Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my son a Beretta Neos. Hey, he likes strange looking stuff, but I must admit it's a nice handling .22. We got it a Cabela's. They added a Centerfire open red dot sight for a few bucks more. Well, the prism fell out of it the first time we fired the gun. Cabela's offered and exchange and gave us a BSA open sight. The laser/red dot on it cannot be seen when outdoors. Indoors it's fine. I'm looking to replace it with something that works good in bright light like the Bushnell TRS25 I have on my 22/45. My son does not like closed/tubular sights and wants to stick with an open one. I'd appreciate any recommendations on something sturdy, bright, and hopefully under 100 bucks if possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I have a Mueller and a Barska version of that same sight, which is also sold with the BSA, Counterpoint, Sightmark, NcStar, Truglo and other labels. It's the same sight, coming out of China, regardless of label. Price differences reflect some minor feature differences, but mostly the amount of QC the company able is willing or able to exercise to weed out the bad ones. The odds of getting a good one are better with the pricier versions, but, under $100 it's still something of a crap shoot.

The Mueller and Barska versions I have work, well, but I really don't like that style of red dot, so they don't see much use. That's me, though. Some folks like them and do very well with them. Best of luck.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I was shooting a Bullseye match outdoors a few summers ago when the sun got really bright and I lost the dot on my BSA

I ended up buying 2 Ultradot 25 mm sights.They have a polarizing filter to adjust for the brightness of the sun.

Yiogo

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
The Burris FastFire III holds my attention for top spot among non-defensive red dot sights.

The Trijicon Dual Illumination Green Dot RMR gets my favor for defensive red dots. I prefer the FFIII in general, but for a defensive pistol, there aren't many options for "always on" red dots. The Leup Deltapoint with motion activation is another option, good quality, but I had some issues with brightness adjustment.

The Bushnell TRS-25 is decent for what it is. The emitter in the FOV was very distracting at first, and for what it is, I'd rather have an open type (it's much more similar to an open than a tube type, but bulkier), but for the $65 it cost me, I keep using it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've got three red dot sights, two Barskas and a Burris FastFire. The Burris is best, by far; pun intended. The Barskas are barely adequate, but unwieldly; also inexpensive. I just received a new STI 2011 RangeMaster with a C-More red dot. Because it's my Christmas present it hasn't been touched yet. My local dealer saw the gun and commented that the sight is an excellent one. Since he is a former Ranger and was the unit armorer, I trust his judgement.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You might look at the Bushnell First Strike. It is similar in size to the Burris and while it isn't the quality of the Fast Fire III it should work fine for your son and it is a whole lot better than the Barska and its kin. You can find them for under $80 on flea bay.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I picked up a SureShot MicroShot at my local cabelas a couple months ago. I've been pleased with it. $70 I believe. Holds zero. It doesn't have adjustable brightness, but honestly I have shot on sunny and cloudy days and even if there was an adjustment I wouldn't have made one. The dot is small and allows accurate aiming at long range, but isn't too small to where it is hard to see. I very often impress the heck out of people at the range when I repeatedly make shotgun shells bounce around and fly everywhere at 25 yards. I also hate bulking optics on pistols and the size of this sight is good.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Go with the Burris fastfire . Outstanding little reddot.

image share

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love the Burris (as I'm sure my son would too) but it's hard (for me) to justify the price. It costs what I spent on the gun. I'm looking for something a little more modest in price but with decent features.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I second the Trijicon RMR, but it's a bit above your price point. I have a couple Burris Fast Fire IIs as well but not on any pistols.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I am very pleased with my $120.00 Primary Arms red dot.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
C-More's are nice.
20140306_121007 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

For something more affordable, most of the cheapies don't cut it, though the Browning branded style seems to have a good reputation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts