Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought my AR556 as a present for my birthday, I think for Christmas I want a new knife. I currently carry a Spyderco Pacific Salt H1. I've narrowed down my choices to a Benchmade Barrage and a Zero Tolerance 350. I have handled both and like both, but can only afford one (dumb teachers salary). What are your guy's opinion?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Those are both great knives; of course I like custom handmade knives not only because I'm a knife maker but customs are one of a kind and normally resale value goes up if you get one from a well known maker.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Benchmade knives I've owned were very good quality knives. I haven't owned a Zero Tolerance but have heard they are good.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I own both Spyderco and Benchmade knives, but not the two specific models that you mention. My preference would be the Benchmade Barrage as I particularly like their axis lock system. My personal favorite Benchmade is the mini-griptillian model.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I only carry knives I can afford to replace, unfortunate things happen. That means ZT's are out, and the few Benchmades I've got stay in the safe. Spyderco's are right on the edge, although I did treat myself to an Endura this Christmas past. All that said, a USA made Kershaw Blur has been my steady most of this year. A decent piece for the money, and I won't need a second mortgage to replace it should something untoward happen.

·
Administrator
22,148 Posts
I only carry knives I can afford to replace, unfortunate things happen. That means ZT's are out, and the few Benchmades I've got stay in the safe. Spyderco's are right on the edge, although I did treat myself to an Endura this Christmas past. All that said, a USA made Kershaw Blur has been my steady most of this year. A decent piece for the money, and I won't need a second mortgage to replace it should something untoward happen.
I know what you mean I'm on my 3rd Kershaw 1660 Leek. I think one of my tricks is to set I down on the bumper on my truck when I am working on something.

OP in looking at the two I would go for the Benchmade based on looks alone.

·
Just minding my business
376 Posts
I can't afford ZT or Benchmade, I carry a Kershaw daily.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I prefer the Benchmade personally. But like some of the others, I carry a Kershaw Leek :) Can't afford to kill or lose a $125 edc.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I much prefer a nice USA made Kershaw one that I can afford. My current carry knife is a Kershaw plus my rotation knife is a Kershaw that I bought at Big 5 Sports last year paid $22.00 for it. This knife was on sale what's funny is this is a very well made knife the steel holds a edge very good also. I think this particular knife is made in China but I cannot find this labeled on my. Knife?? I have seen several name brand knives at Cabela's & look at them and see the typical made in China. Not that there isn't some good knives made from China I just prefer USA steel. My cheapo China made Kershaw does have the same solid feel that my stamped Ken Onion Kershaw knives have.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I like the looks of Bjanks knives!

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I carry a Spyderco

1 - 12 of 12 Posts