Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't open carry here in PA but can do it legally without a permit. The only time that I do is if I'm in the woods picking mushrooms or hunting and fishing. It should be our right, not a privilege.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
I hope it goes through. We have open carry in Indiana, but like you, I still choose to carry concealed. Not because of fear, but I would rather have the element of surprise on my side.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
When I lived in NC open carry was the only carry allowed although, that has changed since then. I never carried openly in public because I felt that there was any point in making someone uncomfortable. If Florida does pass the open carry law, it will be good for one thing as far as I am concerned. There have been several cases of accidental exposure of a gun that was concealed. Somebody panics and calls the cops. Person is charged with public exposure of a weapon and is arrested although there was no intent on his part. He is now a criminal and could get jail time for the offense. The open carry bill will stop this non sense.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Well...

We all have the right to open carry, it's just that the government keeps infringing on the right. :)

I doubt I'd ever open carry, but maybe it would make it easier to carry a full size pistol without so much concern for cover garments.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't plan to carry openly

I'll be applying for my CCP next week, but I don't think I'll open carry either. Like some of you already said, I don't want to make people uncomfortable, even though, I feel better knowing that someone near me is carrying.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
When I lived in NC open carry was the only carry allowed although, that has changed since then. I never carried openly in public because I felt that there was any point in making someone uncomfortable. If Florida does pass the open carry law, it will be good for one thing as far as I am concerned. There have been several cases of accidental exposure of a gun that was concealed. Somebody panics and calls the cops. Person is charged with public exposure of a weapon and is arrested although there was no intent on his part. He is now a criminal and could get jail time for the offense. The open carry bill will stop this non sense.
That nonsense in Florida was pretty well stopped back in 2011 when Gov. Rick Scott signed into law SB 234 which reads in part:

"It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That nonsense in Florida was pretty well stopped back in 2011 when Gov. Rick Scott signed into law SB 234 which reads in part:

"It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense."
I was looking for this, I knew there was something on the books that protected one against an accidental weapons display.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Thanks for the info. I was getting increasingly worried about that as I will be living down there at the end of the month. No worries here in VA.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In Nj neither open or concealed carry is legal.
....only OK for those who are apparently more important than us "common folk". Ironically, also OK for some of our anti-gun legislators that "do as I say, but not as I do" :confused:
Granted, NJ is the land of A-holes, where many people probably don't have the psychological wherewithal to CC, but I would rather stand a chance against the ever-impinging criminal element who don't seem to be concerned with our gun laws anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts