Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Max .38 Super pressure is 36,500 psi.
Max .38 Special +P pressure is 20,000 psi.
Max .357 magnum pressure is 35,000 psi.

Hopefully, you know what specific load you fired. Take that info to a gunsmith, and let the gunsmith look it over. But, like KillDevilBill wrote, it's a Ruger.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
Glad to have you on the forum. while I do not recommend it some 38 357 revolvers will chamber and shoot 38 super. Just because this can work does not mean it is a good idea. If fired in a newer large frame 38 special or 357 revolver pressures are okay. if fired in an older 38 special revolver or small frame 38 special the far higher 38 super pressure could be very dangerous.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I'm surprised that a 38 super cartridge, being rimless and shorter than a 38 special, would chamber in an LCR. Why wouldn't the cartridge just slide ahead into the cylinder with the primer beyond reach of the firing pin? I don't have any 38 super rounds on hand to try this.

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Actually, the .38 Super is a semi-rimmed cartridge. That little rim would keep it from slipping into the chamber all the way.
Thanks for the info. Not familiar with that cartridge at all, but it sounds like a potential disaster, especially for someone with an older model 38.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.