Ruger Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
753 Posts
I currently own an RCBS beam scale and have watched tons of videos reviewing digital scales. It is surprising how inaccurate many of the digital units are, sometimes even the brand name/expensive ones.

I want to buy a couple and check them against each other and I've got two sets of check weights. I plan to use the digital scale when I first set up the measure, then the beam scale to verify, then the digitals to check each charge.
To me it is about speed, whichever is quickest.

· Registered
2 Posts
I've always have and still do just use the analog beam scale. See no reason for electronic. No electricity/batteries. My Hornady was bought back in the early 80s and is still right on (checked with check weights). So I very much trust it, but I do double check myself. It is a bit simpler than above scale as this one has only two scales. A 0.1 up to 9.9 weight and 10.0 to whatever weight on the beam. So for most of my loads I move 'one' weight.

I don't recall ever mis-setting the scale. I do know though I am really careful with a 'new' powder as I am not familiar with how much volume for 'x' grains. Once you get a 'feel' for a powder you know what it looks like it the case for given load and catch problems (like you did ... "hey, that doesn't seem/look right... lets recheck the manual and scale") .
Entris analytics scales
Hello. I have an old RCBS 505 scale that I want to accurize. What are the tricks in making a balance beam sensitive to one granual of powder?

· Registered
2,259 Posts
The only thing I'm aware of is very carefully cleaning the agate and pivot. If you have one that has a drum style vernier scale you may be able to interpolate to fractions of tenths grains. Don't oil the pivot what ever you do.
I have a very accurate, sensitive, RCBS 304 which can change with 2-4 granules of some powders like H4831. Now I'm going to check my RCBS10-10 scale.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts