Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to settle on one EDC and one "duty size" pistol, and only shoot those so I can be as proficient as I can with them.

The two I've chosen are of vastly different "manuals of arms," i.e. one is a DAO, the other is DA/SA. Given the different purposes of each, that may or may not be a big deal. They also have totally different sights. I picked them because they are the same caliber and I already shoot both of them pretty accurately.

But, I am wondering if there's a benefit to going with a "big brother/little brother" kind of setup, like a Shield and a full size M&P, or Ruger SP101 and GP100, or other similar pairing of pistols. The same caliber would make sense, but it doesn't have to be.

Am I overthinking it?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Given that I shot a huge variety of pistols and cartridges, I'm probably not one to give advice, but, yes, I can see the logic of staying with one type of gun, same cartridge and so on. As with all things CCW, though, it really is your decision, what you makes you comfortable, what gives you confidence.

Me, I have no issues switching back and forth between various types of handguns and I do carry revolvers and semi-autos for CCW, but I have a lot of time available to shoot and I do shot, a lot. If your time is limited, I can see the sense of keeping things simple. Best of luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You're not overthinking it. I carry an SR9c and shoot a 9mm Spartan. If I were to get another conceal carry, it would be an M&P Shield with the safety. All operate roughly the same. All have the same caliber - making my ammo shopping easy.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
You're on the right path. I'd carry a M&P and a Snub. Actually, I do.

Can we just tell you to get all 4? :p

I carry the Shield and S&W 360 most. I carry Glocks for a full sized pistol.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
If you want to remove all doubt about differing calibers, operation, size, etc., perhaps you should consider a Sig P320. With it's modular design, you literally remove the internal mechanism and drop it into a different grip assembly. So, you have a full size/"duty size" for home defense or target/competition then switch to the compact or sub-compact for EDC.

You even have the option down the road to switch calibers.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
From a practical view, I have too much fun shooting lots of different style and caliber pistols and revolvers and rifles. I don't think I could limit myself to just two voluntarily.

From a theoretical view, I could pair up a LC9 and a SR9 for a pistol pair. Or, go with my LCR .357, my GP100, and my Rossi 92 rifle for a trio.

·
Registered
392 Posts
defense pistols (see "Blasters") are, hopefully high capacity(more blasting) and have a large, bright front sight, in case you have time to actually use it and a functional trigger(short stroke, good reset). my old j-frame is for sale(these days, 5 shots is a joke), I'm shopping for an SR9c, w/17 round mags. good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
Given that I shot a huge variety of pistols and cartridges, I'm probably not one to give advice, but, yes, I can see the logic of staying with one type of gun, same cartridge and so on. As with all things CCW, though, it really is your decision, what you makes you comfortable, what gives you confidence.

Me, I have no issues switching back and forth between various types of handguns and I do carry revolvers and semi-autos for CCW, but I have a lot of time available to shoot and I do shot, a lot. If your time is limited, I can see the sense of keeping things simple. Best of luck.
I agree with this. I also shoot all kinds of different guns and have no problem switching from one manual of arms to another. If you're (the OP) comfortable doing the same I wouldn't over think it. Sooner or later an internet 'operator' is going to chime in and tell you why that's a bad idea but I recommend you do what's comfortable for you despite what the experts will say. Shooting is part science and part art form. One size does not fit all.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My carry duo. Completely different manual of arms. Not a problem with it. I did stay with like caliber as it makes spare ammo carry simpler.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I enjoy recreational shooting and variety too much to limit myself to just two. There IS a good argument to be made in simplifying to reach the ultimate in accuracy potential.

For my carry guns, I have cut it down to two "systems". Striker fired, semi autos and revolvers. No external safeties and a consistent trigger pull for each shot. For someone else, there is nothing wrong with with going a different route. Just practice until making the gun go bang and on target is second nature.

A friend of mine went one step further than the OP. ONE gun model. He has three Glock 17s and no other handguns. He shoots frequently and only that model. He is also very, very good. He dresses around the gun for concealed carry. If one (or even two) ever break, he picks up the next one.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I carry three different types of pistols each with a different manual of arms. DAO,DA/SA, SAO. Not had a problem switching between them. I do practice with all of them regularly. Run with what works for you and makes you feel comforted. Best wishes.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,556 Posts
I'm thinking of a SR9C/CZ75B combo, same caliber, although the CZ might be replaced by the RIA 1911 in 45acp since they're about the same size.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Don't let the DA/SA bother you. That is a fabrication on the part of gun
writers looking for another article to get paid for. If you "need" to shoot,
the auto-pilot in people that have shot for years takes over and you do
not even notice.

·
Registered
392 Posts
"- I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE! "
BaWaHahahahahaha! very good.

how about a Glock 30s in the pocket and a Glock 21 on the night stand? same bullet, same trigger, same "grab a brick" feel.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Sig "transformer" idea is interesting. There's also the XDs/XD full size pairing. Not sure if the SR series and the LC9 are meant to be paired like that. And there are the various .380 mini 1911s and their .45 counterparts. Oh, and Glock 43/17.

My current ones are a Kahr PM45 and Ruger P90.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I believe in carrying the same pistol, or revolver, becoming proficient with it and knowing how it functions. I have carried the same DA/SA .45 for twenty years. I just bought a Ruger Custom LCP to carry on my farm. It shot fine with ball ammo, but is having a problem loading Speer 95 gr. hollow points. I am going to try loading some Hydra Shok and see if it loads that better. It's always the .45 when I leave the property.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I believe in carrying the same pistol, or revolver, becoming proficient with it and knowing how it functions. I have carried the same DA/SA .45 for twenty years. I just bought a Ruger Custom LCP to carry on my farm. It shot fine with ball ammo, but is having a problem loading Speer 95 gr. hollow points. I am going to try loading some Hydra Shok and see if it loads that better. It's always the .45 when I leave the property.
If you want to stay with "hollow point" for your LCP, you might consider Hornady Critical Defense. It has worked flawlessly in my LCP.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I recently switched my EDC from an LCR 357 to a Walther P99CAS. The P99C allows you to carry 10+1 with a pinky extension for EDC. If you want to switch to a high cap then you can get the 15 round mag with grip sleeve and have 15+1. It mimics the full size P99 but allows the smaller mags for more comfortable carry. The full size can still be carried quite adequately though. It's a nice combo gun.

·
Registered
600 Posts
My two CC guns; LCP, G-23 2nd gen.

This is a change from two DA/SA guns I used in previous years, Browning BDA(.380acp), S&W 4566(.45acp)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts