Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Open Carry

13K views 178 replies 78 participants last post by  Iowegan 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone here live in a state that allows open carry? If so, do you? They recently made a law in SC where if you have a permit you can open carry. I used to open carry when I was off duty LEO. I never thought twice about it then, but now I’m no so sure. I saw a bunch of videos where people were disarmed and it made me not so sure about it. I think if you do your alert level has to be much higher than if carrying concealed. I don’t think I’d do it now I’d rather just carry concealed.

#4 ·
Yes open carry loaded, no license needed here in Wa. In all the years living here I've only seen two people open carrying. Personally I don't in the city, only in the mountains and woods, for the very real reason that it does make you a target for a gun snatcher. Also I'm not one to call attention to myself and last but most importantly, if I ever do have to use it I would take great comfort in knowing that the last two words out of a scumbags mouth will be "OH (can't say the word so I will say)POOP!

#42 ·
Open carry in Virginia is legal, & I respect the ones that choose to do so. On the other hand, in public, open carry makes people nervous in todays climate. I am always wary of someone that does. Most of the time, it's a macho thing, & the people that do it really hope someone makes a comment about it, around where I live anyway. I'd rather keep my weapon out of sight, & out of mind.

#9 ·
CC only but I do see guys open carrying here in NC. I open carried when I hunted, a .22 when I deer hunted and a .45 when I squirrel hunted with a .22 rifle. CC give you the huge edge, the element of surprise. The bad guy’s going to already have his gun out and you don’t want to be perceived as a threat. Let him think you’re harmless until you can prove you’re not.

#10 ·
In NH open carry has been legal for as long as I can recall. I do it when I hunt but we have constitutional carry up here, so people just conceal. Keeps all those that moved up here from the deep blue So. New England from running screaming out the stores, regardless of how much fun that would be to watch I don't do it.

#12 ·
In Ohio we've had the right to open carry for a while and I've notice people open carrying. Most of the time LEOs will have a badge on their belt when open carrying but I see other people out and about 5/6 times a year. Nobody around here freaks out and runs screaming out the doors but the largest city I've seen it in is Dayton. Most of the time it's been in small towns. I open carry on my property and when working out in the boonies because it is more comfortable for me but CC the rest on the time.

#14 ·
If you do choose to open carry make sure you're using a holster with active retention devices. A thumb strap is really the bare minimum. Any open top holster is a no go if you're going to be in close proximity to anyone unfamiliar.

I only open carry out in country or somewhere relatively remote (IE camping, fishing, hiking).

City, suburbs or even in a small town concealed carry is the way to go.

I have no problem with anyone exercising their right to open carry but from my perspective I see very little upside and a very, very long list of potential complications.

#16 ·
Yes, my state "allows" me to OC and I do partake in such activity. Also, please see this thread regarding OC:

#17 ·
I think sometimes concealed and secured get interchanged. I believe strongly in the actual as written second amendment and freedom. There is no regulation on a gun I am a fan of. That said I am also pro individual responsibility. That heater on your hip is your responisibility. It gets swiped off your hip, thats on you too. And if swiped and used in a crime, you are looking at a potential felony.

#32 ·
I was surprised one day to see a guy ahead of me in line at malwart had a revolver in a holster. No indication he was a LEO or anything other than a regular guy.
I was glad to put distance between him and me. I don't have confidence that others are trained and practice to a high level. If there were a gun battle, there are two guys who may shoot me.

Here in NM there is too much brainless machismo. Too many tough guys parading their hardware. I hear gunshots at night a couple times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.