Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does anyone here live in a state that allows open carry? If so, do you? They recently made a law in SC where if you have a permit you can open carry. I used to open carry when I was off duty LEO. I never thought twice about it then, but now I’m no so sure. I saw a bunch of videos where people were disarmed and it made me not so sure about it. I think if you do your alert level has to be much higher than if carrying concealed. I don’t think I’d do it now I’d rather just carry concealed.
I live in an open carry constitutional carry state. Almost nobody open carries and I don't either. It's non issue make for liberal yappy dogs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Open carry here in New Mexico with no license required but there are a few restrictions. Concealed carry with license. If you are open carrying here you are just looking for trouble. It is too easy for someone to beat you up and get your gun, best to carry it concealed. Nobody in my opinion needs to know you have a gun.
Do you think you'd more likely be attacked by appearing to be a hard target or a soft target? How often do you see a gun store attacked during business hours vs a gas station?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can OC with CC permit in ND. I open carry in the boonies with my Blackhawk but in civilization I CC my Glock.

People don't need to know I'm armed. If people want to OC, its fine with me but other people notice also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
PA is an open carry state, but I only OC while hiking, camping, etc. I think OC will get you noticed real fast, and generally I prefer people not have their eyes on me specifically.
You've never OC'd then. People rarely notice things. How often do you see people just having their faces in their phones? If you OC, you'll find out how often people do not notice things. Case in point, how many times was the ball passed?

·
Registered
428 Posts
You've never OC'd then. People rarely notice things. How often do you see people just having their faces in their phones? If you OC, you'll find out how often people do not notice things. Case in point, how many times was the ball passed?

Beg to dfiier ….. I have open carried often in woodlands activity. People see my holstered gun. Some get startled. Others do not. But to tell me “You've never OC'd then” is off base unless your definition of open carry is far from mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Beg to dfiier ….. I have open carried often in woodlands activity. People see my holstered gun. Some get startled. Others do not. But to tell me “You've never OC'd then” is off base unless your definition of open carry is far from mine.
How do you control what other people find "scary?" People can be scared of a dog, big or small. People can be scared of clowns. Hoplophobia happens. You can only control your feelings. Stop trying to control what other people feel. Also, if someone sees you carrying and you aren't scary, that breaks down that barrier of guns = bad.

I've had people come up to me and tell me they are scared of my gun. Clearly not because if you were, you wouldn't be coming up to me.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Do you think you'd more likely be attacked by appearing to be a hard target or a soft target? How often do you see a gun store attacked during business hours vs a gas station?
If you are open carrying you have a target on your back. If you think you are acting like Billy bad ass by open carrying and I was a bad guy you would be the first one I would take out If I wanted to do something bad to you or anyone else around you. I being older would look like a softer target but carrying concealed and constant awareness of surroundings I feel would give me a slight advantage over a bad guy, maybe not though never know until that moment would happen.

You don't hear of gun shops getting attacked during business hours because most if not all of the employees in the shop are armed. Most bad guys are not the brightest bulbs on the tree but not to many would want to go up against superior firepower.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you are open carrying you have a target on your back. If you think you are acting like Billy bad ass by open carrying and I was a bad guy you would be the first one I would take out If I wanted to do something bad to you or anyone else around you. I being older would look like a softer target but carrying concealed and constant awareness of surroundings I feel would give me a slight advantage over a bad guy, maybe not though never know until that moment would happen.

You don't hear of gun shops getting attacked during business hours because most if not all of the employees in the shop are armed. Most bad guys are not the brightest bulbs on the tree but not to many would want to go up against superior firepower.
How many times are hard targets targeted first? Far less than those who look like soft targets. You admitted as such in your second paragraph and goes along with this article posted on Indiana Gun Owners:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I was surprised one day to see a guy ahead of me in line at malwart had a revolver in a holster. No indication he was a LEO or anything other than a regular guy.
I was glad to put distance between him and me. I don't have confidence that others are trained and practice to a high level. If there were a gun battle, there are two guys who may shoot me.

Here in NM there is too much brainless machismo. Too many tough guys parading their hardware. I hear gunshots at night a couple times a week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here in Arizona we have Constitutional Carry so we don't need permission from corrupt politicians to exercise our Rights open or concealed. Before that we had a CCW Permit system and before that it was always OK to open carry. The CCW Permit is still available for those who want to carry in the few additional circumstances approved with a CCW and for the purpose of reciprocal carry in many other States. I will occasionally see someone open carrying and no one bats an eye except for the brainwashed snowbirds who visit here from anti-Constitutional totalitarian states. Sometimes when you live in an area that gets above 110 degrees it's hard to conceal carry when you're not wearing much to begin with.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
How many times are hard targets targeted first? Far less than those who look like soft targets. You admitted as such in your second paragraph and goes along with this article posted on Indiana Gun Owners:
The only thing I admitted to in second paragraph is even a half wit bad guy will typically not go up against superior fire power. However if one person is open carrying he would be easy for a bad guy to take him out first if he wanted to.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I guess to me, one should question the reason they are open carrying. Is it because you think where you are going you may need your gun quickly? If the place is the woods it makes sense. If the place is some rough neighborhood, I might choose not to go there.

I live in a bedroom county to a large city. There is little need to carry openly here. I do see it sometimes. Doesn’t bother me at all, just makes me smile and gives me a first impression.

·
Registered
428 Posts
How do you control what other people find "scary?" People can be scared of a dog, big or small. People can be scared of clowns. Hoplophobia happens. You can only control your feelings. Stop trying to control what other people feel. Also, if someone sees you carrying and you aren't scary, that breaks down that barrier of guns = bad.

I've had people come up to me and tell me they are scared of my gun. Clearly not because if you were, you wouldn't be coming up to me.
I am not trying to control what people find scary. I could not give a rat’s ass about that. As I said in my initial reply, I am simply trying to keep people’s eyes off of me. I do not need to be watched.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone here live in a state that allows open carry? If so, do you? They recently made a law in SC where if you have a permit you can open carry. I used to open carry when I was off duty LEO. I never thought twice about it then, but now I’m no so sure. I saw a bunch of videos where people were disarmed and it made me not so sure about it. I think if you do your alert level has to be much higher than if carrying concealed. I don’t think I’d do it now I’d rather just carry concealed.
I too am in SC, and have a cwp, but I never open carry, it can cause problems with certian individuals that are better off not being triggered. The law mainly is intended to make an occasional accidental display of a weapon legal in my opinion.

·
Registered
Security Six, GP100
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I too am in SC, and have a cwp, but I never open carry, it can cause problems with certian individuals that are better off not being triggered. The law mainly is intended to make an occasional accidental display of a weapon legal in my opinion.
That’s the way I look at the law too so no one can say you’re brandishing a firearm for accidentally exposing your weapon. But I have seen one person open carrying and he didn’t have a badge on so I’m assuming he wasn’t a LEO.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,582 Posts
On my farm, usually.

In town? I can but do not. Leave a bad guy guessing. So many who open carry here are just showing off.

Me? Gray Man. But when I spot open carry in a store, I often chat up the guy (always a guy) if the gun interests me. We talk about shooting at ranges, mods to the gun, and so on. It has the effect of calming down others skeeved by the gun.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts