesn't help much in some field shooting or esp. if you use a bipod. Also, I am a tang safety man & also like detachable mags.

I had zero issues adj. the Ruger or Marlin trigger. The only issue I have with the Ruger is the trigger guard. I would much prefer a detachable in case I broke the guard, unlikely but possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.