Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Open sights are still ok with me, but a scope at my age is so much better.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Best to be proficient with iron sights before using a scope. Most of us old guys were taught to shoot with iron sights, as a boy I hunted with a single shot 22 for rabbits and other small critters. In the Marines we had to qualify out to 500 yards with iron sights. Using iron will built good shooting habits.

Have fun.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Also depends on your shooting goals. If you are shooting for group size, a scope is almost mandatory. A scope also makes for a better squirrel and varmint gun, though I did pretty well in my younger days, hunting with iron sights. For fun and plinking, I still use iron sights on one of my 10/22s, but I also keep another 10/22 scoped and ready to go when these old eyes need the help of a scope.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think the firearm, target and distance is more important than age and eyesight, at least for me. I have open sights on my 10/22 International because all I use it for is plinking, casual target shooting and Squirrels. To me, that gun just doesn't work with a scope. If I work at it, I can still hit a Squirrel's head at 25-30 yds. I have a Browning T-Bolt Target/Varmint .22LR and I use a custom Leupold 6x scope on it. I don't hunt much deer or elk anymore but my style of hunting has always been deep woods or black timber. I've killed lots of bulls and deer and my longest shot was a measured 78 yds on elk and 168 yds on one whitetail. All other deer have been less than 100 yds. My only centerfire now is a Ruger RCM .308 with fixed sights. I also have it sighted in with a Leupold Custom FX2 3x scope but, so far, that has stayed in my day pack. My eyesight is not what it used to be, but at 70 yrs old I still prefer iron (for my style of hunting.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with the above two. Usually, at 100 and less, I prefer irons or a red dot. 100 plus, I like a scope. However, I'm now putting a rimfire scope on my 10/22, taking if from a plinking/training rifle to more a survival rifle. For the small critters, I want a little magnification.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Depends on what the firearm in question is used for. Those intended for close-range shooting - sights. Those intended for longer shooting - optics. Even then there's different choices made depending on what type of shooting as to what sight/optic is used.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I am 15, so my eyes aren't a problem. I have a good amount of experience with open sights and scopes (including hunting), and can honestly say I prefer a scope in 9 out of 10 situations. In fact, the only guns I have that don't have scopes, are shotguns. Scopes are better for recreational shooting as well as hunting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to the range with my son in law today and what a suprize! After not shooting for about 18 years I did good with a pistol but not with a rifle! I grouped every round at the top of the target. Tonight I am looking at sights for the rifle. I am so discusted. I survived cancer twice and lost my skill. I will not let this stop me shooting with my son in law. Going to buy a good scope.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I went to the range with my son in law today and what a suprize! After not shooting for about 18 years I did good with a pistol but not with a rifle! I grouped every round at the top of the target. Tonight I am looking at sights for the rifle. I am so discusted. I survived cancer twice and lost my skill. I will not let this stop me shooting with my son in law. Going to buy a good scope.
Good for you. You'll be back in no time. That's the spirit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.