Ruger Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You are opening a can of worms that has been beat to death in another thread. My comments can be found there.
Open carry in Virginia is legal, & I respect the ones that choose to do so. On the other hand, in public, open carry makes people nervous in todays climate. I am always wary of someone that does. Most of the time, it's a macho thing, & the people that do it really hope someone makes a comment about it, around where I live anyway. I'd rather keep my weapon out of sight, & out of mind.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think being "macho" has a lot less to do with people who open carry than what some here seem to think. My brother and cousin both have open carried for years. Why? Because they didn't want to get finger printed and have the government KNOW they may be carrying. They're not anti-govenment militia types but I know they don't want the state knowing anymore about them and what they do than what they already do. I know a couple of guys who won't buy any of their firearms from a store, they buy them all privately so there is no paper work. They really are the "what I have isn't anyone's business" types. I know there are more of them out there then yahoos wanting everyone to notice them. Now that we have constitutional carry here in Ohio they have been carrying concealed. They're still getting used to the discomfort of IWB but they'll get used to it, we all do eventually. Me, I got my license because I wanted to be able to carry in my office which had a policy of no open carry but concealed was ok. I also got my license so I could carry when I traveled. When I do open carry it's because I don't want to dress the way I normally do to conceal. Not to be "macho" but for my own comfort and when I'm working in the boonies I don't normally see anyone 29 days out of 30 so I don't worry much about someone sneaking up on me and taking my weapon.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I live in Texas, which is a Constitutional Carry with the option of an LTC (License To Carry.) I live in a very rural area and OC quite frequently. However, I still maintain my LTC, and when travel to the 'Big City' is required, I still CC. The idea is to be cognizant of the environment, One is dealing with. I seldom visit the Big City by design. Most of the Rural Towns in Texas and some areas of The Big Cities could care less about the idea of Open Carry. Also, Open Carry of Long Arms is Constitutionally Legal in the State of Texas. So, again, Freedom includes Responsibility, which in this scenario means discerning just what, when and where......................

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,264 Posts
Pretend you are a bad guy in a local convenience store with plans to rob it. You spot a customer in the store with his "open carry" gun visible. Your mission has suddenly changed from robbing the store to dealing with the open carry person that has become your highest threat and priority.

In my opinion, open carry in public is just a macho thing .... no different than being a bully .... an invitation for dominance, which I certainly don't need. Open carry has its place when hiking or hunting, but not in public areas. Concealed carry gives you the element of surprise where the bad guy doesn't know you are armed until it's too late for him. If you choose to not draw your weapon, at least you won't be the bad guy's target.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Agree with many here on choosing not to OC in a general public setting.
I don’t necessarily agree that OC ”invites” trouble/risk, as I haven’t seen credible evidence to support that.
I don’t do it, as others have stated, simply because I don’t want the “extra attention” that OC brings. I’ve seen it enough around here, and have observed how many others react………….not for me.
I’d much rather just melt into the crowd as just another old guy buying bananas.

That said, if things were to get “weird”…………..and given all the chit that is happening…..right now?
There‘s a legitimate possibility that society as we currently know it, will degrade, leading to unpleasantness.
In that scenario, I will go to OC in certain situations, while keeping my current CC in place as a BUG.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pretend you are a bad guy in a local convenience store with plans to rob it. You spot a customer in the store with his "open carry" gun visible. Your mission has suddenly changed from robbing the store to dealing with the open carry person that has become your highest threat and priority.
I'll have to disagree with that. Thieves are cowards. The last thing they want is a fair fight. When they see a guy carrying, their first thought would be is he a cop (trained), their second thought would be how many more people are armed in that store, and their final thought is to beat feet and find a softer target. The thief has absolutely no desire to fight for his booty. That takes work and risk and if they were not averse to work and risk, they would have a job.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'll have to disagree with that. Thieves are cowards. The last thing they want is a fair fight. When they see a guy carrying, their first thought would be is he a cop (trained), their second thought would be how many more people are armed in that store, and their final thought is to beat feet and find a softer target. The thief has absolutely no desire to fight for his booty. That takes work and risk and if they were not averse to work and risk, they would have a job.
It's not an agree/disagree sort of thing. Both you and Iowegan have solid points worthy of consideration...

...But consider this: Criminals come in all shapes and sizes. Smart ones, dumb ones. Some cunning, some just crazy.

Just a few examples of folks having their guns stolen from them. I'll grant that an almost criminally stupid lack of situational awareness exists in each one of these cases, but it does demonstrate that some criminals are willing to play some very stupid games if they think they can win a prize.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree with some of this. Another concern I have with OC is that now I’m broadcasting to the world, that I own a firearm, and most likely, multiple firearms. (I can’t substantiate this guess, but I’d bet that a large majority of those who carry, CC, or OC, own multiple firearms.)
It‘s simply something I’d like to keep to myself………….for as long as possible………for all the obvious reasons.
If things go to hell in a hand basket…………I’ll reassess my position.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does anyone here live in a state that allows open carry? If so, do you? They recently made a law in SC where if you have a permit you can open carry. I used to open carry when I was off duty LEO. I never thought twice about it then, but now I’m no so sure. I saw a bunch of videos where people were disarmed and it made me not so sure about it. I think if you do your alert level has to be much higher than if carrying concealed. I don’t think I’d do it now I’d rather just carry concealed.
I like people that open carry.
In case of violence, they make themselves the first target. I like to Not being the target!
In Tennessee, if you have an HCL, you may open carry. Our permitless carry requires that the person must "hide" the firearm in some fashion (under a coat, jacket, untucked shirt, etc).
Uninformed LEOs will break the law in this area as the videos show -- even when there is No law against in their juridiction.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes, I do. No, I do not.
I see knuckle heads all the time, and it rather amazes me how stupid they appear, yet how they're so cool.

I do carry concealed.

Reactions: SCCWP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone here live in a state that allows open carry? If so, do you? They recently made a law in SC where if you have a permit you can open carry. I used to open carry when I was off duty LEO. I never thought twice about it then, but now I’m no so sure. I saw a bunch of videos where people were disarmed and it made me not so sure about it. I think if you do your alert level has to be much higher than if carrying concealed. I don’t think I’d do it now I’d rather just carry concealed.
When you openly carry around stupid people, expect backlash, no matter what state or city. I openly carried in south (Valdosta) Georgia for years with minimal issues and openly carry in Hickory, NC. BUT there are places where stupid people will ruin your day.

In Georgia, no gun signs carry NO legal weight, openly carry in those places and you will be asked to leave. Conceal and carry on. In NC, signs carry legal weight so refuse to go into those places when I don't have to.

Just because it is legal, doesn't make it smart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are going to Open Carry you must take a Weapons Retention course!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Years ago, before OK passed constitutional carry and there was only concealed or open carry by permit only, there was a bill that would have allowed citizens to open carry without a permit. It never made it to a vote but it did make me wonder if I would do it. In that case, where in order to carry without a permit it had to be open carry I would have. That said, with having the option for concealed carry, I wouldn't.

Like yourself, I open carried when off duty as a police officer but I always had my badge clipped on next to my holster so it rarely weirded people out. There's no real benefit to open carry but there are several reasons why it's not the best idea. Doesn't make it a bad idea, just not the best idea.

These days my open carry is limited to being at home or in the woods.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Indiana has open carry but I carry concealed.

·
Registered
Security Six, GP100
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
When you openly carry around stupid people, expect backlash, no matter what state or city. I openly carried in south (Valdosta) Georgia for years with minimal issues and openly carry in Hickory, NC. BUT there are places where stupid people will ruin your day.

In Georgia, no gun signs carry NO legal weight, openly carry in those places and you will be asked to leave. Conceal and carry on. In NC, signs carry legal weight so refuse to go into those places when I don't have to.

Just because it is legal, doesn't make it smart.
Yeah in SC businesses have to have certain signs by law but if they have them you can’t carry there and I try to avoid these places but there aren’t that many really.

Years ago, before OK passed constitutional carry and there was only concealed or open carry by permit only, there was a bill that would have allowed citizens to open carry without a permit. It never made it to a vote but it did make me wonder if I would do it. In that case, where in order to carry without a permit it had to be open carry I would have. That said, with having the option for concealed carry, I wouldn't.

Like yourself, I open carried when off duty as a police officer but I always had my badge clipped on next to my holster so it rarely weirded people out. There's no real benefit to open carry but there are several reasons why it's not the best idea. Doesn't make it a bad idea, just not the best idea.

These days my open carry is limited to being at home or in the woods.
When I was a LEO I also clipped my badge right next to my gun so I never got a second look except from kids who seem to get a kick out of the badge and gun.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I do open carry it's because I don't want to dress the way I normally do to conceal. Not to be "macho" but for my own comfort and when I'm working in the boonies I don't normally see anyone 29 days out of 30 so I don't worry much about someone sneaking up on me and taking my weapon.

Agreed, it totally depends on the scenario. Problem is, government always wants to take a one-size-fits-all approach.

I live in a very rural area and OC quite frequently. The idea is to be cognizant of the environment, one is dealing with. Most of the Rural Towns in Texas and some areas of The Big Cities could care less about the idea of Open Carry. Also, Open Carry of Long Arms is Constitutionally Legal in the State of Texas. So, again, Freedom includes Responsibility, which in this scenario means discerning just what, when and where.

Yes, > 99% of us can be trusted to make the right choices. And the < 1% who don't are usually harmless enough.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Do you think you'd more likely be attacked by appearing to be a hard target or a soft target? How often do you see a gun store attacked during business hours vs a gas station?
All i am saying is if you want to carry if your state requires a license GET one. Everyday people do not need to open carry in this day and age. There is no wild west anymore. Open carrying just leads to other issues and just remember if you think you are bad there is someone else who is badder than you!

41 - 60 of 99 Posts