Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't condone it myself but I know several people here in Pennsylvania that open carry on a regular basis. There is no law forbiding it here. I am not comfortable OCing and don't think there's any advantage to doing so. Couple other forums I visit people are adamant about OCing and don't want to hear anyone say anything against it. Hope this doesn't get heated here.

Does anyone have any thoughts about OC?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
It is perfectly legal here (in KY), but I sure would not advise going to Louisville and trying it. Although they may not be able to arrest you for the gun, they could get you for disturbing the peace or some other charge I am sure. And if you have a CCW, it might get your liscense revoked. About the only place I open carry is on my property.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
In today's society, it's called "looking for trouble" to go to a town or city...causes fear, concern, stirs up punks, lights up the 911 boards...and, most importantly, gives up the element of surprise...I'm all for open carry in an environment where everyone knows you..small town, etc.....and I'd open carry where it was legal but my concealed license wasn't valid...but,where I can hide it,I don't want anyone knowing I have it till it's necessary...the one exception is that everyone in retail stores prone to robbery should open carry as a deterrant...other than a few remarks, carrying behind the counter of a store wouldn't make a big fuss...and would be a good deterrant..

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I don't think we need any laws against it but people should use common sense about it. Out in the woods or on the farm yes OK. In the city keep them concealed. I don't want anybody to know if I got one on till I use it. Just my HO.

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

It is perfectly legal here (in KY), but I sure would not advise going to Louisville and trying it. Although they may not be able to arrest you for the gun, they could get you for disturbing the peace or some other charge I am sure. And if you have a CCW, it might get your liscense revoked. About the only place I open carry is on my property.
Tim is right on there. No problems in the few areas left to hunt near here but where I live out on the edges of Louisville anyone carrying a gun openly on the street or other places WILL be stopped and not only questioned but probably go downtown for a while. The cops I've talked to don't worry much about people carrying concealed as long as they have the license.
Baker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Kinda boils down to good manners...don't wanta cause the LEOs a hassle when it's unneccessary...but it is a right guaranteed by state law and locals can't pre-empt it...just "suggest strongly" that you don't do it....and they can do that real effectively....in S'port we had an a..hole lawyer who every day at noon walked several blocks in the downtown business district with a pair of .45s on ...got so bad they assigned two beat cops to walk just behind him to soothe the public....only problem was, the prick didn't ride a horse home....we made our point...his insurance got real expensive and he decided to quit excercising his rights......

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree...concealed carry does not draw attention...open carry would, in most places. I do not like attention when I'm out in public.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Brings to mind an occurrence from quite a while ago while walking on a street in Latonia Kentucky. I felt eyes on me and turned to hear an officer in a cruiser say, “Pardon me Mr. B----, Could you at least pull your shirt tail over that gun in your back pocket?” I said “But then it would be concealed and that’s against the law.”
He said, “Yeah, but it makes people nervous.” I asked,”Ain’t that a good thing?” He laughed and said, “I guess you’re right. Be careful out there.”

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
We have open carry here too. The police will come and check you out but if you're not causing a ruckus they will leave you alone. I don't open carry. I'm with most of you, I want the element of surprise if shtf. I'd be a first target if the bad guy saw my gun. Granted it could deter the bad guy from causing a problem if he sees your carrying, but you never know. Now if everyone behind a counter carried open, I think a lot less places would get robbed.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I like cc, myself. Less trouble that way.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My wife and I like to take the dog for walks in the large state game area near our house. When ever we walk out their I always open carry (I alternate between 6" GP100 and P89). Mostly I just have it with in case the dog gets mixed up with a coon or coyote, but when your a long ways in the woods on a little two track with no one around, and someone comes along it's nice to have the non-verbal message of "If you have bad intent, you might want to think twice."

·
Registered
505 Posts
I agree with carrying concealed, but also agree with the open carry policy for retail locations. There is a gun store about an hour away from my house, and all the employees carry some sort of semi in a "in the pants waistline" holster. Defiantly make you think twice before trying to hold up a store with over a dozen armed employee's.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have been contemplating open carry myself for rare occasions. I Alabama I have always been told that open carry was against the law even by some local LEO and my concealed permit states that this license does not allow open carry. However a recent Attorney General opinion states that the is no law in Alabama that prohibits open carry while on foot. We do have laws that prohibit carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a permit.

Either way I will defiantly have a little chat with my local sheriff fist.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Johngoboom

My wife and I like to take the dog for walks in the large state game area near our house. When ever we walk out their I always open carry (I alternate between 6" GP100 and P89). Mostly I just have it with in case the dog gets mixed up with a coon or coyote, but when your a long ways in the woods on a little two track with no one around, and someone comes along it's nice to have the non-verbal message of "If you have bad intent, you might want to think twice."
I'd have to agree that in a case like this it's ok. I think anyone hiking in the woods should be able to open carry and not worry about it. Even a loose dog could cause you problems. There have been many people attacked and killed by someone's pet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nevada has no open carry prohibitions but some municipalities do. Some so far as to ban them in an automobile unless driving to or from a range I understand.

Now living in a rural part of the state... yes there is much more to Nevada than Las Vegas and Reno.... I can openly carry when I choose. My CCW allows me to be armed most all of the time.

Most of the local businesses tolerate open carry by customers. Most locals won't carry openly unless coming from or going to a place where the weapon is needed. And then they are discrete. Open carry and brandishing are not the same thing.

Hunting season brings a large influx of folks from LV and Kalifornia into our town and also the $$$ they bring to spend. A discrete handgun on a belt is rarely noticed any more than a hunting knife.

There are always a few who just don't seem to know what discrete means. The gun has to be all but waved arround. Coats pushed back to show off when getting a wallet, or anything else they can do to be sure the local yokels don't miss that gun they have.

There always follows a conversation about "short man's syndrome" or some other reference to inadequacies. Kind of a local joke.

Often those are "hunters" who stop to buy a truck full of beer and several bottles of higher proof adult beverages to help them stay warm and hunt better.

That said....Any time I ride my ATV I carry at least one and usually two guns. On the second or third ride on my new bike I was separated from my riding partner by a few minutes. I came upon a truckload of dove hunters who had more beer cans than shotgun shells in their truck. Way too many were empty for them to be driving. They appeared to be more loaded than their shotguns.

The driver and then his companions were not happy because I was riding down the same road that they were "hunting" on and had scared off all the doves. The narrow road wouldn't allow us to pass and one of us needed to back up. A few truck lengths behind them was a turn around area. It was at least a half-mile of brush behind me to a wide spot.

They stepped out of the truck to convince me I should back up. Drunks staggering with loaded shotguns isn't a fight I wanted to be part of. I told them that I was backing up but that I was armed and they needed to get back in the truck before things escalated to where none of us wanted the encounter to go. They kept advancing although none of them pointed anything at me I raised my jacket and reached for my Speed Six .357. My son rode up behind me at about the same time on his bike. I never drew my weapon but they saw it.

Seeing two of us and/or that I was armed helped them see the wisdom in not continuing down the path of confrontation. The three got back in the truck and backed up showering us with gravel turned around and drove away.

When I got cell service, something we don’t have much of in rural Nevada, I called the sheriff’s office and reported what had happened but the “hunters” were never located. There is plenty of empty space out here.

Before my next ride I obtained an inexpensive very large very black shoulder rig for my P85. 15 +1 and 2 X 15 in the off side mag holder. When I get on my ATV, whether I take any other gun or not, I wear this over the top of anything else I am wearing. You can’t miss it. I don’t ride in town so there is no open carry there. There is never any doubt about open carry when I ride!

I make every effort to ride with a partner. I never ride alone and always carry openly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Think about it this way, if open carry is legal, and enough people exercise the right, then it will become common place and ignored. Fail to exercise the right, and you have in effect given it up. By the way, I wonder what would happen after you sue the police for violating your rights when the stop you for carrying openly. Why not use the same tactics that the other guys use. Sue the crap out of them when "your" right are violated. Let's make some noise.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I guess they weren't THAT drunk---they realized they were fixin' to pee in their own oatmeal....and backed down....I'd add a scabbard and rifle to my riding gear!!! I have zero tolerance for those who drink while carrying/hunting/shooting....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got back from a weekend trip to Pittsburgh, and I brought along my Ruger .45 with a holster. I made it to the range while I was up there, and OC'd while there. It's not a really populated area of PA, it's a rural area outside of PGH.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Out in the country, oh yeah!!! Too much chance of running into a meth lab these days to stroll through the woods unarmed...

·
Registered
758 Posts
Insisting on open carry is a bit of an “in your face” statement of your rights. I think it actually generates more negative attention for our cause than anything that it puts on the positive side of the scale.

At any rate, I’ll leave the open carry at all times to the young “piss and vinegar” types. I think my crusading days are over.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts